$1599.99 Acer Predator Gaming Desktop i5-11400F, 3060ti, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2021 12:02 pm
[OP]
Dec 15, 2019
654 posts
2123 upvotes
Markham

[Costco] $1599.99 Acer Predator Gaming Desktop i5-11400F, 3060ti, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD

Last edited by Minimo07 on Dec 7th, 2021 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thread Summary
Not the specs you're looking for? Check out RFD Reviews' top picks for the best gaming desktops!
90 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
3420 posts
2096 upvotes
West Coast
Anyone seen a teardown review on this? Love to get an idea of the insides/components
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
2912 posts
1232 upvotes
Acer is a trash brand, they've cut corners galore on even the I/O panel on this one, who knows what kind of a mess it is inside.

The price is pretty ok though.

This is what it is...

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IL/content/p ... .E2CET.00A

500watt PSU... wow.

A few youtube videos show these guys use 2600 ram and it's trash ram at that.

This is an expensive shuck but it appears that GPU is an 8GB one it says "UP to 8GB" for the size of it on the website.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1357 posts
1372 upvotes
Ottawa
ph00p wrote: Acer is a trash brand, they've cut corners galore on even the I/O panel on this one, who knows what kind of a mess it is inside.

The price is pretty ok though.

This is what it is...

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IL/content/p ... .E2CET.00A

500watt PSU... wow.

A few youtube videos show these guys use 2600 ram and it's trash ram at that.

This is an expensive shuck but it appears that GPU is an 8GB one it says "UP to 8GB" for the size of it on the website.

Yeah I saw this at Costco and laughed. Save your money and buy a prebuilt elsewhere if you need something.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
2139 posts
1413 upvotes
Richfields wrote: Anyone seen a teardown review on this? Love to get an idea of the insides/components
I'm using it as my daily driver.
  • It's an 12VO ITX B560 motherboard. The motherboard is wider than your usual ITX board to compensate for the 12Vo circuitry
  • The motherboard does not give the user access to XMP, so you are limited to 3200CL22 (fastest 1.2V RAM I've seen so far, and what it ships with).
  • Since you can't do it in the locked down bios, I've resorted to using an app called ThrottleStop to remove power limits.
  • The custom backplate is integrated to the socket, so upgrading the stock CPU Fan (which is extremely loud and ineffective) is a bit of a hassle. I used ODD screws to mount an existing 120MM tower cooler on mine. (I had to use the glass panel as the metal one would touch the top of the heatpipes. -- Most people with this PC use the 90MM Noctua one
  • There are 4 12V RGB headers. All of them are in use.
  • Mine came with a non LHR 3060Ti, which I sold to buy a quieter and cheaper GPU
  • The PSU only has 8+6pin PCIe power. Which makes finding compatible GPUs a bit harder.
  • There are 2 unused SATA ports and 1 NVME slot. The motherboard can support power to 4 SATA drives but only comes with cables for 2.
  • You could improve the thermals quite a bit if you remove the metal mesh on the top and front of the case.
  • Motherboard supports a maximum of 64GB of RAM
  • The Ethernet port is an Intel E2600 (I was expecting realtek at this price point, so that's a plus)
Outside of the lack of XMP, I'm pretty happy with the PC. Performance is great and after upgrading the CPU fan and replacing the GPU my build is silent.

This PC uses a standard American Mega Trend bios. So I do have hopes someone will release an unlocked bios for this board.. but until then I'll have to settle for these loose timings.

No video IO on the back means you can't run this PC without a gpu (even if you upgrade to a non F sku)

If this PC still has non LHR cards, then this is a strong buy imo. I'm thinking of buying a 2nd one as a spare tbh...

EDIT:
If it isn't non-LHR anymore than I wouldn't buy without a price drop.
I think I've seen Newegg and CanadaComputer bundles at similar price points, but those came with LHR cards.
ie. Like this one (now dead) newegg-abs-gaming-desktop-3060ti-1599-s ... r-2502505/
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1357 posts
1372 upvotes
Ottawa
PerformingAzura wrote: I'm using it as my daily driver.
  • It's an 12VO ITX B560 motherboard. The motherboard is wider than your usual ITX board to compensate for the 12Vo circuitry
  • The motherboard does not give the user access to XMP, so you are limited to 3200CL22 (fastest 1.2V RAM I've seen so far, and what it ships with).
  • Since you can't do it in the locked down bios, I've resorted to using an app called ThrottleStop to remove power limits.
  • The custom backplate is integrated to the socket, so upgrading the stock CPU Fan (which is extremely loud and ineffective) is a bit of a hassle. I used ODD screws to mount an existing 120MM tower cooler on mine. (I had to use the glass panel as the metal one would touch the top of the heatpipes. -- Most people with this PC use the 90MM Noctua one
  • Mine came with a non LHR 3060Ti, which I sold to buy a quieter and cheaper GPU
  • The PSU only has 8+6pin PCIe power. Which makes finding compatible GPUs a bit harder.
  • There are 2 unused SATA ports and 1 NVME slot. The motherboard can support power to 4 SATA drives but only comes with cables for 2.
  • You could improve the thermals quite a bit if you remove the metal mesh on the top and front of the case.
  • The Ethernet port is an Intel E2600 (I was expecting realtek at this price point, so that's a plus)
Outside of the lack of XMP, I'm pretty happy with the PC. Performance is great and after upgrading the CPU fan and replacing the GPU my build is silent.

This PC uses a standard American Mega Trend bios. So I do have hopes someone will release an unlocked bios for this board.. but until then I'll have to settle for these loose timings.

No video IO on the back means you can't run this PC without a gpu (even if you upgrade to a non F sku)

If this PC still has non LHR cards, then this is a strong buy imo. I'm thinking of buying a 2nd one as a spare tbh...

EDIT:
I think I've seen Newegg and CanadaComputer bundles at similar price points, but those came with LHR cards.
ie. Like this one (now dead) newegg-abs-gaming-desktop-3060ti-1599-s ... r-2502505/
Just gonna leave this neat article here.

https://www.tech-critter.com/lhr-vs-non ... omparison/

No gamer should really be concerned about LHR versus non-LHR cards. I'd sooner have faster RAM, more power in a PSU and the ability to upgrade like the Newegg one you posted over this one. Glad it works for you though because the price is decent.
Nov 10, 2020
83 posts
175 upvotes
PerformingAzura wrote: I'm using it as my daily driver.

EDIT:
@PerformingAzura , what GPU did you end up installing? Would you be able to share a few models that are compatible with this PSU, or any recommendations of a cheap GPU that would work for the swap?
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1357 posts
1372 upvotes
Ottawa
jetpackc wrote: @PerformingAzura , what GPU did you end up installing? Would you be able to share a few models that are compatible with this PSU, or any recommendations of a cheap GPU that would work for the swap?
I'm lost. Why would you buy a GPU to put in this very crappy build with supbar parts? If you have access to a GPU and the cash, getting a decent case, PSU and RAM etc will be FAR cheaper than buying this.
Dec 10, 2012
497 posts
374 upvotes
Vancouver
What do you guys recommend for entry level gamer (13 year old getting into it). PC or laptop? Used market perhaps? See lots of Asus 'gaming' laptops on marketplace in the $800 range
Nov 10, 2020
83 posts
175 upvotes
aidendanger wrote: I'm lost. Why would you buy a GPU to put in this very crappy build with supbar parts? If you have access to a GPU and the cash, getting a decent case, PSU and RAM etc will be FAR cheaper than buying this.
I could use the GPU for a desktop upgrade and a family member could use a new computer for day to day office work and some (very light) gaming. Win-win, no?
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1357 posts
1372 upvotes
Ottawa
dinkeye wrote: What do you guys recommend for entry level gamer (13 year old getting into it). PC or laptop? Used market perhaps? See lots of Asus 'gaming' laptops on marketplace in the $800 range
If $800 is your budget you are best to look at 2nd hand on Kijiji and should be able to find something that plays most titles at medium settings. I wouldn't personally recommend a laptop for gaming but that's just me (and sons preference, he likes to use gaming keyboard and gaming monitor etc)
Jul 16, 2021
215 posts
338 upvotes
aidendanger wrote: If $800 is your budget you are best to look at 2nd hand on Kijiji and should be able to find something that plays most titles at medium settings. I wouldn't personally recommend a laptop for gaming but that's just me (and sons preference, he likes to use gaming keyboard and gaming monitor etc)
800.00 on kijiji... that will be without the gpu right now.
this is a deal.. only because of the gpu market right now.
and it will be a lot better when nvidia intel and amd releases low end gpu q1 2022, so that not everyone is fighting to get the same high end cards since they havent released low end card in so long.
i wouldnt buy it. id build a alder lake pc and get a very low end gpu that i would know i could resell anytime and lose little until i can upgrade.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1357 posts
1372 upvotes
Ottawa
bob12344 wrote: 800.00 on kijiji... that will be without the gpu right now.
this is a deal.. only because of the gpu market right now.
and it will be a lot better when nvidia intel and amd releases low end gpu q1 2022, so that not everyone is fighting to get the same high end cards since they havent released low end card in so long.
i wouldnt buy it. id build a alder lake pc and get a very low end gpu that i would know i could resell anytime and lose little until i can upgrade.

He said entry level gamer. You absolutely can get something for $800 on Kijiji for that price for a 13 year old. Here's an example.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
2139 posts
1413 upvotes
aidendanger wrote:
I'm lost. Why would you buy a GPU to put in this very crappy build with supbar parts? If you have access to a GPU and the cash, getting a decent case, PSU and RAM etc will be FAR cheaper than buying this.
When I bought this desktop, it came with a non Lhr gpu. Non Lhr makes no difference in gaming or production work, but has a huge impact on mining.

I was able to sell the 3060ti to a miner and grab a much cheaper card that works for me. I won't be mining, but my total cost for my gaming system after 13% tax was like ~600$

I typically always go custom, but I couldnt beat the value in this prebuilt
Screenshot_20211207-161052_Firefox.jpg

^This screenshot was taken with 32GB of 2666CL19 memory. The desktop score would likely increase if you used 3200Cl22 that came stock with this machine.
jetpackc wrote: @PerformingAzura , what GPU did you end up installing? Would you be able to share a few models that are compatible with this PSU, or any recommendations of a cheap GPU that would work for the swap?
Anything that has a single 8 pin will work fine.
8 +6 pin would be cutting it close.
Anything with 2 8pin connectors would require looking at detailed benchmarks.
I got a gtx 1080. Performance wise it's close to a RTX 3060 but without the DLSS or ray tracking technology.

You should be able to run anything up to a RTX 3070.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
2139 posts
1413 upvotes
Mohamei wrote: Planning on buying my brother a gaming PC. I was wondering on which to get, this or the MSI rig. Which is a better deal?

https://www.costco.ca/msi-mag-codex-5-1 ... 99421.html
That msi is horrible value.
Acer is amazing value if the gpu is non Lhr and you're able to sell it and get a cheaper card.

If selling the gpu seems like too much hassle, go with Newegg or Canada computers as they likely have similar pricing, but you'll get the benefit of having a much more user serviceable system.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2009
1355 posts
372 upvotes
GPU market seems to be even worse now than it was back in Sept/Oct. I'm guessing increased xmas demand? Or are the Etherium miners going all out to maximize return before the oft-delayed switch away from proof of work?