• Dec 25th, 2020 4:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
2327 posts
1998 upvotes
Ottawa

[Costco] $50 online voucher with a Gift of Membership purchase

Looks like this deal is back! In previous years, despite the "only for new members" warning on the web page, this has been a-okay to use for renewing existing memberships.

When you buy a Gift of Membership, the promo also gives you a coupon for $50 off a $250 online purchase, no matter which membership you buy (see thread summary below for Ts&Cs).

The real benefit here is that you can just use the Gift of Membership to renew your own membership. And so instead of regular renewal, if you do it this way, you also get a $50 off $250 voucher.
  • You must be an existing member to purchase this.
  • Despite the website's declaration that this is for new memberships only, you can use the voucher to renew (this is how it worked in previous years, and confirmed this year by @s09milligan).
  • You can purchase 2 x $60 Gold Star vouchers and use them to renew 1 x $120 Executive membership (confirmed this year by @s09milligan). This gets you 2 x $50 coupons, which cannot be combined, but can be used on two separate online orders, as long as you place them under separate costco.ca accounts (also confirmed this year by @s09milligan).
  • If you buy the Gift of Membership online, you need to wait for the voucher(s) and the $50 coupon(s) to arrive by mail (approximately 3 - 7 business days from the time of order), so plan ahead. You will still need to take the membership voucher in-store to renew.
  • If you buy the Gift of Membership in-store, you will receive the voucher(s) and the $50 coupon(s) immediately. Remember that the $50 coupons are for online use only.
Images
  • Screenshot_20201026-140019_Chrome.jpg
Last edited by cappaj on Nov 11th, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 17 times in total.
I am a current Koodo customer
Share:
Thread Summary
Ts and Cs:
"Your voucher will be mailed along with your membership voucher within 3-7 days after purchase online, or will be given at time of purchase at the warehouse.

*Valid from October 26, 2020 and January 17, 2021 and may not be combined with any other offer. This offer can only be redeemed on merchandise purchases of $250 or more on Costco.ca (in one transaction, before taxes, applicable fees and shipping, unless applicable fees and/or standard shipping is included in the quoted price). Only one (1) $50 OFF can be used per member per transaction during the promotional period. Voucher will not be replaced if lost or stolen. Voucher amount will not be reissued if merchandise is returned. Offer not valid for Costco purchases made in warehouse, in Costco Business Centres, on Costcobusinesscentre.ca, on Costcophotocentre.ca, on Sameday.costco.ca, on Instacart.ca, or on purchases of Costco Shop Cards, App Store & iTunes Gift Cards, gift cards, certificates and tickets, travel, tires, membership, or membership renewals. Only Canadian Costco members in good standing may take advantage of this offer. Prices, specifications, availability and terms of offers subject to change without notice."

Can you buy the gift of membership in store?
Yes, they have a stand in the warehouse with Gift of Membership cards (they're like the cards you grab for gift certificates or expensive electronics). You grab one of those, take it to the checkout and pay, and then you go with your receipt over to the little cupboard where they hand those things out. They give you the membership voucher(s) and the $50 coupon(s) there. Then you take the membership voucher over to the membership counter and use it to renew.

The Gift of Membership card does not expire. It can be saved and used up to 90 days before your renewal date.
809 replies
Apr 2, 2008
647 posts
309 upvotes
I have been waiting for this. I bought 2 x $60 last year for my membership renewal.
Save a lot but end up spending more :confused:
Oct 14, 2017
902 posts
948 upvotes
My membership expired in 2015. I can't seem to purchase this as it keeps telling me that I have to be a member. Bummer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
2327 posts
1998 upvotes
Ottawa
bluewish wrote: I have been waiting for this. I bought 2 x $60 last year for my membership renewal.
Me too, very likely I'm buying a new TV for Black Friday, so this voucher will be perfect to knock off another $50 (or - I guess that covers the extended TV warranty, another nice way to look at it!).
Feb 20, 2019
39 posts
22 upvotes
Can i buy this to renew my membership that expires next year in july?
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
2455 posts
1203 upvotes
Mississauga
darn I just renewed last week! I'm not sure if I can apply it to a renewal... doesn't state that its exempt? I mean... my wife talks about paying for the renewal for family members for Christmas... obviously they already have their own cards
Vinh
If you're going to hate, Get off RFD!
Feb 13, 2011
878 posts
223 upvotes
Vancouver
can i buy 2 gold star membership renewal to renew 1 year executiveSmiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
2146 posts
849 upvotes
Toronto
mapleleaf6 wrote: Can i buy this to renew my membership that expires next year in july?
In general, you can renew up to 90 days before the expiration date of your existing membership..

but im not sure if the voucher has an expiry date.. so in theory you could buy the gift of membership, then wait and apply it to your account later... when your account is closer to coming due for renewal.
Last edited by geogolem on Oct 26th, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 7, 2019
761 posts
902 upvotes
mapleleaf6 wrote: Can i buy this to renew my membership that expires next year in july?
Yes. I used it to renew my membership in April.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
5544 posts
491 upvotes
Markham
great timing as im up for renewal at the end of this month

but it looks like i can also do this in store?
Jul 8, 2013
297 posts
66 upvotes
Montreal
Can someone explain how I would use this on myself for renewal? Do I enter my own email when gifting the membership? And it will work?
May 7, 2010
556 posts
437 upvotes
Edmonton
cnbobby wrote: can i buy 2 gold star membership renewal to renew 1 year executiveSmiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Yes, you can 100%!
Sep 24, 2004
780 posts
356 upvotes
Scarborough
Just in time. My membership expires on Halloween day and I was going to renew online today. I'll just wait for the voucher to come in.

I don't know how the renewal with the voucher works, but I guess I'll figure out
Deal Guru
Dec 30, 2004
12875 posts
812 upvotes
Toronto
Last time you can take the Gift membership and go to the warehouse and renew your membership there. Vouchers came as a separate paper / code.
Apr 6, 2017
802 posts
1251 upvotes
So if I buy a few of these for Xmas gifts. Do I get multiple vouchers? Only requirement be using one per membership card.
Oct 25, 2014
223 posts
160 upvotes
Boswell, BC
I'm waiting for confirmation that the membership voucher they send is the same as previous and says it can be used for renewals.

I picked up a couple of these in 2018, and don't recall there being a minimum purchase limit to use the $50 coupon on costco.ca

It occurs to me that it may be possible to purchase 2x Gold membership vouchers, in order to get 2x $50 costco.ca coupons, and then use both membership vouchers to renew a single Executive membership.
Nov 28, 2006
134 posts
23 upvotes
Ottawa
That's exactly what I did from the last year's promotion.
emma30 wrote: ...
It occurs to me that it may be possible to purchase 2x Gold membership vouchers, in order to get 2x $50 costco.ca coupons, and then use both membership vouchers to renew a single Executive membership.
Aug 16, 2020
526 posts
88 upvotes
Isnt the other offer of $60 off 100 (+$20 off 100) or $120 off 200 (+$20 off 100) better than this?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
2327 posts
1998 upvotes
Ottawa
newuserhere wrote: Isnt the other offer of $60 off 100 (+$20 off 100) or $120 off 200 (+$20 off 100) better than this?
1) That offer appears to be expired now: https://www.costco.ca/reactivation-offer.html
2) I didn't want to futz around with canceling my existing membership and having my wife sign up for a new one, I'd much rather just renew and get $50 off $250.
Jul 8, 2013
22 posts
17 upvotes
Edmonton
cnbobby wrote: can i buy 2 gold star membership renewal to renew 1 year executiveSmiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
I tried that last year and I recall I was only able to use one of the $50 Costco.ca vouchers. You can use the two membership vouchers to get the executive membership though.