• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2021 1:29 pm
Tags:
15 replies
Oct 24, 2005
932 posts
200 upvotes
Wow! Quite a TV!

I want a 85", but am targetting $2k only :(. Maybe $2500 or $3000 if there is a good reason!
Dec 17, 2018
422 posts
1314 upvotes
Toronto, ON
hmmm 85" with only one stand? seems wonky
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2005
2208 posts
726 upvotes
Ottawa
mchoochoo wrote: Wow! Quite a TV!

I want a 85", but am targetting $2k only :(. Maybe $2500 or $3000 if there is a good reason!
Might want to consider a 75" instead with that budget
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
24739 posts
199510 upvotes
GTA
kyoxxx wrote: hmmm 85" with only one stand? seems wonky
A lot of people prefer it - means more options in terms of the media unit / TV stand you are going to put it on top of. If there are stands on either side, you have to make sure you have a a unit that is at least as wide, and in some cases, it's very close, to the point of being right on the edge, which isn't exactly safe either...
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
21962 posts
1745 upvotes
Shanghai, China
What's so special about the pricing? Isn't this MSRP?
Oct 4, 2006
362 posts
139 upvotes
I think the fact it’s available with Costco return and extra year warranty and how close it performs to the 90A makes it a deal - this has the same panel and # of dimming zones as the q90 - definitely a great tv and best price for performance at the 85” LCD premium market.
Dec 27, 2018
195 posts
281 upvotes
compare to smaller size, it should have a VA panel so the contrast would be better.
But it doesn't have dolby vision input support, and the only one HDMI 2.1 port (atleast not the same port as the ARC) makes it a harder buy if you have multiple next gen console / PC that uses it.
Nov 6, 2006
352 posts
305 upvotes
Coquitlam
chlronald wrote: compare to smaller size, it should have a VA panel so the contrast would be better.
But it doesn't have dolby vision input support, and the only one HDMI 2.1 port (atleast not the same port as the ARC) makes it a harder buy if you have multiple next gen console / PC that uses it.
Typical Samsung, intentionally crippling their products...
[OP]
Sep 13, 2012
77 posts
33 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Sgt_Strider wrote: What's so special about the pricing? Isn't this MSRP?
Going up by $1000 after expiry and it was hard to find in stock in Costco
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
21962 posts
1745 upvotes
Shanghai, China
chlronald wrote: compare to smaller size, it should have a VA panel so the contrast would be better.
Are you sure it has a VA panel? I think I read it has an IPS-like panel.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
2012 posts
472 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
Sgt_Strider wrote: Are you sure it has a VA panel? I think I read it has an IPS-like panel.
The smaller sizes do have ADS (like IPS) but this is VA: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsu ... ifferences

edit: personally I think at this pricepoint I'd be looking hard at the 77" OLED, but it's definitely a contender! I'm hoping either or both of these go down to $4k at BF.
Jun 4, 2018
269 posts
301 upvotes
errational wrote: The smaller sizes do have ADS (like IPS) but this is VA: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsu ... ifferences

edit: personally I think at this pricepoint I'd be looking hard at the 77" OLED, but it's definitely a contender! I'm hoping either or both of these go down to $4k at BF.
I weighed the same options and ended up with a Sony 77" OLED.

The Samsung is a nice tv, but ultimately it's just trying to emulate OLED.