Expired Hot Deals

Costco

120 Watt Solar Panel Kit - $200

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2022 12:39 pm
Dec 31, 2012
50 posts
75 upvotes
For RV use, I have similar Colman 70W setup without inverter. Slightest shade on any bit of panel will kill the output.
It is proper game trying to avoid slightest shade from a leaf or a branch falling on the panel.
At best it could barely charge two phones. If you depend on Solar you might want to consider a better product.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1499 posts
427 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I have 2 or 3 old buy still good car battery, can I daisy chain a couple of these and run my batteries in parallel? Might be good enough for outdoors cams and lights.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
8550 posts
4437 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
DasHip wrote: I live in the NWT. Guaranteed we're close than most of you on here. MANY people use solar panel setups here, all the time, for houseboat living, remote cabins, etc. -40 here tonight and they'll still be operating. Have to be conscious of gas sure, but pretty sure lots have their setups)banks indoors. On the grid here, so one less hassle/worry for me...

Not having to haul more gas/rely on it completely definitely another convenience with these over generators. Some here use wind-power)small turbines too. Many are completely off-grid and use a mix of many (propane, gas for the Genny, solar, wind). All-weather, can be in -60s with the wind chills, but real temps in -40s for at least a couple weeks in a year.

Apparently I have my calculations wrong slightly on last post (didn't think of how much energy could be stored in battery bank over time, but was thinking of overall power gen instantaneous 200*8=~ 1600 watts, not taking into account inefficiencies and degradation over time of solar panels. Another thing to note efficiency of panels does go down over time. Apparently it degrades though and then stays pretty steady.
The panel is 120w each max in peak hours. How you get 200x 6? In winter, you will be lucky to get perhaps 30W each if your panel is facing the right direction.
Wind turbine power generation is a lot more mature than solar. Solar in here is pretty much useless in winter time.
I really cannot imagine how anyone can use solar to generate heat for warmth during winter time. Perhaps you have a huge battery bank that stored a lot of energy during summer?
I just want to be realistic about what this panel can do. Either have a huge battery bank to store energy during summer time or use this as a unreliable source of power for non essential things.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Mar 7, 2011
606 posts
847 upvotes
2Sedins1Cup wrote: buying to charge tesla ty
I mounted on the roof of my tesla. Drove to California and back without stopping.
Jan 20, 2003
213 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
allanbradl wrote: For shady campsites I recommend to use a nice 450 watt panel, they are really cheap these days and have an upgraded charge controller. It will be sufficient unless the shade is really thick. Thats my setup.
Got a link to the cheap 450 watt panel and charge controller you're using?
Feb 2, 2015
206 posts
114 upvotes
Victoria, BC
allanbradl wrote: chargers for kids.
See, I upgraded to the nuclear power kids. They have their own contained energy and I no longer need to charge them.

Okay, I'll see myself out - Sorry
Deal Addict
May 24, 2011
1673 posts
544 upvotes
Canada
yashgandhi wrote: I mounted on the roof of my tesla. Drove to California and back without stopping.
Good to know! Gonna try this during winter :P
==
Telus iPhone 11 Pro
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
1430 posts
3331 upvotes
vnkvnk wrote: Agree!!!!
Decide what are you looking for and how often you would/may need it. IMO, nothing is beating the generator. Lower cost, more power. The only case your solar panel may win - maybe a cottage, with a lot of power outages FOR A LONG TIME and you are not there. but you would like to see your camera. Even then, you would need either switch or "on-grid" inverter
Without being green do your match - $ per watt.
The solar panel is still too expensive, especially with our limited amount of sun. Unless you are under "Thunberg" influence
I'll never understand fully-grown adults who villainize a kid, asking adults to stop destroying the planet. It's beyond me.

There are plenty of uses for a solar power solution, where a generator doesn't make sense, or is untenable. Most stratas, obviously don't allow generators to be run in condos, or on balconies. During the last power outage on Vancouver island, we used a few of these panels to survive four days without power.
[OP]
Jul 19, 2021
78 posts
402 upvotes
vnkvnk wrote: The solar panel is still too expensive, especially with our limited amount of sun. Unless you are under "Thunberg" influence
no, it is the exact opposite of the thunberg influence
the thunberg influence is the obama et al. influence of throwing $500 million at solardyne, with zero return for you and i (except a massive bill)

i am offering the first step to extrication from their influence, what do you believe would happen if individuals were not 100% beholden to their energy whims?
would we still have a robust oil & gas industry, yup, but their gravy train is empty, the actual on-ground boots prosper while they wither

one seeks to dominate, one seeks to free
we are on the same side
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
3299 posts
2746 upvotes
Markham
JulienB1920 wrote: Thanks op for the effort. Opvoted.

So 200$ but then 1000$ to actually use it.
Kinda like a typical Costco trip. Go in to buy an item or two, walk out with a $700 cart full of stuff.

Freedom Mobile $40/20GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
[OP]
Jul 19, 2021
78 posts
402 upvotes
MarriedMan wrote: I have one small solar panel Mounted for lights only. Problem is in winter they simply don't get enough sunlight to fully charge the battery. So I would not count it as an emergency use. And for regular use, definitely no. The price perbkw is toooooo high and by using a battery I'm not doing much favor to environment. I would rather get a small generator
these are better unmounted and using the stand (you can even modify for greater angles in summer), then you can manually track the sun
roof mount is easier, but the trade-off is far less power generated
[OP]
Jul 19, 2021
78 posts
402 upvotes
Kafer wrote: Thanks OP!

Question for any RV or battery experts... I have an RV with a dual 6V battery setup. It has a roof mounted 100W panel, but I'm interested in this for those shady campsites. The specs say this works with a 12V battery only. Will this work with my dual 6V setup?
yes, your 6 volt batt's are wired in series to make a 12v battery bank

as above, i would recommend a set of longer cables and use the panel stand to move them into the sun
cheap trick, get the 12/2 extension cords from costco, cut to about 30-40', this is the cheapest 12 gauge wire you will find
with the remaining length simply make a shorter extension cord

here is a decent vid that may help you get some ideas:

[OP]
Jul 19, 2021
78 posts
402 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Solar is just a gimmick in Canada. It is utterly useless if you want something reliable.
stick to burying nuts my friend, you are not making sense here

i lived completely offgrid in canada for a dozen years, 2 person full-time household with all the normal household amenities
my system was 600watts solar and a 500watt wind turbine with a 1440amphr battery bank
[OP]
Jul 19, 2021
78 posts
402 upvotes
elfion wrote: If you don't want the inverter and just interested in the panel, wouldn't it be cheaper to get some flexible panels from china on AliExpress?
those flex panels from ali express are hit or miss in terms of quality, with little to no recourse if there are issues
overlapping cells, undergauged wire, inadequate soldering, short-circuits, etc.

if these costco panels (or panels bought from a reputable local dealer) are bunk, there will be no issue exchanging
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
8550 posts
4437 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
timestop wrote: stick to burying nuts my friend, you are not making sense here

i lived completely offgrid in canada for a dozen years, 2 person full-time household with all the normal household amenities
my system was 600watts solar and a 500watt wind turbine with a 1440amphr battery bank
I am wondering which part does not make sense?
Because if it doesn't make any sense, why would you
1. Have a wind turbine
2. Have a 1440Ah battery bank?
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
[OP]
Jul 19, 2021
78 posts
402 upvotes
crawford wrote: Got a link to the cheap 450 watt panel and charge controller you're using?
if they don't come back with a more local solution, check out modern outpost's offerings here
those larger panels are higher voltage, so you may need to ensure your charge controller will suffice (mppt not pwm)
[OP]
Jul 19, 2021
78 posts
402 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote: I am wondering which part does not make sense?
Because if it doesn't make any sense, why would you
1. Have a wind turbine
2. Have a 1440Ah battery bank?
i see where you went completely askew in your thinking, and why no-one can understand what you are talking about

nobody uses solar panels as a direct energy source to power anything, the energy goes to a battery and is used from there
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
4294 posts
3379 upvotes
Ontario
torontotim wrote: Are people seriously asking about running microwaves and hot tubs off a $200 solar setup? Or is the sarcasm just not translating through the posts?
What is wrong with doing that on a 20 x $200 setup ;)
---
Nov 26, 2021
71 posts
205 upvotes
timestop wrote: these are better unmounted and using the stand (you can even modify for greater angles in summer), then you can manually track the sun
roof mount is easier, but the trade-off is far less power generated
I actually do have a plan to make a automatic sun tracker. But when ii have some more money to spend without thinking hydro bill Face With Tears Of Joy
Dec 10, 2008
291 posts
193 upvotes
We have a Tesla power wall and dreams of roof mounted solar but I've given up because I don't want to mess with our aging concrete tile roof. I should just quickly back out of this thread, right, and not consider this option for a second?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)