Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

(1199.97$) Apple 13 in. MacBook Air, Space Grey, Apple M1 Chip, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2022 11:40 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2006
1440 posts
816 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
I'm glad I opted for the student gift card deal awhile back as I felt I needed 16 GB/256 GB combo more than this one. But depends on your usage needs.
Beware the RFD Effect
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2733 posts
3964 upvotes
Saw the tag for this in the Brampton store earlier today.
May 23, 2019
54 posts
39 upvotes
Only the 8GB model is available here, but the 16GB memory upgrade will prolong the useful life of your laptop by a few years.

I have the 16GB M1 Macbook Air that I use for work. I typically have 5-10 Word, Excel and Powerpoint windows, a dozen or so browser tabs, Mail, Calendar, Outlook etc. My Mac uses around 12GB of memory during typical office work. If I open up too many large Excel sheets, it slows to a crawl and I need to reboot to fix the issue. Some office apps also have memory leaks and end up using 2-3GB of memory each. Pretty sure I'd have a rough time with my workflow if I had only 8GB.
Feb 22, 2010
646 posts
867 upvotes
it's 1394$ on Apple website (edu), and you get a 210$ gift card this weekend.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
7478 posts
1467 upvotes
Ottawa
douber wrote: it's 1394$ on Apple website (edu), and you get a 210$ gift card this weekend.
No, gift card cannot be combined with educational discount
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
douber wrote: it's 1394$ on Apple website (edu), and you get a 210$ gift card this weekend.
Already discussed in the [Apple] [Black Friday] Apple Black Friday Shopping Event

You can not combine education pricing with the Black Friday gift card offer.

Read the Apple Shopping Event 2022 Terms and Conditions
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/gifts/sho ... conditions
Last edited by Dhanushan on Nov 23rd, 2022 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Destiny is all
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2733 posts
3964 upvotes
Rivet is correct, deals can not be combined.

Also available as a refurb direct from Apple.
Nov 24, 2019
224 posts
192 upvotes
8gb going to handicap you for long term. Saying from someone still using 2012 mbp
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2006
1223 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
To anyone wondering about 8gb of ram being enough, macOS handles RAM differently and way more efficiently than windows (i’m a windows user). 8gb on macOS is good for everyday multitasking (browser, email, messaging, video call simultaneously… I also often ran a game creator engine and design tools at the same time on this machine).
May 30, 2021
88 posts
120 upvotes
dailce wrote: is this good for gaming? roblox? school? might buy it for my kid.
I am using this machine for 2 years. It's a decent machine and will run roblox/minecraft without any issues.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
7478 posts
1467 upvotes
Ottawa
16GB ram is certainly more future proofing, but once you start to upgrade each component, you will find 256G limiting in the future as well, so you want 16G ram, 512G storage. Then you will realized you already spend that much, why not $200 more to get lastest redesigned M2 model, now with M2 air, 16G ram and 512G storage, you will find you are only $300 away from 14 M1 pro MBP, which has much better performance, 120 hz mini-LED display, ports etc. Now you end up buying sth. twice more expensive than your original M1 MBA. Anyway, what I mean is that nothing is future proof enough, sure ram is one bottleneck, but even if you go 16GB ram, you will want to upgrade for other reasons, like storage, better screen, new design etc. whatever in the future, best to just get what is enough for you now and sell the whole computer when you want to upgrade.
May 30, 2021
88 posts
120 upvotes
TheRedFlower wrote: 8gb going to handicap you for long term. Saying from someone still using 2012 mbp
No it won't!

Like @Mikey7 said, apple silicon rams are different than Intel based device rams. They are in-chip rams, therefore M1 chip is faster and needs less ram compared to intels. There are tons of videos about this for a couple of years now.
It's a very solid machine.
Last edited by deryowski on Nov 23rd, 2022 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 21, 2009
517 posts
261 upvotes
rivet wrote: 16GB ram is certainly more future proofing, but once you start to upgrade each component, you will find 256G limiting in the future as well, so you want 16G ram, 512G storage. Then you will realized you already spend that much, why not $200 more to get lastest redesigned M2 model, now with M2 air, 16G ram and 512G storage, you will find you are only $300 away from 14 M1 pro MBP, which has much better performance, 120 hz mini-LED display, ports etc. Now you end up buying sth. twice more expensive than your original M1 MBA. Anyway, what I mean is that nothing is future proof enough, sure ram is one bottleneck, but even if you go 16GB ram, you will want to upgrade for other reasons, like storage, better screen, new design etc. whatever in the future, best to just get what is enough for you now and sell the whole computer when you want to upgrade.
rfd treadmill is real
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7843 posts
9202 upvotes
Vancouver
deryowski wrote: No it won't!

Like @Mikey7 said, Mac Rams are different than Intel rams. They are in-chip rams, therefore M1 chip is faster and needs less ram compared to intels. There are tons of videos about this for a couple of years now.
It's a very solid machine.
It's not magic. 8GB is still 8GB. Apple has a fast SSD to hide disk swap performance. If you do content creation or load many tabs, 8GB will bog down.

There's a reason why Apple puts 16GB on iPad Pro, even though it's not a "computer."
Oct 3, 2018
134 posts
219 upvotes
People who are saying the 8gb is a bottleneck are just assuming and have never done any actual real-world tests.

There are people who have tested this on YouTube and the amount of things you need to do to finally a notice a difference in speed from 8gb and 16gb is extreme and more than most users (and even professional users) . And no, it’s the amount of chrome tabs, music, photo editing while in a zoom call that will make any difference. The only time you’ll notice is when you’re exporting an 8k red raw file with many effects added and the RAM is fully utilized. Only then will you notice that extra RAM makes a difference in export speed. But for daily use there will be no difference in how snappy the computer is. The 8gb and 16gb will perform identically in 99% of cases.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2006
1223 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Spinner wrote: It's not magic. 8GB is still 8GB. Apple has a fast SSD to hide disk swap performance. If you do content creation or load many tabs, 8GB will bog down.

There's a reason why Apple puts 16GB on iPad Pro, even though it's not a "computer."
right, it’s not magic, it’s called computer engineering. the M1 is way more efficient than any intel processor. people see big numbers and go “wow”, it’s like comparing the specs of a galaxy device vs. an ios device. you can’t. iOS and macOS are way more efficient, even moreso now with apple using their own silicon. i’ve used this computer for years and multitasked with exactly what i said in my post above. the only time there was a bit of stress was when running the game creator engine, that’s it.

i’m a PC gamer but this is undeniable, it’s science, not magic.
May 30, 2021
88 posts
120 upvotes
mintfrog wrote: Only the 8GB model is available here, but the 16GB memory upgrade will prolong the useful life of your laptop by a few years.

I have the 16GB M1 Macbook Air that I use for work. I typically have 5-10 Word, Excel and Powerpoint windows, a dozen or so browser tabs, Mail, Calendar, Outlook etc. My Mac uses around 12GB of memory during typical office work. If I open up too many large Excel sheets, it slows to a crawl and I need to reboot to fix the issue. Some office apps also have memory leaks and end up using 2-3GB of memory each. Pretty sure I'd have a rough time with my workflow if I had only 8GB.
If anyone wonders especially about M1 chrome handling (8gb/512 ram):
The time I am writing this I have;
- Two chrome windows open one with 71 and the other with 79 tabs open = 150 tabs (displaying to 4K@60Hz so I can view them all with ease)
- Occasional streaming music/4K video from web
- Adobe Photoshop open with at least 5 files
- Excel with at least 10 docs, each has around 1000 rows or data
- 3-4 times zoom or hangouts a day.
- Occasional gaming (art of rally and some other 3D games)
- Easy 8-9 hours on battery (I unplug the power when the battery is charged)

This is my daily config for any given day, not less and sometimes more. All with a silent, fanless peaceful environment.

Coming from intel-based machines ever since, Apple silicon is the holy grail of everyday use for me, with lots of power and no intel machine can ever match this, at least for another 10 years.
Aug 30, 2009
282 posts
359 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
targ3t wrote: i know its a macbook and they're great at optimizing memory, but is 8gb functional and long-lasting? especially when its shared with the GPU?
I've been using the 8Gb M1-based Air to build apps for iOS, Android, Ubuntu and it's been fine. Compilers are some of the more demanding processes, so I'm sure there are other uses which will max out the hardware capabilities, but those uses would be far and few between.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)