Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] $1698 Hisense 85H78G- 85" Smart Ultra HD 4K Dolby Vision HDR10 Android TV Canada 2020

[OP]
Jun 22, 2007
167 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto

[Costco] $1698 Hisense 85H78G- 85" Smart Ultra HD 4K Dolby Vision HDR10 Android TV Canada 2020

Great review by RFD'r @EricY94795 below with pictures. Thank you for that. Purchased it and can't wait to use it.

$99 for 5 year costco warranty. White glove shipping includes assembly of the TV in the room of your choice. Best 85" Budget TV by far. My search is complete, 4 months later.

Same price on Amazon. Shipped and sold by Amazon.

Same price at Visions as well:
https://www.visions.ca/catalogue/catego ... ctId=58149
Last edited by Cheetah on Jan 18th, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
89 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
1335 posts
1493 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
It's gone this price a couple times before. I'd suggest buying it from Visions for the extended warranty they give for free for an extra year.

The RCA at Walmart (82") is legit just a rebranded Samsung that is sold at Best buy for $1600. The RCA was recently in sale for $999 so also is something others might wanna consider. With an extended warranty - a total warranty period of 4 years, you don't have to worry for a while. This deal is alright if you want a HiSense. Realistically, both the RCA and this HiSense are crap.

best-buy-samsung-82-tv-un82tu7050fxzc-1 ... 4-2430428/

walmart-rca-82-4k-uhd-smart-tv-frameles ... 0-2424163/

Edit: if you can travel to the US, it's only a grand there. Much cheaper than Canada.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
1335 posts
1493 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Cheetah wrote: it out until the TCL XL series are in stock.
Shipped and sold by Amazon. Free shipping.
The lowest trim of the TCL XL - the 4 series is going to be $1600 USD starting in the USA. That is very expensive compared to this TV. You can get a branded one for like $2200 CAD nowadays so the TCL is probably not worth holding out for.
The Biggest of the Big has arrived!
[OP]
Jun 22, 2007
167 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
Bigboy16 wrote: The lowest trim of the TCL XL - the 4 series is going to be $1600 USD starting in the USA. That is very expensive compared to this TV. You can get a branded one for like $2200 CAD nowadays so the TCL is probably not worth holding out for.
I was more interested in the TCL 5 series if it comes out in XL. I am willing to spend more for the right budget TV.

Branded? You mean a low-end samsung or sony TV? No thanks.
Nov 13, 2014
477 posts
456 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Bigboy16 wrote:
Realistically, both the RCA and this HiSense are crap.

Curious,why do you say that about the Hisense ? Did you see it by yourself ?

I tried many times to see this TV in-store where they said they had a demo, but everytime I was told they only had one in stock and they wouldn't put the TV in demo. Always being told to look at the 75" they have in demo as it's the same, and that's exactly the problem . The 85" has a different panel than the rest.

I never managed to find anyone who tested that TV. There are 2-3 reviews on Visions website, and some on the BB usa website too, but that's it.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
1051 posts
682 upvotes
theXshape wrote: Curious,why do you say that about the Hisense ? Did you see it by yourself ?

I tried many times to see this TV in-store where they said they had a demo, but everytime I was told they only had one in stock and they wouldn't put the TV in demo. Always being told to look at the 75" they have in demo as it's the same, and that's exactly the problem . The 85" has a different panel than the rest.

I never managed to find anyone who tested that TV. There are 2-3 reviews on Visions website, and some on the BB usa website too, but that's it.
They have it at Costco and there are a few (not very descriptive) reviews.

https://www.costco.ca/hisense-85-in.-4k ... 75480.html

Unfortunately it's $300 more at Costco or this would be a no brainer to try.
Oct 18, 2011
145 posts
62 upvotes
CALGARY
iamsiege wrote: They have it at Costco and there are a few (not very descriptive) reviews.

https://www.costco.ca/hisense-85-in.-4k ... 75480.html

Unfortunately it's $300 more at Costco or this would be a no brainer to try.
Could be cheaper in store as they usually include shipping with the online price. So maybe ~$100 less buying in store, then the 5 year warranty is $99 vs $349 at Visions comes out to about even or maybe a bit cheaper at Costco?
Not sure if they carry this TV in store however.
Nov 6, 2007
881 posts
467 upvotes
Was a tad cheaper in Nov.

If you decide to pick this up whether at Visions or Costco, you're going to need a cargo van or pickup truck. Will not fit in mini man with seats folded down. (box is huge)
Images
  • tempsnip.png.jpg
Dec 13, 2006
589 posts
269 upvotes
I bought the 50H78G not long ago and I'm not sure if I would recommend it (H78G) has a main TV.

Mine is in my Gym... I dont always use the TV so it did not get much use... But here are my impression:

My god Android Os is slow on that thing. It literally take me 3 to 5 minutes to get something runming on the tv.

Menu is not responsive at all.

I'm also questionning the wifi chip. Ex: i try to stream toutube in 1080p, and it downgrade to 480... Then go back to 1080... Loke if network was not right... But my pgone can do it no problem... And if I connect a firestick it play fine.

I think it's again a cpu problem...

Ps: It's sad... Because i'm so impress by the picture quality for the price.
Aug 21, 2005
367 posts
236 upvotes
North York, ON
I find it kind of funny when low end TVs support Dolby Vision. It looks like they're trying to trick people into thinking it's good by slapping that on the box, when it will likely not be able to get anywhere near the contrast ratios needed to really show the difference between Dolby Vision and HDR10, let alone make HDR10 look good. A decent mid-range TV with HDR10 will likely look much better than a low end TV with Dolby Vision support.

But if you want something like this just for a large size at an affordable price, go for it. As long as you have the right expectations when it comes to picture quality.
Dec 23, 2011
312 posts
210 upvotes
toronto
This 85 is a solid mid range TV at low tier price. It is better than the 75 in terms of quality.

The 85 RCA is low tier at lower price.

If you can pay double the price for a better TV then go for it, most people will not noticed any difference.
Last edited by fishhunting on Jan 18th, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 22, 2011
290 posts
133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Isn't a 60hz refresh rate way too low for such a large tv?
Sep 4, 2017
252 posts
267 upvotes
xantius wrote: Isn't a 60hz refresh rate way too low for such a large tv?
I don't really see how size relates to perceived frame rate. Anyway, there's no content except a few specific games on the brand new consoles that support more than 60Hz. Movies are 24Hz, TV is 30 or 60. (I'm assuming people aren't buying this to use as a PC monitor.)
Jan 23, 2019
27 posts
77 upvotes
Calgary
Bought the TV today from Visions and it's all set up. Here are my impressions if interested.
The box is big and thick. It will not fit in my Sienna minivan, so had Visions deliver it. The TV is heavy as expected for the size. And really really big.

My bro and I had to manouver it up the stairs. If your house is small like mine it was difficult. I plan to move into an apartment soonish and not looking forward to moving this guy. Something to consider. Luckily there are two handles on the upper part of the TV to hold.

I am not a picky person so I never buy top tier TV's. So for this price range I think it's a good deal. This TV is great for my usage for Netflix, YouTube and gaming. I find the picture quality pretty good but again I am no expert. Image seems very clear but the TV is so big it feels like my eyes can't keep up with the movement on screen. I'm sure I'll get used to it as I watch more.

On Netflix or YouTube , content that has Dolby Vision is played automatically, same as anything that's HDR10.

On my PS5 I have HDR set to off (there's a reason) . In the picture menu there is a setting called HDMI 2.0 Format. In this setting there are 2 choices: Standard format or Enhanced format. Standard format is on default. This seems to be the HDR setting. Turning it on makes the screen go haywire with flickering lines on the screen. The screen also turns black for a second then normal then black again. I wonder if the HDMI port 1 is not HDR. I will need to test the other ports. Otherwise I set it off for now.

I have Ethernet plugged into the TV. As someone mentioned earlier I think the WiFi chip is not good enough. To much buffering when watching 4k YouTube content and Netflix content takes long to load. Having Ethernet fixes this. I have a Samsung tv also on WiFi and things load fast. Also having WiFi off I can't use the built in Chromecast. One reason I got it so I could free up an HDMI port. So that's a disappointment.

Overall though I'm still happy with the TV but only buy it on sale. Full price it's not worth it considering the shortcomings.

Included pictures:
The Ghost of Tshushima pic is on Standard format (no HDR) setting.
The snake pic is a 4k YouTube video with HDR10
Extraction movie on Netflix with Dolby Vision
Images
  • 20210117_215325.jpg
  • 20210117_213231.jpg
  • 20210117_225347.jpg
[OP]
Jun 22, 2007
167 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
EricY94795 wrote: Bought the TV today from Visions and it's all set up. Here are my impressions if interested.
The box is big and thick. It will not fit in my Sienna minivan, so had Visions deliver it. The TV is heavy as expected for the size. And really really big.

My bro and I had to manouver it up the stairs. If your house is small like mine it was difficult. I plan to move into an apartment soonish and not looking forward to moving this guy. Something to consider. Luckily there are two handles on the upper part of the TV to hold.

I am not a picky person so I never buy top tier TV's. So for this price range I think it's a good deal. This TV is great for my usage for Netflix, YouTube and gaming. I find the picture quality pretty good but again I am no expert. Image seems very clear but the TV is so big it feels like my eyes can't keep up with the movement on screen. I'm sure I'll get used to it as I watch more.

On Netflix or YouTube , content that has Dolby Vision is played automatically, same as anything that's HDR10.

On my PS5 I have HDR set to off (there's a reason) . In the picture menu there is a setting called HDMI 2.0 Format. In this setting there are 2 choices: Standard format or Enhanced format. Standard format is on default. This seems to be the HDR setting. Turning it on makes the screen go haywire with flickering lines on the screen. The screen also turns black for a second then normal then black again. I wonder if the HDMI port 1 is not HDR. I will need to test the other ports. Otherwise I set it off for now.

I have Ethernet plugged into the TV. As someone mentioned earlier I think the WiFi chip is not good enough. To much buffering when watching 4k YouTube content and Netflix content takes long to load. Having Ethernet fixes this. I have a Samsung tv also on WiFi and things load fast. Also having WiFi off I can't use the built in Chromecast. One reason I got it so I could free up an HDMI port. So that's a disappointment.

Overall though I'm still happy with the TV but only buy it on sale. Full price it's not worth it considering the shortcomings.

Included pictures:
Thank you for this, really appreciate it. Finally, someone speaking out of experience rather than chirping about ratings they find online. The picture quality looks great for a budget TV. This may be it for me, thank you.
Nov 18, 2006
762 posts
160 upvotes
Montreal
EricY94795 wrote: Bought the TV today from Visions and it's all set up. Here are my impressions if interested.

Included pictures:
Awesome post! Just your genuine and honest impression. How refreshing. Pics look great too. Now because of you, im thinking of buying it.
Nov 13, 2014
477 posts
456 upvotes
Westmount, QC
EricY94795 wrote: Also having WiFi off I can't use the built in Chromecast. One reason I got it so I could free up an HDMI port. So that's a disappointment.
As long as you are on the same network it should work fine. I saw a solution for you online (for a Sony TV using Android OS)

What I had to do was disconnect LAN, connect via wifi, configure chromecast then plug LAN back in.
It would be handy if that was mentioned in the TV's instructions somewhere.
Maybe this will help. I don't have Android Os with chromecast built-in on a TV so I myself can't help you there.
Jan 23, 2019
27 posts
77 upvotes
Calgary
It's actually a great TV with really good picture quality. My 65" Samsung which cost the same price last year which is supposed to be a better model seems as good as this Hisense.

I'm just concerned about the HDR function for the HDMI ports. I will test the other 3 ports tonight but if it is the same as port 1, probably no HDR for my PS5 then.
Granted it still looks really good in SDR. And since people say that HDR implementation on budget TVs aren't really good maybe it's not such a big loss.

Someone mentioned before that Android TV was slow on their model. For the 85" I didn't experience that problem. Netflix opens quick as does Youtube and Prime. That's all the apps I have tested so far. I believe the 85" model is a bit different from the other sizes so that may be why.

Probably the only knock to getting this TV would be if you need to connect with wifi. Too much buffering in between 4k videos. I have 300mbps internet, an Asus ax86u router and all my other devices stream fine. Only conclusion I can make is a weak WiFi chip inside the TV.
Jan 23, 2019
27 posts
77 upvotes
Calgary
theXshape wrote: As long as you are on the same network it should work fine. I saw a solution for you online (for a Sony TV using Android OS)

Maybe this will help. I don't have Android Os with chromecast built-in on a TV so I myself can't help you there.
Thanks for the help theXshape. I did disconnect the LAN and just use Wifi. It seems if you have LAN plugged in and and try to use wifi nothing works. All I see is the app trying to load but it never does (in this case Youtube). Unplug Lan, Wifi now works but again 4k movies/videos don't stream without pausing frequently.

When I cast from phone to TV, again constant buffering. Got fed up and just use LAN for the smart features. Plugged in my old 4k Chromecast into an HDMI port. Of course that works well, but now lose one HDMI port.
Last edited by EricY94795 on Jan 18th, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.