• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2019 10:43 pm
[OP]
Dec 25, 2005
470 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto

Costa Rica with kids

I have 3 kids between the ages of 3 and 10. Looking to do something for 1 week in July or August.

Was thinking Iceland because it would have some activity but the driving around and scenery is probably not that enjoyable for the kids.

Should I consider Costa Rica AI or a different island AI. Looking for ideas, would like for it to be a relaxing laid back vacation.

Thanks
9 replies
Dec 14, 2010
113 posts
29 upvotes
cuba.... not expensive and all inclusive. If you do go to cuba. Take your own Ketchup/mayo/ mustard ext... you prob wont like the ones they have there.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2579 posts
1765 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
whoam wrote: I have 3 kids between the ages of 3 and 10. Looking to do something for 1 week in July or August.

Was thinking Iceland because it would have some activity but the driving around and scenery is probably not that enjoyable for the kids.

Should I consider Costa Rica AI or a different island AI. Looking for ideas, would like for it to be a relaxing laid back vacation.

Thanks
Really depends on what you are looking for.

Costa Rica aren’t really known for their AI Resorts given there’s so much to see and do. If you are looking for AI / & lots to do Costa Rica is a good fit.

If you are looking more for a R&R trip and will spent the vast majority of your time at the resort I would look elsewhere (given the sargassum/ seaweed is back I would look at Jamaica or west coast of Mexico). Better AI experience.
Dec 24, 2006
470 posts
77 upvotes
Vancouver
Have been to both Cuba and CR... would agree with others that if you're looking for purely R&R, turn off your brain resort vacation, Cuba is more suited for that (though would be a shame to not explore outside of Varadero/Havana too, plus food is better outside the resorts).

Costa Rica is awesome if you're into wildlife... so many species and vastly different too. Bring telephoto lenses if you're into photography. August isn't really turtle season in CR but is still an unique experience to try and get closer to the rain forest (I did Tortuguero and it was a great experience). Though one thing to keep in mind also, CR being closer to the equator, basically has one season: hot and humid. My Nike Dri-Fit stuff did not dry under direct sunlight for 2 days (how do the locals do their laundry?)
Jun 14, 2006
685 posts
59 upvotes
GTA
The Dreams Las Mareas in CR is catered towards both adults and kids, check it out. Dreams Las Mareas.
Pretty close to the Nicaragua border as well, we did a 1 day excursion to Nicaragua, probably one of the best excursions we have done.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15432 posts
12633 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Great suggestions as far as places to go from the others

BUT seriously you want to venture this far south in July or August ?
It’s BEYOND HOT
And the closer to the equator you get
The more STINKING HOT it’s going to be

I cannot imagine this to be in anyway pleasant
Especially with kids in tow

I can hear the whining from here
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2579 posts
1765 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
PointsHubby wrote: Great suggestions as far as places to go from the others

BUT seriously you want to venture this far south in July or August ?
It’s BEYOND HOT
And the closer to the equator you get
The more STINKING HOT it’s going to be

I cannot imagine this to be in anyway pleasant
Especially with kids in tow

I can hear the whining from here
What does it matter? Many places are hot in the world in June-July- August-September even. Have you ever been to the Caribbean/Mexico or the southern Mediterranean in the summer?

Southern European in the summer (peak travel season) can and do heat up to well over 30 degrees + humidity. Inland European Cities (Rome for example) are like ovens yet there’s thousands of people standing in line/holding tickets for (outdoor) tourist attractions daily. The Caribbean/ Mexico temperature wise are going to be the same (low/mid 30s)- just more humidity in some cases. We have our share of heat waves here too? Hawaii for example, the temperature only varies within 5 degrees year round (same can be said for some Caribbean countries- Aruba comes to mind). Costa Rica, the only thing to keep in mind is wet and dry season (the scenery is certainly nicer during wet season tho IMHO).

Never understood the “too hot” thing for a beach vacation. By the ocean (no matter where you are) you will always get some sea breeze and have pools/oceans for your relief. Restaurants/resorts have AC in the Caribbean for comfortable sleeping.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1367 upvotes
Not sure why someone would want to go to CR in the summer.

But there's tons of stuff to do around San Jose if you plan. A day trip to Cartago (if you're Catholic, the Basilica is there, which is quite the sight to behold!). A day white-water rafting*. A day to visit the butterfly museum. A day to walk around downtown, the markets, etc. A day trip to the famous Arrenal volcano.

*On second thought, with a 3 year-old...maybe not.
Jul 15, 2006
940 posts
102 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Wondering how safe is it as a destination. I see travel advisory suggesting to avoid travel to Costa Rica.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1367 upvotes
Shop-a-holic wrote: Wondering how safe is it as a destination. I see travel advisory suggesting to avoid travel to Costa Rica.
Pretty safe. Unless you go looking for trouble. The East coast (ie: Limon) is apparently much rougher.