901 posts
1264 upvotes
Great, now I hope they have the spend $2000 and get $250 coupon promotion again
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1663 posts
5524 upvotes
Calgary, AB
In general I prefer Sony over LG for TVs, but I went with the LG C1 because all four of it's HDMI ports support 2.1. The Sony only has two ports that support HDMI 2.1 and one of them is also the eARC port. So for people like me who need eARC out to a sound bar, you are left with only one HDMI 2.1 for input sources.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2015
2746 posts
1654 upvotes
I both the a80h last year and it died after a year. Had a deep vertical red line and they said it cost too much to fix.

Thank goodness I bought the 5 year warranty. They refunded the price and the $100 warranty.

Make sure to get warranty if you’re thinking of buying this TV
May 12, 2004
920 posts
180 upvotes
If US reports are to be believed, specifically the 77" A80J will have the biggest price decrease within the next few weeks. Its already on sale there for $2400 USD. I figure I'm going to wait it out, most likely around Superbowl for this to be seen in here. I've already bought this for $4000 from Costco and will have it price adjusted if true.

I choose Sony A80J over C1 because I'm only a casual gamer and the media content I play is primarily 1080p. The upscaler is quite a bit better than LG, with general 4k playback is better OOTB even though I have my own calibration meter.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2002
1479 posts
847 upvotes
Androidmarshmellow wrote: I both the a80h last year and it died after a year. Had a deep vertical red line and they said it cost too much to fix.

Thank goodness I bought the 5 year warranty. They refunded the price and the $100 warranty.

Make sure to get warranty if you’re thinking of buying this TV
Wouldn’t your tv have been covered even without the extended warranty? Costco usually provides the 2nd year coverage following the manufacturers 1 year warranty. Not saying you shouldn’t buy the extended warranty but in your case I don’t think it would’ve made a difference.
Oct 2, 2016
617 posts
277 upvotes
Tennoh wrote: If US reports are to be believed, specifically the 77" A80J will have the biggest price decrease within the next few weeks. Its already on sale there for $2400 USD. I figure I'm going to wait it out, most likely around Superbowl for this to be seen in here. I've already bought this for $4000 from Costco and will have it price adjusted if true.

I choose Sony A80J over C1 because I'm only a casual gamer and the media content I play is primarily 1080p. The upscaler is quite a bit better than LG, with general 4k playback is better OOTB even though I have my own calibration meter.
I was in a Bestbuy last night. Saw a A80J and C1 side by side. It could be the video source, or setting difference, but the A80J looks much brighter, thus more vivid in colour to the eye. I am a A1 owner. I never found my A1 to be much better than my 2016 entry level 4K Samsung LCD TV, except when you purposely play 4K demo videos, like the “black background with yellow honey in front” video that LG often use. This makes me wonder should we really trust online reviews solely, or is it more important to actually go to a store and see in person. I still love my A1, as it is nothing short of. But I would definitely give Sony or any other brand a more serious consideration in the future.
May 12, 2004
920 posts
180 upvotes
Whether you trust online reviews or not, there is no comparison when it comes to the upscaling hardware the Sony includes in their 2021 OLEDs. It simply is superior in creating details from 1080p content into 4k that isn't available in the LG.

When running native 4k content you can flip a coin on preferences between LG and Sony. Either one is great.
Dec 29, 2017
181 posts
120 upvotes
I looked at both re reviews.. .not in store as who knows how the TV's have been set up.. and the main difference for me was the superiority of watching sports on the lg c1 vs both the Sony 90 and 80 series. Marginally over both ( as all the differences between these tvs) but then the 90 is significantly more expensive and the 80 more as well. Since sports are what I watch the decision was easy given the $differences.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2015
2746 posts
1654 upvotes
vader_slri wrote: Wouldn’t your tv have been covered even without the extended warranty? Costco usually provides the 2nd year coverage following the manufacturers 1 year warranty. Not saying you shouldn’t buy the extended warranty but in your case I don’t think it would’ve made a difference.
That’s the argument I made to get the extended warranty fee refunded . I would still buy the 5 years to have a peace in mind
Apr 17, 2005
413 posts
117 upvotes
Has Sony updated the A80J with VRR yet? Thinking of one of these to use with my PS5 primarily.
Feb 4, 2006
223 posts
47 upvotes
Markham
Well worth the price, we got ours last month and it’s been fantastic between native 4K and 1080p upscale. We aren’t gamers, so can’t comment there.

First time using Google TV and i like the os. No longer using our firestick.
Jul 6, 2010
86 posts
24 upvotes
Alberta
Happy with my A1 deal from Costco a couple weeks back. Save $700 over the C1 but lose out on 120hz and some brightness. Brightness is fine, when I want to watch a movie in high quality I’ll have a completely dark room set up to enjoy. 120hz is mostly useless to me for console games, I’ll choose 60hz and max graphics settings anyways. And for competitive games, I’ll stick to 240hz and playing on a PC. High hz does make a huge difference for games though, but it matters very little when it comes to single player games.
May 12, 2004
920 posts
180 upvotes
Borla wrote: Has Sony updated the A80J with VRR yet? Thinking of one of these to use with my PS5 primarily.
The PS5 doesn't support VRR. If anything both will be updated at the same time if at all.
Dec 24, 2010
252 posts
589 upvotes
Toronto
For anyone buying the C1. I will warn you there's a bit of research and configuration 'out of the box' (mainly for HDR and DV). I was a bit nervous id be returning it, but with some googling and fine tuning the picture is amazing.

It's true theres not much 4K 120fps (if any?) content, but the quality of the TV is great.

For those not wanting to configure their TVs, I'd recommend the A80J, purely off of reviews on this topic.
Jan 1, 2012
101 posts
146 upvotes
Vancouver
dinkeye wrote: FYI... i bought the Sony for $2177 @ Visions end of Nov. Would not call this "cheapest ever"
How did you get that deal?
Apr 17, 2005
413 posts
117 upvotes
Tennoh wrote: The PS5 doesn't support VRR. If anything both will be updated at the same time if at all.
I understand that but want as many future proof options as possible. Sony's track record for adding features to TV's via firmware updates is spotty at best. The PS5 has been a work in process since launch and is still behind the PS4 in certain UI and QoL features. I expect VRR will come to the PS5 eventually but their TV's.... eh not as convinced even though it's been promised.
Jun 7, 2020
59 posts
99 upvotes
Question about costco warranty if you don't mind. I bought the extended warranty for my Vizio. Having some horrible backlight dimming issues. They have subcontracted a tech repair company after I called the consierge service. They picked up the tv to try and repair it.

It's been over a week with no response. Should I just have taken it into Costco store to use the warranty for a refund? What did you do?

Thanks!
Dec 10, 2012
514 posts
389 upvotes
Vancouver
RFD604 wrote: How did you get that deal?
Walked in and simply asked for their best price. Guy came back at $2177, said it was cost and deal was done. I was in and out in 5 minutes with the TV in my truck

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)