Acer Aspire 5, Ryzen 7 5700U, 16GB Ram, 15.6 FHD, 512 GB SSD, Wi-Fi 6 = 799.97

• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2022 3:35 pm
[OP]
Dec 12, 2015
85 posts
143 upvotes
North Vancouver

[Costco] Acer Aspire 5, Ryzen 7 5700U, 16GB Ram, 15.6 FHD, 512 GB SSD, Wi-Fi 6 = 799.97

Decent deal at Costco. Please note the bilingual keyboard as I know many ppl will get sad about that one.

Processor and Memory:
AMD Ryzen™ 7 5700U processor
16 GB DDR4

Drives:
512 GB SSD
No optical drive

Display and Video Graphics:
15.6-in. FHD display (1920 × 1080)
AMD Radeon™ graphics

Communication:
Wi-Fi 6 + Bluetooth® 5.0
Webcam

Keyboard and Pointing Device:
Bilingual backlit keyboard
Multi-gesture touch-pad
Fingerprint reader

Ports:
1 × USB-C™
2 × USB 3.2
1 × USB 2.0
1 × HDMI®
1 × LAN
1 × headphone/microphone combo

Operating System:
Microsoft® Windows® 10 Home

Specifications:
Dimensions (W × D × H): 36.3 cm × 25.0 cm × 1.8 cm (14.3 in. × 9.9 in. × 0.7 in.)
Weight (approximate): 1.8 kg (4.0 lb.)

Warranty and Returns:
For Costco members only, Costco extends manufacturer warranty to 2 years from the date of purchase if the manufacturer's warranty is less than 2 years. Click on the Concierge Services icon for details. Concierge Service is offered exclusively to Costco members.
Returns accepted within 90 days from date of purchase

Model: A515-45-R79S
Images
  • Acer Laptop.jpg
Thread Summary
If you're looking for a new computer for work or school, check out RFD Reviews' list of the best laptops for students!
16 replies
Dec 1, 2017
31 posts
57 upvotes
Great price. If the pictures are accurate, the bilingual keyboard is the normal layout one with a normal sized enter key, so I don't think it is a big deal.

Does anyone know if the USB-C port supports display out? For dual external monitors? If so, hot deal
Jan 22, 2009
476 posts
59 upvotes
Do we know the screen specs? Questionable review saying it's really crappy.
Aug 24, 2018
523 posts
240 upvotes
Langley BC
shunrei wrote: Great price. If the pictures are accurate, the bilingual keyboard is the normal layout one with a normal sized enter key, so I don't think it is a big deal.

Does anyone know if the USB-C port supports display out? For dual external monitors? If so, hot deal
This says HDMI only https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspi ... 784.0.html

I wonder why it's still only Vega 8 ?!
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3701 posts
2471 upvotes
Calgary
tokinup wrote: Do we know the screen specs? Questionable review saying it's really crappy.
Likely one of the cheaper 250nits 50% sRGB displays. Adequate for home indoor usage but I wouldn't bet on pro editing.
Nov 17, 2013
242 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto, ON
im confused.. seems like a normal price?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
6062 posts
7291 upvotes
The NORTH
MaxMartin wrote: im confused.. seems like a normal price?
Seems a little high to me for an Acer. :)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
6062 posts
7291 upvotes
The NORTH
What8ever8left wrote: That is a TFT panel it seems and HDMI only 1.4 so no 60Hz.
And this acer is not a TFT panel?
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3703 posts
1816 upvotes
Vancouver
AliBash24 wrote: Same specs as this Asus
https://www.costco.ca/.product.100789735.html

Except Asus have 1TB and it's Asus.
I know the comments about Acer build quality, but I've had more issues with low end Asus than I have with comparable Acer. Maybe it's luck of the draw at this end of the pricing spectrum.

My daughter's Swift 5 survived having a full glass of water spilled on the keyboard.... it was the third glass of water that finally killed it. 🤦‍♂️
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
6062 posts
7291 upvotes
The NORTH
Bishop8 wrote: I know the comments about Acer build quality, but I've had more issues with low end Asus than I have with comparable Acer. Maybe it's luck of the draw at this end of the pricing spectrum.

My daughter's Swift 5 survived having a full glass of water spilled on the keyboard.... it was the third glass of water that finally killed it. 🤦‍♂️
If at first you don't succeed... Maybe she was trying to get a replacement? Face With Tears Of Joy
Aug 24, 2009
699 posts
319 upvotes
Mississauga
I just replaced a keyboard for a friends’ kids Swift 314. I’ve never had to disassemble a notebook so much to do that as compared to a Lenovo, etc. I actually told him my chances of getting it back together again was 50%. Luckily it did survive the surgery. I told him we’ll avoid Acer laptops in the future as they aren’t durable enough for 11 year olds and are too hard to repair.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3703 posts
1816 upvotes
Vancouver
kr0zet wrote: If at first you don't succeed... Maybe she was trying to get a replacement? Face With Tears Of Joy
Nah, she's just a klutz with water. I always see a full cup perched precariously on a couch cushion or on top of a homework pile; basically where no reasonable human would assume to put such a thing. It was to the point where I was going to mandate her to use a sippy cup -- and she just entered uni. haha

Ironically she loved that Swift 5 (it was a Microsoft store deal). Blue magnesium alloy, super light, perfect aesthetics for a young woman on the go. After she killed it she had to pay for the next one. Fortunately she has my practical (cheap) side, so she agreed to the more utilitarian, heavier Dell Inspiron. Sweet life lesson. :)
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3703 posts
1816 upvotes
Vancouver
Actually, to the deal at hand, I guess an alternative that others could look at is this:

https://deals.dell.com/en-ca/productdet ... 24bYPI5P3H

With Rakuten 15% off right now, that should bring the price down to $790, so marginally cheaper.

Dell Pro: English keyboard; touchscreen; build quality (feel free to debate); lighter (3.6lbs vs 4.0lbs); USB-C does PD and DP (unsure about Acer)
Costco Pro: Return policy

I have to admit I was tempted to get the Dell for my son for uni, but a poster in the Rakuten thread helped convince me to roll the dice and wait it out for (hopeful) BTS sales.