GATINEAU

$750 Intel NUC 11th gen, i5, 8gb ram, 500 gb SSD, Intel Xe graphics

Intel NUC 11 Performance
i5 1135G7
Intel Xe graphics
8gb Ram (upgradeable to 32)
500 Gb SSD and room for second 2.5 " hard drive
Qi charging lid to place your phone/earbuds

Perfect for a small Plex server with some light gaming / browsing on the side.

There was a higher end model i7 w/16gb ram for $950 which is no longer available.
But an i5 at $750 still appears to be a great deal.

Costco member only.
102 replies
Jun 17, 2018
373 posts
682 upvotes
Not hot since an entire laptop can be had for about the same price (and no Costco membership required): https://www.amazon.ca/Acer-Ci5-1135G7-B ... B08YP456YY

However, this has its advantages, such as Thunderbolt 3 and wireless charging lid.

Edited to add: Also, Costco will provide extended warranty, and better support (firmware and driver updates) can be expected from Intel than from Acer.
Last edited by FunnyGamer on Jul 26th, 2021 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2172 posts
408 upvotes
I'm happy with my NUC8, but the wireless charging lid makes so much sense.
Nov 17, 2019
723 posts
1900 upvotes
These small PCs only make sense if they're cheaper than laptops with the same performance. But you lose screen + battery + keyboard + trackpad, AND pay extra. No thanks.

For 200$ less (usually, prices fluctuate) why not get this and plug peripherals in...

dell-new-inspiron-15-amd-5700u-16gb-1tb ... 1-2463430/
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
2654 posts
1397 upvotes
Winnipeg
Damn all these mini pc's that can't put a speaker jack on the back.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15842 posts
7406 upvotes
Ottawa
FunnyGamer wrote: Not hot since an entire laptop can be had for about the same price (and no Costco membership required): https://www.amazon.ca/Acer-Ci5-1135G7-B ... B08YP456YY

However, this has its advantages, such as Thunderbolt 3 and wireless charging lid.

Edited to add: Also, Costco will provide extended warranty, and better support (firmware and driver updates) can be expected from Intel than from Acer.
the Intel NUCs have always been a bit pricey compared to laptops. However, when I bought my NUC, I had NO interest in buying a laptop because I have a nice screen and wanted to mount the NUC on the back (effectively, all-in-one but with a display of my choosing)

Laptops usually have a battery that wears out and it made no sense for me to buy a laptop which is permanently plugged in, and I prefer not to have a laptop chassis cluttering up my desk compared to a NUC which I can mount out of the way.
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15842 posts
7406 upvotes
Ottawa
quantman wrote: These small PCs only make sense if they're cheaper than laptops with the same performance. But you lose screen + battery + keyboard + trackpad, AND pay extra. No thanks.

For 200$ less (usually, prices fluctuate) why not get this and plug peripherals in...
see my post above. I have no use for a battery (computer is plugged in permanently), crappy keyboard (I have my own full size mechanical), display (I have a 34"), and I hate trackpads.
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Mar 13, 2021
60 posts
65 upvotes
not sure people are comparing NUC to a laptop. apples to oranges comparison.
NUC has a lot of different uses where a laptop cannot work.
Jun 17, 2018
373 posts
682 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: the Intel NUCs have always been a bit pricey compared to laptops. However, when I bought my NUC, I had NO interest in buying a laptop because I have a nice screen and wanted to mount the NUC on the back (effectively, all-in-one but with a display of my choosing)

Laptops usually have a battery that wears out and it made no sense for me to buy a laptop which is permanently plugged in, and I prefer not to have a laptop chassis cluttering up my desk compared to a NUC which I can mount out of the way.
A vertical stand, such as the one linked below, minimizes clutter while having a laptop means there is the option to unplug and use on the go.
https://www.amazon.ca/Vertical-Adjustab ... B07PRSWDVK
Jan 1, 2015
794 posts
733 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I use my NUC I bought off Kijiji as a 24/7 server. Serves me well... I'm sure others may use it for the same or for their kids to do basic work on.
Mar 21, 2012
562 posts
472 upvotes
Edmonton
dHelpfuldude wrote: not sure people are comparing NUC to a laptop. apples to oranges comparison.
NUC has a lot of different uses where a laptop cannot work.
the use cases are totally different, but i see why the comparison is drawn. the NUC has laptop hardware in it but is missing KVM+UPS. without the KVM+UPS it should be cheaper to manufacturer and it would be nice if those savings were passed onto the consumer. if you want another apples to oranges comparison, there's no reason these should cost more than an xbox series x which has vastly more powerful hardware.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2013
1146 posts
804 upvotes
Montr
I dont see why someone should buy this while an Apple refurbished mac mini with M1 is roughly same price (unless of course if one needs softwares that are only available on windows)
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2450 posts
4767 upvotes
Windsor
Just buy an xbox series s and save $370 + tax
May 21, 2015
479 posts
264 upvotes
Desperadude wrote: I dont see why someone should buy this while an Apple refurbished mac mini with M1 is roughly same price (unless of course if one needs softwares that are only available on windows)
m1 is the best value. Unfortunately mines had this random reboot / kernel panic (SOCD watchdog) issue that's totally a buzz kill. i can't recommend it for stability.

having a 2nd or 3rd x86/64 machine as a backup is an ideal solution to a problem like this.

those new diy frame work laptops with 11th gen intel look promising
Jan 12, 2004
925 posts
713 upvotes
ryanaz wrote: if you want another apples to oranges comparison, there's no reason these should cost more than an xbox series x which has vastly more powerful hardware.
But there is a reason. Microsoft takes a loss on the hardware to make money on software and subscriptions.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4937 posts
3526 upvotes
Just get a steam deck and put windows on it.
Jan 6, 2008
326 posts
100 upvotes
Ottawa
I ended up going with a laptop (The Dell G15 deal) instead of the NUC as an HTPC/light gaming machine.
My thinking was that it's really hard to justify the NUC since it's basically a cut down laptop. The NUC also didn't have HDMI 2.1.
Sep 17, 2016
53 posts
45 upvotes
Still using my nuc 5 from 6 years ago. Awesome little computer. (Unfortunately) I still don’t need to upgrade.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
7009 posts
3030 upvotes
GTA
Desperadude wrote: I dont see why someone should buy this while an Apple refurbished mac mini with M1 is roughly same price (unless of course if one needs softwares that are only available on windows)
You said you don't see why, but you just said why..
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5747 posts
7331 upvotes
You guys probably missed the deal last Friday from Amazon. The new ASUS Desktop S500SA was only sold at $80. Someone posted the deal to reddit in the morning and the deal was gone within 15 minutes and I have just received the machine from Amazon and save more than $1000

https://www.reddit.com/r/bapcsalescanad ... 0700_16gb/