Computers & Electronics

$750 Intel NUC 11th gen, i5, 8gb ram, 500 gb SSD, Intel Xe graphics

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2022 12:19 pm
Dec 27, 2008
181 posts
103 upvotes
Thanks OP. I wish I had known before that Costco sells NUCs.

Doesn't make any sense comparing this to a laptop. Very different use scenarios. I wouldn't use a laptop as an HTPC lol ...
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2992 posts
1952 upvotes
lcmt wrote: You guys probably missed the deal last Friday from Amazon. The new ASUS Desktop S500SA was only sold at $80. Someone posted the deal to reddit in the morning and the deal was gone within 15 minutes and I have just received the machine from Amazon and save more than $1000

https://www.reddit.com/r/bapcsalescanad ... 0700_16gb/
Instead of a upvote or downvote we need a time machine button. Mods some action would be helpful here Heavy Exclamation Mark Symbol
Jul 18, 2004
485 posts
497 upvotes
lcmt wrote: You guys probably missed the deal last Friday from Amazon. The new ASUS Desktop S500SA was only sold at $80. Someone posted the deal to reddit in the morning and the deal was gone within 15 minutes and I have just received the machine from Amazon and save more than $1000

https://www.reddit.com/r/bapcsalescanad ... 0700_16gb/
It was Jeff Bezos working on wealth redistribution!

:)
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
1873 posts
1204 upvotes
Montreal
Anyone know if the ram is 1x8GB or 2X4GB? These NUCs are great for a small business, usually very reliable.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
FunnyGamer wrote: A vertical stand, such as the one linked below, minimizes clutter while having a laptop means there is the option to unplug and use on the go.
https://www.amazon.ca/Vertical-Adjustab ... B07PRSWDVK
But still....why? It still takes up more space. I bought a Macbook for my wife and it never left the desk ONCE. We used it in clamshell mode. The battery degraded after 5 years plugged in, permanently charged to 100% (not good for the battery). We bought an iMac instead next time.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
3946 posts
2937 upvotes
Markham
Unless one is really tight on space, no pt getting this as a desktop. Lots of XPS 10th gen i5 with SSD and either 8 or 16gb ram for $600 out there. These are brand new with gpu stripped. In my mind, those are much better and only possible cuz the gpu crave, won’t last forever.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
savemoresaveoften wrote: Unless one is really tight on space, no pt getting this as a desktop. Lots of XPS 10th gen i5 with SSD and either 8 or 16gb ram for $600 out there. These are brand new with gpu stripped. In my mind, those are much better and only possible cuz the gpu crave, won’t last forever.
These micro computers are great because they are very quiet, use very little power (running 24/7), and they are mountable in places like the back of a TV. It looks very clean when you don't want to see a box.

I have a full gaming computer with a 3070, and it's awesome. But I love my little NUC too. Both have their use.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8520 posts
6262 upvotes
Does this support M.2 NVME anyone knows?
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
mkl38s wrote: Does this support M.2 NVME anyone knows?
yes, one nvme pci-e drive and one sata 2.5
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10229 posts
3143 upvotes
Montreal
My 5 year old NUC is still running strong, built like a tank....never crashes. It's a Plex Server to record Over the Air TV to my NAS. Still don't need an upgrade because it's so rock solid. Good price!

No clue why people are comparing this to a laptop or Steam Deck, not the same usage scenarios.
Dec 2, 2010
618 posts
968 upvotes
Toronto
FrostyWinnipeg wrote: Damn all these mini pc's that can't put a speaker jack on the back.
There's one on the front, literally in the first picture and listed in the specs.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2005
2368 posts
937 upvotes
Ottawa
blackstaffer wrote: There's one on the front, literally in the first picture and listed in the specs.
Maybe try reading his comment again. He wants it at the BACK not the front.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2013
1666 posts
1558 upvotes
Montr
savemoresaveoften wrote: Unless one is really tight on space, no pt getting this as a desktop. Lots of XPS 10th gen i5 with SSD and either 8 or 16gb ram for $600 out there. These are brand new with gpu stripped. In my mind, those are much better and only possible cuz the gpu crave, won’t last forever.
A couple of weeks ago a thread on rfd was about a Dell with10 gen i3 at 400$ (Also an i5 at 480$). Excellent deals. The only thing is video output cant do 4k60 (HDMI 1.4)
Jun 10, 2017
120 posts
162 upvotes
London
Avoid NUC if you want a quiet-running unit on your desk. They’re louder than the average laptops, can be annoying for some people.
Mar 29, 2019
608 posts
782 upvotes
Where should I be looking for those?
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
metallicloud wrote: Avoid NUC if you want a quiet-running unit on your desk. They’re louder than the average laptops, can be annoying for some people.
Not sure what you consider "average laptop" but mine is about the same loudness as my Dell Latitude work laptop. Fan spins all the time and there is a bit of a whine but my laptop spins up pretty easily too.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2019
1075 posts
3046 upvotes
oldmanlogan wrote: Where should I be looking for those?
This forum has them often. Assuming you want a small form factor PC, you can DIY:

CPU: Intel Core i5-11500 2.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($291.00 @ shopRBC)
Motherboard: ASRock H510M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1200 Motherboard ($139.75 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($59.99 @ Best Buy Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($69.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Silverstone ML05B HTPC Case ($80.88 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower SFX 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon Canada)

Total: $731.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QcG2PV

This case is about the size of an Xbox 360 but you can go a bit smaller, pick any HTPC/ITX case that supports a SFF power supply.

Same iGPU as the NUC - if you don't care about that, you can probably take off another 100$ by going 10th gen intel.
Feb 3, 2021
17 posts
14 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: Not sure what you consider "average laptop" but mine is about the same loudness as my Dell Latitude work laptop. Fan spins all the time and there is a bit of a whine but my laptop spins up pretty easily too.
I purchased the NUC 10 from Costco back in May ($979.00) and I am very happy with it. Although I use it mostly for internet / e-mail I rarely hear the fan, and when I do it's quiet. I mounted mine to the bottom of my desk.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
3946 posts
2937 upvotes
Markham
oldmanlogan wrote: Where should I be looking for those?
I got mine from K_j_j_ few weeks ago. Paid $600

Dell XPS 8940 white with the following specs:

i5 10th gen with Intel 630
500w PSU
512 SSD + 2TB HDD
16gb ram
dvd-rw drive

wired kybd and mice (most dont need anyway)

the XPS has dp and hdmi output, for non gamers like me, the onboard graphics is good enuf.
Jan 21, 2016
424 posts
291 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I setup an Intel i7 Skull Canyon NUC for my dad some years back. It does the job, but there's clearly a premium for the Intel name on these. That model had a few issues with video that took some time to iron out. The support and polish didn't match the price tag.

If you're not dead set on the form factor there's more cost-friendly options.