Expired Hot Deals

Costco

65" Sony A80j $2498 / LG C1 $2198

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 15th, 2022 11:51 am
Newbie
Jan 15, 2020
70 posts
244 upvotes
crosby86 wrote: For anyone buying the C1. I will warn you there's a bit of research and configuration 'out of the box' (mainly for HDR and DV). I was a bit nervous id be returning it, but with some googling and fine tuning the picture is amazing.

It's true theres not much 4K 120fps (if any?) content, but the quality of the TV is great.

For those not wanting to configure their TVs, I'd recommend the A80J, purely off of reviews on this topic.
hey, would you be able to kindly share which settings you changed? do you have a link?
Jr. Member
Jan 2, 2016
110 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Great deal for the A80j. I got mine with employee discount for 2270 back in November. So great price for normal consumer pricing
Sr. Member
Jul 13, 2011
616 posts
360 upvotes
Ottawa
dinkeye wrote: FYI... i bought the Sony for $2177 @ Visions end of Nov. Would not call this "cheapest ever"
Was that an advertised price? No, then I think you are being disingenuous .
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16731 posts
2409 upvotes
crosby86 wrote: For anyone buying the C1. I will warn you there's a bit of research and configuration 'out of the box' (mainly for HDR and DV). I was a bit nervous id be returning it, but with some googling and fine tuning the picture is amazing.
Are these service menu settings or just calibrating the out of the box settings?
Member
Dec 24, 2010
252 posts
589 upvotes
Toronto
KodakBlack wrote: hey, would you be able to kindly share which settings you changed? do you have a link?
I started with something similar to this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LGOLED/comment ... &context=3

I think RTINGS, HDTV, QuantumTV have recommended settings but I didn't want to watch a 20 min video lol.

The big diff for me was turning off Energy Saving Mode, AI functions, and then setting the tint to G3
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3750 posts
1364 upvotes
KodakBlack wrote: hey, would you be able to kindly share which settings you changed? do you have a link?
Image
Sr. Member
Dec 10, 2012
514 posts
389 upvotes
Vancouver
ertmanius wrote:
Was that an advertised price? No, then I think you are being disingenuous .
Disingenuous?? Lol. Nothing of the sort... Simply stating there is a better deal to be had quite easily and calling this the cheapest ever is not accurate. But you do you and go pay $2498 for it if you like Person Raising Both Hands In Celebration
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9584 posts
7219 upvotes
Kootenays
dinkeye wrote: Disingenuous?? Lol. Nothing of the sort... Simply stating there is a better deal to be had quite easily and calling this the cheapest ever is not accurate. But you do you and go pay $2498 for it if you like Person Raising Both Hands In Celebration
I got quoted the same price ($2177) at that time when they briefly offered a "first responders" discount.
Jr. Member
Nov 5, 2019
127 posts
136 upvotes
Tennoh wrote: Whether you trust online reviews or not, there is no comparison when it comes to the upscaling hardware the Sony includes in their 2021 OLEDs. It simply is superior in creating details from 1080p content into 4k that isn't available in the LG.

When running native 4k content you can flip a coin on preferences between LG and Sony. Either one is great.
I trust rtings.com and they rate them identically for upscaling.
Member
Dec 21, 2019
209 posts
429 upvotes
zhaobinis1 wrote: I was in a Bestbuy last night. Saw a A80J and C1 side by side. It could be the video source, or setting difference, but the A80J looks much brighter, thus more vivid in colour to the eye. I am a A1 owner. I never found my A1 to be much better than my 2016 entry level 4K Samsung LCD TV, except when you purposely play 4K demo videos, like the “black background with yellow honey in front” video that LG often use. This makes me wonder should we really trust online reviews solely, or is it more important to actually go to a store and see in person. I still love my A1, as it is nothing short of. But I would definitely give Sony or any other brand a more serious consideration in the future.
Many vids I've seen on youtube point this out; the Sony is definitely brighter.
BUT...the sony can't touch the C1 in black levels, gaming latency, and a few other aspects
Jr. Member
Jan 1, 2012
101 posts
146 upvotes
Vancouver
dinkeye wrote: Walked in and simply asked for their best price. Guy came back at $2177, said it was cost and deal was done. I was in and out in 5 minutes with the TV in my truck
Dude, well done!
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
3420 posts
3487 upvotes
Montreal, QC
dinkeye wrote: Disingenuous?? Lol. Nothing of the sort... Simply stating there is a better deal to be had quite easily and calling this the cheapest ever is not accurate. But you do you and go pay $2498 for it if you like Person Raising Both Hands In Celebration
Cheapest ever or ATL doesn't include YMMV prices. It's for official prices where you can buy online with a few clicks. Good for you on that great price, though.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Member
Nov 24, 2014
368 posts
412 upvotes
Windsor, ON
blyndfyre wrote: In general I prefer Sony over LG for TVs, but I went with the LG C1 because all four of it's HDMI ports support 2.1. The Sony only has two ports that support HDMI 2.1 and one of them is also the eARC port. So for people like me who need eARC out to a sound bar, you are left with only one HDMI 2.1 for input sources.
You gave a lot of reasons to prefer this LG over a Sony. Why do you prefer Sony over LG for TVs?
Sr. Member
Dec 10, 2012
514 posts
389 upvotes
Vancouver
WillyBaldy wrote: Cheapest ever or ATL doesn't include YMMV prices. It's for official prices where you can buy online with a few clicks. Good for you on that great price, though.
Appreciate what your saying about buying online but I wouldn't really call this YMMV if you are able to walk in a store. Pretty confident everyone would get a better price than this "cheapest ever" price by simply asking "what's your best price". And not trying to come across argumentative just trying to help members find the cheapest deal/price. That's what this forum is all about.

PS- the A80J is a sick TV. Picture is unreal!!
Sr. Member
Jul 13, 2011
616 posts
360 upvotes
Ottawa
dinkeye wrote: Disingenuous?? Lol. Nothing of the sort... Simply stating there is a better deal to be had quite easily and calling this the cheapest ever is not accurate. But you do you and go pay $2498 for it if you like Person Raising Both Hands In Celebration
It is disingenuous.

1) Your scenario is beyond a YMMV one. You have to hope the particular Vision store is going to similar policy. You then have to have the sales person match or beat what you received, or it is essentially meaningless to the community. On top of that, its a slippery slope and at what point would be considered reasonable and comparable.
2) Maybe most importantly, Its about context. Clearly the OP is referring to advertised price. So clearly in context that the OP is referring to is a non-YMMV Lowest advertised price, if not refute with a better advertised example.

There is nothing wrong with you providing an example, of a store providing it for less even under special circumstances, and I actually think it is worth sharing, but to say "Would not call this "cheapest ever"" is unwarranted and unnecessary.
Sr. Member
Dec 10, 2012
514 posts
389 upvotes
Vancouver
ertmanius wrote: It is disingenuous.

1) Your scenario is beyond a YMMV one. You have to hope the particular Vision store is going to similar policy. You then have to have the sales person match or beat what you received, or it is essentially meaningless to the community. On top of that, its a slippery slope and at what point would be considered reasonable and comparable.
2) Maybe most importantly, Its about context. Clearly the OP is referring to advertised price. So clearly in context that the OP is referring to is a non-YMMV Lowest advertised price, if not refute with a better advertised example.

There is nothing wrong with you providing an example, of a store providing it for less even under special circumstances, and I actually think it is worth sharing, but to say "Would not call this "cheapest ever"" is unwarranted and unnecessary.
Agree to disagree....
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
3420 posts
3487 upvotes
Montreal, QC
To avoid any confusion for some, I guess RFD will be needing a disclaimer, something like:
*ATL claims don't include non-advertized, in-store only (aka Costco warehouse), refurbished or used item prices.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Jr. Member
Oct 26, 2020
106 posts
235 upvotes
Ordered Lg C1 65 inch 2 weeks ago, awaiting delivery. Is it worth spending extra $250 to get sony A80j ?
Member
Jul 17, 2010
220 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
taranducal wrote: You gave a lot of reasons to prefer this LG over a Sony. Why do you prefer Sony over LG for TVs?
Sony has Android TV where there are tons of 3rd party apps available.

I would consider that as an advantage, but some people prefer webOS.
Newbie
Oct 30, 2019
9 posts
25 upvotes
blyndfyre wrote: In general I prefer Sony over LG for TVs, but I went with the LG C1 because all four of it's HDMI ports support 2.1. The Sony only has two ports that support HDMI 2.1 and one of them is also the eARC port. So for people like me who need eARC out to a sound bar, you are left with only one HDMI 2.1 for input sources.
Don't soundbars have HDMI in as well?
That's how eARC intended to be
Devices > Soundbar > TV
So you should have the same number of HDMI ports to use.
Like my setup is PS5 > soundbar > TV eArc
Assuming your soundbar isn't too old that should support HDR and HDMI 2.1 passthrough.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)