Costco

55"/65" Hisense H8809 & Q8809 $547/$847 & $497/$897 Online W/FS

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2021 10:25 am
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31730 posts
13074 upvotes
PeterM76928 wrote: Also we get the Theater Day and Night picture modes. Have to check and see what else might have been added.
Is the Film mode added in the Motion settings? I noticed this option was not there when I was using the TV before, this is the judder removal for 24p content. Without this option I'm pretty sure there's no judder removal/48Hz on this set. I haven't used the set enough to be sure but seems like it, which is another deal killer. That, the dumb dark corners, the extremely poor viewing angle (I mean viewing angle is not too important to me but this is really poor), and the really low # of LD zones...doesn't really seem like it's that great for the money.
ES_Revenge wrote: I should have bought the 55H8809 for $50 more and not looked back. Instead I got this and though I do like the set I'm about 99% sure it is going back. Thing that sucks is you can't get a 55H8809 for that price anymore ($550) because Costco doesn't have it any longer and every where that does, is asking $600 for it :( In the US (55H8F) it's $400 at Best Lie and $370 at BJ's (I think it's $350 if you have a membership but I'm not sure because I don't). But then running through some calculations, that means it's about the same price--$550 CAD after conversion. Only thing is if you stay 2 days you'll get exempted out of the tax but not sure when I'm gonna do that again...
Welp I missed all the TCL sales in US, and while I probably should have snagged the refurb 55R615 for $300 USD...I didn't as they sold out :( Good news is the 55H8F came down to $350 at US Best Buy (today only I think). Sadly while the 50H8F came down finally only to $329 which is totally not worth it given the 55 is $30 more. I was able to checkout with one on the site, with store pickup in Port Huron. Going to MI next weekend so will pull it back across with an exemption :) Came to $370 USD with the state tax, so around $500 CAD all-in. The same set in Canada (55H8809) has come down again to $550 but only at [Canadian] Best Lie, Visions; Costblow still doesn't have it back in stock and I never seen it any Costco store, unfortunately. Buying in US is still saving me about $120 after taxes, so I'm happy with that. Not gonna get the cool Costco warranty but whatevs, it's a cheap TV anyhow.

I'm quite confident the H8F/H8809 will be the better TV but since I still have the Q8809 and still have a while to return it, I'm gonna compare the two directly after I get the H8F, and see how they compare. My bet is already on the Q8809 going back to Costco though.

In any event I'm not sure how this TV commands the reg. price of $650 CAD as it just isn't worth that IMO. The Q7809 (which is apparently the exact same set) is back on sale for $498 at Walmart BTW.

Finally, for those that want to wait a little longer, the H8G will be coming in/after March...it will have better brightness than the H8F (not a huge bit but brighter) and more zones--I think the 65H8G will have 90 zones whereas the 65H8F was 60--so probably safe to assume something like 40-50% more zones across the sizes. I don't expect it will get cheap until year-end though, so would be a long wait for a good deal on one, most likely.

In the higher-end [Hisense] the H9G will have a 120Hz panel, up to 180 zones, and 1000 nits (not fabulous but pretty decent brightness). They do have the dual-panel (ULED XD) set coming, the XD9G, but likely not until 4th quarter and that will definitely be a premium-priced TV.
Feb 20, 2004
123 posts
15 upvotes
Ontario
I would have to say my confidence in the 55Q8809 is once again waning. I had about 1-2 weeks of no issues after the manual firmware update, but I now experience issues with the entire system freezing when trying to wake from standby: the screen either does not turn on at all, or if it does turn on, I would see a completely frozen screen and no response to any inputs. The only way to fix this would be to unplug the power cord. I had experienced this once before the new firmware, which I chalked up to just a one-time fluke, but now it seems to be happening daily.

Some other issues that popped up (seemingly associated with the freezing problem above):
1. ARC continues to work fine, but the TV decides to use the TV speakers when waking up from standby. I need to go into the menu manually to switch over to ARC.
2. I use an LED strip connected via one of the USB ports for bias lighting. All of a sudden now it refuses to turn off during standby. During standby, there would be an endless cycle of the light turning off for a few brief seconds, only to come back on again.

I can't shake the feeling that there's something going on with standby or ARC/HDMI-CEC handshakes to my AV receiver causing all this, even though ARC and HDMI-CED seem to be working fine. I might discontinue my AV receiver and USB light for a while to see if the freezing still occurs, but that might be the last straw for me.
Jul 28, 2009
157 posts
142 upvotes
So suddenly I'm getting same flickering issue as other user but it only happens with 1080p content when motion smoothing is on. I hope any other issues show up asap so I'm still within the 90 days
Feb 20, 2004
123 posts
15 upvotes
Ontario
I seemed to have fixed things after having the problems ongoing for a whole week. Now:
1. Able to wake from standby with no issues
2. USB light turns off appropriately on standby
3. Automatically switches to ARC once the receiver boots up fully

Not sure exactly what I did. I had uninstalled all extra apps, which for me included Kodi and the CBC app. I also had put the TV in standby and quickly turned it back on after a few short minutes.. all the issues seemingly went away after this.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31730 posts
13074 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: I'm quite confident the H8F/H8809 will be the better TV but since I still have the Q8809 and still have a while to return it, I'm gonna compare the two directly after I get the H8F, and see how they compare. My bet is already on the Q8809 going back to Costco though.

In any event I'm not sure how this TV commands the reg. price of $650 CAD as it just isn't worth that IMO. The Q7809 (which is apparently the exact same set very similar without WCG) is back on sale for $498 at Walmart BTW.
Well I think my verdict is in. I got the 55H8F (55H8809) home on Sunday, just unboxed it today, and tried it out. It's quite apparent it is the better TV.

I have to say the H8809 is better in virtually every way...
-The H8F is built better. It's actually somehow lighter feeling but it's built better for sure--the frame and back are metal (well the "frame" is really just an extension of the back) compared to plastic on the Q8809. The TV also looks better. I wasn't that bothered by the look of the Q8809, but when they're side by side, the H8809 makes it look like a "cheap TV". It's kind of the same feeling as comparing a TCL 5-series to a 4-series in this regard.

-The H8F is even packed better in the box! Despite the outer boxes being virtually identical other than then printing, the H8F has more packing materials in it and is better supported in the box. Everything about the Q8809 just seems to look and feel older and lower-rent; I think it's pretty clear it costs less to make and I guess this is why they don't sell this set in the US, and also why the H8809 never comes on sale for a lower price than the sale price of the Q8809.

-The H8809 has two different sets of mounting points for the feet so you can set them wide apart or narrow. The Q8809 has just the one set and they put the feet nearly as wide as the TV.

-Both sets are FALD but the H8F/H8809 has many more LD zones (56 v. 10) yet is actually the thinner set!

-The H8F has more motion settings, as previously mentioned, including Film which removes judder from 24p material while not applying any interpolation. The set also has a custom motion mode where you can set de-judder and interpolation independently on a 0-10 scale for each. It seems the Q8809 has no way to remove judder even from 24p sources. NB: These are both 60Hz panels BTW.

-Response time...It's not really too great on either but it's not a big issue for me. I don't think one is significantly better and truth be told the H8F's reviews tend to remark it has relatively poor [panel] response time. On the plus side higher response time = less stutter for movies.

-Android system. I would not be surprised if these TVs aren't using the exact same SOC & RAM. I can check in Aida64 (if that will install on these) but they seem nearly identical in terms of OS/UI performance. They're snappier in general than my 2016-model Sony Android TV, but they do have the caveat that if you're running 4K video in an Android app, it seems using the TVs menus/GUIs can cause the content to start skipping, etc.

-In terms of PQ, I did think the Q8809 was fairly impressive for a low-cost set when I first turned it on...until I viewed it back to back with the H8F. It's not really a comparison IMO--the H8F is simply better here. Changing the adjustments around I think the H8F was much easier to get looking good and no matter what settings I tried on the Q8809, the H8F still looked better. Keep in mind I'm not calibrating the sets here, just playing with the adjustments to personal taste--the "out of the box" nod definitely goes to the H8F.

-It's clear the LD is definitely not working at all on my Q8809 (I can try the new fw I guess but I seriously don't think it will compare to the H8F's LD anway). The 55H8F is only 56 zones I think it was but it's actually not half bad for LD at all. Blooming is less pronounced than on higher-zone sets, though it does still have blooming, and it still has enough zones to make a pretty pleasing picture.

-They might claim the Q8809 is "quantum dot" while now pretending the H8809 is not but TBH I did not see any obvious or blatant colour advantage to the Q-series set.

-Both sets have the "dark corners", which is a bit disappointing for the H8F but they are seemingly larger on the Q8809 and without good LD it's even worse throughout the brightness range.

-DSE--ehh both have some degree. Not bad at all on either though and I don't think one is markedly worse than the other either. Overall the grey uniformity is good, but I don't expect a lot of bad DSE issues on 55 and lower sets in general (actually I don't expect it at all on sets under 50" lol).

-The viewing angle is not spectacular on either (as they are both VA) but is definitely worse on the Q8809 IMO. The H8F does have an interesting [undesirable] effect where if you're viewing off-centre (not necessarily that much of an angle) you do seem to see more backlighting to the opposite side of the screen. Not great but this was a $500 55" set, all in, so there are going to be gripes but can't gripe too loudly lol.

-The Q8809 has one less HDMI input and additionally one out of three inputs is limited at 4K/30Hz; H8F, all four are 4K/60Hz compatible.

-I'm pretty sure the Q8809 is an older design in general. Not just the fewer and lower-capability HDMI inputs but Xbone reports it cannot support the "newer" Dolby Vision type it outputs, while the H8809 gets a checkmark for DV from Xbone. (Sidenote, my Q8809 was manufactured in March 2019, the H8F I bought was made in November. This could just be stocks/warehousing though.)

-On BDs from Xbone, I noticed the Q8809 has more problems with lip sync, wheras the H8F I never noticed such problems.

I hate to say it but...overall I couldn't find one thing that's better about the Q8809 as compared to the H8F/H8809. I think this is where it becomes obvious why the 55" often sells for $500 on sale whereas the H8809 only goes down the $550. For $50 more I'd definitely recommend spending the extra bucks on an H8809 instead of this set. In my case I actually paid less for my H8F. That's because I got it for $370 USD after tax, crossed it on an exemption, so a total of around $510ish CAD. Q8809 OTOH cost $565 after taxes (didn't include the Costco warranty in that amount).

It seems almost as if Hisense is trying to pawn off a cheaper set on us Canadians at around the same price while playing with marketing terms like "quantum dot" (when they originally were claiming ULED on its own employed a quantum dot filter), and saying crap like "more local dimming zones" which are actually far less. I'm guessing they don't dare sell the "Q7" and "Q8" in the US since it's probably much more likely it would get pointed out in reviews.

Don't get me wrong here, the Q8809 is NOT a bad TV per se. It's just not as good a TV (IMO) as Hisense's own H8809, and it seems they downplay the marketing and have fewer and lesser discounted sales on that model, to promote what are probably simply higher-profit models. I've seen many worse TV models than the Q8809 though, and the $500 pricetag for a 55" set is fairly reasonable for what you are getting. However if you can spend the $50 more? Get the H8809.

Will be boxing up the Q8809 and taking back to Costco. Ashame to not get that $40 warranty and all but...them's the breaks. Too bad Costco didn't stock the H8809 for very long :(
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31730 posts
13074 upvotes
So as mentioned I am returning the Q8809 to Costco this week. Again there is nothing I found particularly wrong with the TV, it's just bested by the H8F/H8809 IMO. I did update the fw to the one posted in this thread and am happy to report the LD works as it should now :) though it's fairly subtle with only 10 zones. The picture is quite impressive still TBH; I didn't have any problems at all with the wifi but I erred on the side of caution and used 2.4Ghz instead of 5Ghz (which tends to work better for me anyway as it has better range).

However since I was able to get a deal on the 55H8F in US I'm going to return the 55Q8809. If anyone wants the TV (again nothing wrong with it, no dead pixels, minimal DSE), I'm willing to entertain "helping an RFDer out" by selling it at the $600 price I paid for it which includes the taxes and extended warranty (for a total of 5 years). Only mentioning this because I'm pretty sure this deal at the $497 price is long dead. If no takers after Tuesday, I'll return on Wednesday I think. Wish I could have gotten that warranty on the H8F but oh well, will just cross fingers it lasts.
Jan 5, 2020
6 posts
2 upvotes
Do you know if the firmware update you posted works with the Q7809? Who did you contact to get a usb sent in the mail? I'm having the same problem with the local dimming that it simply works like global dimming and doesnt show any zonal behaviour at all, but will get really dim if the screen is all black.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11823 posts
5731 upvotes
NateS11803 wrote: Do you know if the firmware update you posted works with the Q7809? Who did you contact to get a usb sent in the mail? I'm having the same problem with the local dimming that it simply works like global dimming and doesnt show any zonal behaviour at all, but will get really dim if the screen is all black.
If you reach out to hisense Canada support via email, they will ask for your Q7809's build number. You are likely 2 or 3 updates behind as they have not released any specifically for the Q7809, but once you flash the file they send you, you will automatically get 1 or 2 more updates. I got 2 back to back after flashing. Settings and picture quality are greatly improved.
Aug 7, 2011
943 posts
554 upvotes
NateS11803 wrote: Do you know if the firmware update you posted works with the Q7809? Who did you contact to get a usb sent in the mail? I'm having the same problem with the local dimming that it simply works like global dimming and doesnt show any zonal behaviour at all, but will get really dim if the screen is all black.
Gutty96 wrote: If you reach out to hisense Canada support via email, they will ask for your Q7809's build number. You are likely 2 or 3 updates behind as they have not released any specifically for the Q7809, but once you flash the file they send you, you will automatically get 1 or 2 more updates. I got 2 back to back after flashing. Settings and picture quality are greatly improved.
Good TV? Read some negative reviews on Costco around wifi and OS requiring resets
walmart-hisense-65-q7809-700-2373871/#p32515756
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11823 posts
5731 upvotes
1theguy1 wrote: Good TV? Read some negative reviews on Costco around wifi and OS requiring resets
walmart-hisense-65-q7809-700-2373871/#p32515756
I use a firetv 4k stick, so that works around the issues with OS and WiFi.

TV is a fantastic band for you buck once you flash the Q8809 firmware and update the software after.

Still don't use the Android TV after though. Family is familiar with the FireTV remotes and interface.
Dec 16, 2019
25 posts
10 upvotes
Been awhile but the TV is still going strong, no problems outside of android tv OS is a tad clunky. For 500 bones it was worth the chance... so far.
Jan 6, 2012
211 posts
68 upvotes
Brandon
Well final nail in the coffin for me approx 11 months into owning the 55Q8809. Was running decently but major HDR issues appeared following a recent firmware update last month which resulted in highlights being seriously blown out to the point of losing all detail no matter the tv settings or pc or game (xbox series x) calibration.

No local servicers so Hisense authorized a return/refund back to costco after a week or so or emailing back and forth so good on them I guess. Hope costco online return process is smooth...

In the end I should have just went with the 55H8809 (55H8F) or a TCL 6 series instead of this weird Canada only sku... Lesson learned.
"DOORBUSTER" - LENOVOGATE 2014 😥
Mar 8, 2004
707 posts
515 upvotes
Kanata
renace wrote: Well final nail in the coffin for me approx 11 months into owning the 55Q8809. Was running decently but major HDR issues appeared following a recent firmware update last month which resulted in highlights being seriously blown out to the point of losing all detail no matter the tv settings or pc or game (xbox series x) calibration.

No local servicers so Hisense authorized a return/refund back to costco after a week or so or emailing back and forth so good on them I guess. Hope costco online return process is smooth...

In the end I should have just went with the 55H8809 (55H8F) or a TCL 6 series instead of this weird Canada only sku... Lesson learned.
How do you know it was because you chose that model? Is it known for having more issues? Couldn't be just bad luck of the draw?
Mar 8, 2004
707 posts
515 upvotes
Kanata
renace wrote: Well final nail in the coffin for me approx 11 months into owning the 55Q8809. Was running decently but major HDR issues appeared following a recent firmware update last month which resulted in highlights being seriously blown out to the point of losing all detail no matter the tv settings or pc or game (xbox series x) calibration.

How do you know it was because you chose that model? Is it known for having more issues? Couldn't be just bad luck of the draw?
Jan 6, 2012
211 posts
68 upvotes
Brandon
gumby_ng wrote: How do you know it was because you chose that model? Is it known for having more issues? Couldn't be just bad luck of the draw?
I dont know if it's because of the model or just a bad panel of course, but it doesn't help that there is very little support or info for this specific model due to being Canada only. Most info you will find online comes from this specific thread tbh.
"DOORBUSTER" - LENOVOGATE 2014 😥
Apr 12, 2021
1 posts
Hey there, sorry for reviving this old thread but do you or anyone else here still have this firmware update file for USB flashing?