120 Watt Solar Panel Kit - $200

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2022 12:39 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
6344 posts
5777 upvotes
Ottawa
aptar wrote: We have a Tesla power wall and dreams of roof mounted solar but I've given up because I don't want to mess with our aging concrete tile roof. I should just quickly back out of this thread, right, and not consider this option for a second?
These are more portable; you would probably need a substantial system to charge that.
I still want to mount this on my shed for shed power rotflmao.
Dec 2, 2007
169 posts
313 upvotes
timestop wrote: yes, your 6 volt batt's are wired in series to make a 12v battery bank

as above, i would recommend a set of longer cables and use the panel stand to move them into the sun
cheap trick, get the 12/2 extension cords from costco, cut to about 30-40', this is the cheapest 12 gauge wire you will find
with the remaining length simply make a shorter extension cord

here is a decent vid that may help you get some ideas:

Awesome, thanks!

On a side note, I'm surprised a small RV solar kit has created so much discussion! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
6344 posts
5777 upvotes
Ottawa
Kafer wrote: Awesome, thanks!

On a side note, I'm surprised a small RV solar kit has created so much discussion! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Yeah, I'm surprised at the amount of negativity threads like this create.
Great video. Always wanted to go down the solar rabbit hole.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2646 posts
96 upvotes
GTA
theflyingsquirrel wrote: I am wondering which part does not make sense?
Because if it doesn't make any sense, why would you
1. Have a wind turbine
2. Have a 1440Ah battery bank?
So let me get this straight.

Simply because solar needs batteries to give power when you want it, that means "Solar is just a gimmick in Canada"?

You extol wind power, but what about the summer months when wind dies down for weeks at a time and trips to remote areas is way more frequent?

This is a small Costco panel for niche applications, and we're on RFD ffs, where you will literally find thousands of near-useless things for sale. I don't see you whining about all those...
Oct 5, 2010
39 posts
35 upvotes
canada
Anyone have a thought on how long this would take to charge up a boat battery and trolling motor battery. Or if it would even work well? We don’t have power at our dock and this might be a good option. Thanks
Dec 10, 2008
289 posts
172 upvotes
Konowl wrote: These are more portable; you would probably need a substantial system to charge that.
I still want to mount this on my shed for shed power rotflmao.
Yeah, these wouldn't be the right product. But more generally, thinking about a a DIY with several panels (8-10x) getting up to maybe 3kw. Of course, then placement and permitting is the challenge.
Dec 16, 2020
165 posts
208 upvotes
Ive been waiting like 20 yrs for these to get cheaper.. and its still expensive asf and useles..
xtreme to the maximum
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2001 posts
1612 upvotes
I was thinking of getting a solar panel for camping. However I wanted to connect to a solar generator. I dont plan to carry around a 12V battery. Anybody know if this would charge a solar generator?

Also this doesnt appear to be monocrystaline which I believe is the most efficient.
Dec 27, 2011
184 posts
250 upvotes
Sherwood Park
wpgthug wrote: Anyone have a thought on how long this would take to charge up a boat battery and trolling motor battery. Or if it would even work well? We don’t have power at our dock and this might be a good option. Thanks
Its all in the math.. Figure out how many amp hours are in your trolling motor battery is. Then you can figure out how long it would take to charge in full sun.

E.g.

12V @ 98Ah (means you can draw 98A for an hour or 1A for 98h or anything in between)
Deep cycle lead acid batteries should NOT be drawn below %50 so you have 48Amp Hours of usable energy. Lets assume you draw it all.

So that solar kit can put out a maximum of about [email protected] (in full sun at high noon). So if we average that out to about 7A over a day.
48 divided by 7 = 6.85 hours to recharge a typical marine deep cycle battery from %50!
Dec 27, 2011
184 posts
250 upvotes
Sherwood Park
sks8100 wrote: I was thinking of getting a solar panel for camping. However I wanted to connect to a solar generator. I dont plan to carry around a 12V battery. Anybody know if this would charge a solar generator?

Also this doesnt appear to be monocrystaline which I believe is the most efficient.
What is a solar generator? I have never heard of anything like that? Are you talking about a power station (like a Jackery or Bluetti)!

As to Poly vs Mono, in a system of this size it makes pretty much ZERO difference. Even in larger systems, the technologies are close enough now that you can go with either. There are advantages and disadvantages to both (e.g one is better in cloudy situation, one is better in hotter climates).
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2001 posts
1612 upvotes
travellerw wrote: What is a solar generator? I have never heard of anything like that? Are you talking about a power station (like a Jackery or Bluetti)!

As to Poly vs Mono, in a system of this size it makes pretty much ZERO difference. Even in larger systems, the technologies are close enough now that you can go with either. There are advantages and disadvantages to both (e.g one is better in cloudy situation, one is better in hotter climates).
sorry yes by solar generator I mean jackery or bluetti
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
8506 posts
4382 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
sks8100 wrote: I was thinking of getting a solar panel for camping. However I wanted to connect to a solar generator. I dont plan to carry around a 12V battery. Anybody know if this would charge a solar generator?

There is probably a battery inside the solar generator already. Check your model.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
2800 posts
1655 upvotes
ontario

i think what you are referring to as solar generator is actually just a 12v deep cycle encased in a fancy enclosure with an inverter built in
Mar 11, 2018
44 posts
37 upvotes
itemsale2003 wrote: So why do I need the inverter from Canadian Tire when the panel already includes a 300W inverter
300 watts wont go very far, also quality is important in inverters.
Jan 20, 2003
207 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
The Coleman is a complete unit, in that it includes the solar panel, a charge controller, and a power inverter. Still need a battery, though. You might have guessed from the comments here: 120W isn't really that much, the charge controller is pretty low-end and inefficient, and it's the same story for the inverter. But for a specific and limited use, it might be ok in the right circumstance.

The Bluetti you linked to includes only the panel. The panel is more portable and likely more efficient than the Coleman. It's sold as an accessory for a Bluetti solar generator, which already has a charge controller and inverter built-in. The quality of the latter two will depend on which solar generator you pair the panels with, but all are likely to be of higher quality (and much more expensive) than the Coleman. Of course, the Bluetti doesn't need to be matched with other Bluetti products - you can use your own solar charge controller, battery, inverter, etc.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
1178 posts
252 upvotes
Ontario
theflyingsquirrel wrote: For 1500w with 12v battery, you need to run 125A. What wire you think you need to carry 125A?
Rebar. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Apr 9, 2008
544 posts
239 upvotes
Bby
The best part about this kit is the Costco return policy. Ultimately that's probably what most people will end up doing with it.

For a similar price (though without the nearly useless 300w inverter) better, more complete options are available.

https://ca.renogy.com/100w-12v-monocrys ... ontroller/ 161.99 or $145 after 10% off code (willprowse)

https://ca.renogy.com/renogy-100-watt-1 ... arter-kit/
Same as above, but with a 30a charge controller, which will allow you to expand the system with up to 3 more panels. $199, or $179 after 10% discount code.
And for $50 or so more, you can get a portable send contained folding kit.
Nov 22, 2014
25 posts
3 upvotes
Ladysmith, BC
This is not really a great deal. The panel is suspect and the charge controller is a complete POS. You can get a renogy 100 watt high quality panel off amazon for $100 and a decent PWM charge controller for 30 that has a display, USB charge ports, Multiple battery support AGM, Lithium etc. The inverter is a 20 buck POS as well but even still you would be at 150 and have way better equipment. If you are going to get multiple panels its worth the dough to buy a decent MPPT charge controller. they start at 100.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)