Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

$19.97 Clearance? Harry's Truman Razor Handle + 13 Cartridges

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2022 12:30 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2006
3005 posts
1831 upvotes
Barrie
Just bought 2 boxes from Costco!

Thanks for the heads up!
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
25027 posts
202520 upvotes
GTA
BoxsterS wrote: I'm considering this especially given how relatively cheap DE blades are. What brand do you use?
I actually use SE blades, which are about double the thickness of DE blades. While more expensive (though still much cheaper than the cartridge systems), the advantage is that SE blades don't have as much flex in them (because they are more rigid). As a result, it is generally going to be harder to cut yourself due to using too much pressure vs a DE blade, and might be easier to transition to for some people.

I use Feather blades from Japan, pretty much the sharpest blades you can get:

https://www.themodernman.co.uk/ca/feath ... gJjKPD_BwE

Of course, there are different options within that brand and also options from other brands (Kai, Schick), but note that there are generally fewer options for SE blades vs DE blades. So if you are the type that wants to mix it up and try out different brands, etc., you are definitely going to have more choice with DE blades.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2003
3456 posts
912 upvotes
Vancouver
toguy wrote: I actually use SE blades, which are about double the thickness of DE blades. While more expensive (though still much cheaper than the cartridge systems), the advantage is that SE blades don't have as much flex in them (because they are more rigid). As a result, it is generally going to be harder to cut yourself due to using too much pressure vs a DE blade, and might be easier to transition to for some people.

Of course, there are different options within that brand and also options from other brands (Kai, Schick), but note that there are generally fewer options for SE blades vs DE blades. So if you are the type that wants to mix it up and try out different brands, etc., you are definitely going to have more choice with DE blades.
Thanks. I just bought my first DE set and looking forward to trying it out. I'm the type that will run my Gillette blades to the ground before I replace them because of how expensive they are.
Nov 24, 2007
582 posts
592 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Hotdiggety wrote: A while ago, I met someone who was once an executive with Gillette in the US. He told me that it's their marketing department that drives their product lines. Marketing comes up with an idea they think they can sell, and they then design a product around that idea. It isn't like they're always finding new and better ways to shave. Beyond a point, you really can't. It's all just marketing hype. Those cartridges that they sell for $3-4 each, cost them just pennies to make, so they make a lot of money out of this.
I used to work closely with senior execs at Gillette, American Safety Razor. They shared that the lubricating strips (which were the "new" thing at that time" were designed to drive more frequent cartridge replacement than actually necessary - the blades may still be sharp but the feel changes when the strip is gone, prompting the consumer to change cartridges.

Over the last 35 years I've found that Gillette cartridges may cost more, but they last (ie retain sharpness) quite a bit longer; and as such, they are one of the lowest-cost per use. I generally buy Mach 3 or Fusion if the deal is right.
Last edited by orange260z on Oct 2nd, 2022 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4527 posts
26991 upvotes
toguy wrote: I actually use SE blades, which are about double the thickness of DE blades. While more expensive (though still much cheaper than the cartridge systems), the advantage is that SE blades don't have as much flex in them (because they are more rigid). As a result, it is generally going to be harder to cut yourself due to using too much pressure vs a DE blade, and might be easier to transition to for some people.

What are you normally shaving (face, head, etc.) with the above blades and what razor do you use with them.

orange260z wrote: I used to work closely with senior execs at Gillette, American Safety Razor. They shared that the lubricating strips (which were the "new" thing at that time" were designed to drive more frequent cartridge replacement than actually necessary - the blades may still be sharp but the feel changes when the strip is gone, prompting the consumer to change cartridges.

Over the last 35 years I've found that Gillette cartridges may cost more, but they last (ie retain sharpness) quite a bit longer; and as such, they are one of the lowest-cost per use. I generally buy Mach 3 or Sensor if the deal is right.
I use the Fusion5 blades but they do last me quite a bit but I can definitely notice the difference between the other mach blades and how much cleaner and smoother cut these make and have to go over the same spot much less. When I am done with them, my wife ends up using them for other jobs/tasks (good for cleaning up the pills off of clothes rather than using those pill shavers).
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.
Nov 24, 2007
582 posts
592 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
markopas wrote: I use the Fusion5 blades but they do last me quite a bit but I can definitely notice the difference between the other mach blades and how much cleaner and smoother cut these make and have to go over the same spot much less. When I am done with them, my wife ends up using them for other jobs/tasks (good for cleaning up the pills off of clothes rather than using those pill shavers).
Yes, sorry, meant Mach 3 or Fusion. Too many different models now, very confusing.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
25027 posts
202520 upvotes
GTA
markopas wrote: What are you normally shaving (face, head, etc.) with the above blades and what razor do you use with them.
I shave my face with them. Here is the razor:

https://www.italianbarber.com/products/ ... edge-razor

This is one of the more value-oriented options out there.

There are a lot of others out there from artisans that cost serious $$$ (this can be an expensive hobby if you get into it). If you do, the good thing is the razors at least retain if not increase in value as many of them are limited production runs and hence become rare and thus more valuable down the line. Unlike the Gillette Fusions, etc., these razors are things people hand down to their kids.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4527 posts
26991 upvotes
toguy wrote: I shave my face with them. Here is the razor:

https://www.italianbarber.com/products/ ... edge-razor

This is one of the more value-oriented options out there.

There are a lot of others out there from artisans that cost serious $$$ (this can be an expensive hobby if you get into it). If you do, the good thing is the razors at least retain if not increase in value as many of them are limited production runs and hence become rare and thus more valuable down the line. Unlike the Gillette Fusions, etc., these razors are things people hand down to their kids.
Are these any good for head shaving?
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
2772 posts
1467 upvotes
Montréal, QC
I bought these in the US before they were available in Canada and have been using them without without any issues. But I don't have a big beard.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)