[Costco] 199.99 - Staub 6.6L french oven with grill pan lid

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2020 1:57 pm
[OP]
Mar 6, 2019
133 posts
174 upvotes

[Costco] 199.99 - Staub 6.6L french oven with grill pan lid

About 105 in stock at the time of posting.

Good volume for medium-large batches, and the lid doubles as a grill pan so you save some space. Solid deal for someone looking for quality enameled cast iron cookware!

And if you don't end up liking it, costco return policy is legendary as always.

Edit: Price in title. Clearly new to RFD lol
38 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
2826 posts
1760 upvotes
Langley
This is a pretty good deal, the sizing is great too. Only wish I had disposable income right now. I've been wanting something like this for awhile.

Question. for enameled cast iron, can you use a metal fork or knife in it like regular cast iron, or is that a big nono?
[OP]
Mar 6, 2019
133 posts
174 upvotes
I am usually a Le Creuset guy, but I can assume the care instructions are similar for any brand.

You can use metal utensils to stir or anything gentle, but you should not use them to scrape or things like that. Basically good to go if you are gentle, but I baby my pans so I use only nylon/silicone.
Jan 25, 2016
188 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
SubmarinePerson wrote: I am usually a Le Creuset guy, but I can assume the care instructions are similar for any brand.

You can use metal utensils to stir or anything gentle, but you should not use them to scrape or things like that. Basically good to go if you are gentle, but I baby my pans so I use only nylon/silicone.
I’m a Le Creuset guy myself. This seems like a great deal compared to LC prices.

How does this compare in terms of quality?
Aug 21, 2005
549 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver
Staub is equal or better quality. They’re giving You a grill lid instead of their regular lid. The regular lid is better since it has the points for self basting and a metal knob. Staub also has better moisture retention if that is what you’re looking for, due to a tighter fitting lid.

The only downside of staub is the dark interior.
[OP]
Mar 6, 2019
133 posts
174 upvotes
As the previous post says, equal or better. Really a question of preference, and the differences are small.
Sep 25, 2009
241 posts
77 upvotes
i must.... refrain... from buy more.... things... due to .... RFD..........
Thanks OP
[OP]
Mar 6, 2019
133 posts
174 upvotes
strikeraj wrote: i must.... refrain... from buy more.... things... due to .... RFD..........
Thanks OP
I know the feeling... Start coming to a forum to save money, end up spending a bunch more. But atleast we are getting nice things I guess!
Feb 6, 2007
328 posts
126 upvotes
couple of points to consider for anyone looking at these.

The lid enamel can get scratched or rather scuffed on gas stovetop grills when using in pan mode.

When the pan is being used as a lid it can also baste whatever you have in the Dutch oven as the moisture drips back onto the food but you need to make sure you’ve cleaned the grill part really well or it will flavour your food. Think of burger flavored bread :)

We have one and gave it to family as they only occasionally use.
[OP]
Mar 6, 2019
133 posts
174 upvotes
squeeks786 wrote: couple of points to consider for anyone looking at these.

The lid enamel can get scratched or rather scuffed on gas stovetop grills when using in pan mode.

When the pan is being used as a lid it can also baste whatever you have in the Dutch oven as the moisture drips back onto the food but you need to make sure you’ve cleaned the grill part really well or it will flavour your food. Think of burger flavored bread :)

We have one and gave it to family as they only occasionally use.
Hamburger flavored bread sounds like a plus but that's just me Face With Tears Of Joy Definitely something to consider however.
Jan 25, 2016
188 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
terranaj98 wrote: I need to quit RFD. Bought.
I held off and walked away. 3 hours later, bought.

Too good to pass up.