Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] $739.99 Frigidaire 20.5cuft standing freezer

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2019 10:28 am
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 14, 2014
659 posts
667 upvotes
Southern Ontario

[Costco] $739.99 Frigidaire 20.5cuft standing freezer

While this 20.5cuft standing freezer sells at many stores, it is currently available at Costco which offers:
- ~$10 less than competitors
- free delivery
- 2nd year warranty
15 replies
Jr. Member
Oct 28, 2013
146 posts
114 upvotes
Saskatoon
casandrabrowneyes wrote: Manual Defrost.
To me, this is a feature.
It makes you emply it once a year or so, so you can see what a dumbass you've been by re-buying stuff that you have had in the feezer for the past year.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 30, 2004
2275 posts
980 upvotes
Edmonton
casandrabrowneyes wrote: Manual Defrost.
It’s a full size freezer. Full size freezers are manual defrosts. Saves energy and money
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Newbie
User avatar
Jun 14, 2011
37 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa
walleye*guy wrote: It’s a full size freezer. Full size freezers are manual defrosts. Saves energy and money
We have a full size freezer and it's frost free.
Sr. Member
Sep 30, 2008
744 posts
192 upvotes
Edmonton
I ordered this freezer 2 years ago from Costco and patiently waited for it to arrive. Costco shipped it out using SameDay Worldwide (they are absolutely awful) and I was supposed to get a call to confirm the drop off time and date. They never called, lost my order and the delivery date came and went. I waited another week and made many calls while Costco sorted this out and the fridge was finally delivered.

I stood at the back of the truck to do a visual inspection and noticed the side of the fridge was crushed. Not dented but almost like it was dropped since the metal was wrinkled halfway up the side. I told SameDay to take it back and they refused, saying they were only paid to deliver and it was a separate contract for the return. SameDay then deposited this massive freezer in my front hallway - you could barely get around it after opening the door. I called Costco to ask for a discount if I kept it - they offered $100 so I told them to come and pick it up. While all this was going on, Costco ran out of stock so they couldn’t even order a replacement. So, I went without a freezer and it sat there in my front hall for another 2.5 weeks before a pick-up was scheduled.

Costco has great prices for appliances but they use a terrible shipping company and it’s a mess if something arrives damaged. I’ll bet that 9/10 people will never have a problem and say Costco is great for this stuff but good luck if you’re that “one person” who ends up on the wrong end of this deal. Just be prepared to store things until they’re ready to come back. Unamused Face
Sr. Member
Dec 18, 2005
954 posts
1044 upvotes
Montreal
Sinoed wrote: I ordered this freezer 2 years ago from Costco and patiently waited for it to arrive. Costco shipped it out using SameDay Worldwide (they are absolutely awful) and I was supposed to get a call to confirm the drop off time and date. They never called, lost my order and the delivery date came and went. I waited another week and made many calls while Costco sorted this out and the fridge was finally delivered.

I stood at the back of the truck to do a visual inspection and noticed the side of the fridge was crushed. Not dented but almost like it was dropped since the metal was wrinkled halfway up the side. I told SameDay to take it back and they refused, saying they were only paid to deliver and it was a separate contract for the return. SameDay then deposited this massive freezer in my front hallway - you could barely get around it after opening the door. I called Costco to ask for a discount if I kept it - they offered $100 so I told them to come and pick it up. While all this was going on, Costco ran out of stock so they couldn’t even order a replacement. So, I went without a freezer and it sat there in my front hall for another 2.5 weeks before a pick-up was scheduled.

Costco has great prices for appliances but they use a terrible shipping company and it’s a mess if something arrives damaged. I’ll bet that 9/10 people will never have a problem and say Costco is great for this stuff but good luck if you’re that “one person” who ends up on the wrong end of this deal. Just be prepared to store things until they’re ready to come back. Unamused Face
Generally, you can refuse delivery if you haven't signed for it yet, then they'll have to take it back. This is true of any delivery from any site. If you refuse delivery, it goes back to the sender.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2007
1192 posts
695 upvotes
konsensei wrote: which one is it?
I did notice a Frigidaire upright freezer at Costco in-store and it was frost free. I wish I had paid more attention to the size but it was similar in size to this and was around $699 if I’m not mistaken.

I can try to snap a pic if I see it there next week.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2012
2718 posts
1458 upvotes
Ottawa
Sinoed wrote: I ordered this freezer 2 years ago from Costco and patiently waited for it to arrive. Costco shipped it out using SameDay Worldwide (they are absolutely awful) and I was supposed to get a call to confirm the drop off time and date. They never called, lost my order and the delivery date came and went. I waited another week and made many calls while Costco sorted this out and the fridge was finally delivered.

I stood at the back of the truck to do a visual inspection and noticed the side of the fridge was crushed. Not dented but almost like it was dropped since the metal was wrinkled halfway up the side. I told SameDay to take it back and they refused, saying they were only paid to deliver and it was a separate contract for the return. SameDay then deposited this massive freezer in my front hallway - you could barely get around it after opening the door. I called Costco to ask for a discount if I kept it - they offered $100 so I told them to come and pick it up. While all this was going on, Costco ran out of stock so they couldn’t even order a replacement. So, I went without a freezer and it sat there in my front hall for another 2.5 weeks before a pick-up was scheduled.

Costco has great prices for appliances but they use a terrible shipping company and it’s a mess if something arrives damaged. I’ll bet that 9/10 people will never have a problem and say Costco is great for this stuff but good luck if you’re that “one person” who ends up on the wrong end of this deal. Just be prepared to store things until they’re ready to come back. Unamused Face
I'm in the middle of a delivery fiasco with Costco, bought 3 appliances, two were delivered with the 3rd mysteriously cancelled even though the delivery guy said he saw it but didn't deliver it because it was crossed off his list. Had two more mysterious cancellations, without warning or explanation then finally the delivery of a dented unit which I refused. Still waiting for a replacement. Note that at each attempt the old fridge was required to be emptied.

I have found out that Costco, in my region at least, contracts out their delivery services. The company with that contract subsequently subcontracts deliveries to yet another firm. Unconfirmed whether this firm sub subcontracts to anybody that shows up with a 5 ton truck. Point is that appliances seem to pass through many hands with decreasing levels of accountability the farther down the chain you go.

It's a flawed system and you take your chances buying appliances from Costco.ca.
prae praesto filum clostrum
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2012
2718 posts
1458 upvotes
Ottawa
Just want to point out one thing about manual defrost upright freezers - they need to be defrosted a LOT more often than chest freezers.

Also, the cooling elements are integrated with the shelfs so if you need a space saving solution to store bodies the only way to get them in there would involve dismemberment.
prae praesto filum clostrum
Newbie
Dec 3, 2015
78 posts
51 upvotes
SK
Mmagic888 wrote: I did notice a Frigidaire upright freezer at Costco in-store and it was frost free. I wish I had paid more attention to the size but it was similar in size to this and was around $699 if I’m not mistaken.

I can try to snap a pic if I see it there next week.
Actually just bought the in store Frigidaire a few weeks ago for $580, it's 17 cu ft and frost free. I had my eye on it for a couple years before finally caving to upgrade my almost 20 year old Danby 4 cuft one.

They actually just changed models slightly just before I bought and now it has has the 3 shelves plus a slide out basket on the bottom, which is a slight upgrade and $20 cheaper. It's frost free as well.

Absolutely love having the extra space though, so nice not being restricted in how much frozen stuff to buy all the time.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
11694 posts
8164 upvotes
GTA, ON
My next will be frost free. I can't stand manually defrosting my freezer. Always have to wait until winter so I can place my food on the balcony without worrying about the food defrosting too.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Member
May 30, 2016
390 posts
444 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
chimaican wrote: My next will be frost free. I can't stand manually defrosting my freezer. Always have to wait until winter so I can place my food on the balcony without worrying about the food defrosting too.
Why wouldn't you just toss it all in a cooler with some ice?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
11694 posts
8164 upvotes
GTA, ON
razorblade2099 wrote: Why wouldn't you just toss it all in a cooler with some ice?
Too much food. It doesn't all fit in the cooler. Lol.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!

Top