Costco

Acer Predator PO3-630G-UW91 gaming desktop 1660 Super $799.96

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2023 10:28 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4459 posts
1517 upvotes
Decent deal for a PC with nice case lol. you also get costco warranty.
+1 OP
Jun 17, 2021
35 posts
27 upvotes
That's not how ram works. You're just inviting yourself to a party of BSODs by using mismatched pairs, and then countless hours of useless troubleshooting or data recovery with Acer support.

When you buy a kit of 2x8gb sticks of ram, the pairs are matched during factory QA for stability. If you just buy a random 8gb stick and add it to your existing one, it is sure to cause stability issues while gaming unless you turn the timings back to like 2400, which I am sure the target audience will not do.
Error: You cannot vote on your own post
Deal Fanatic
Mar 29, 2002
5482 posts
2496 upvotes
Vancouver
undacova wrote: Holy smokes when did you get this?

Lady week I got Acer nitro with same specs but RTX 3060ti for $1049+ tax.

Would have loved to get yours for a cheaper price too lol
it was a few weeks ago. i swapped cards with my son as he games and i took his older GPU so he is a happy camper
Last edited by hesp on Jan 23rd, 2023 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You gotta spend money to save money"
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2008
3766 posts
1085 upvotes
Toronto
hesp wrote: it was a few weeks ago. i swapped cards with my son as he games and i took his older GPU so he is a happy camper
Nice, did you get it randomly or you watch for them?

Yours this week was on sale for $1200 but it was oos which is why I went with the acer. I haven't received it yet so might wait and see if I can get a better one next time.
Aug 28, 2014
742 posts
1349 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
y2dave wrote: Nvidia GTX 1660 Super can't run much games. Can't do 4k. Outdated GPU
Ok there captain obvious, this is an $800 computer.

Got any other insights you'd like to share?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 29, 2002
5482 posts
2496 upvotes
Vancouver
undacova wrote: Nice, did you get it randomly or you watch for them?

Yours this week was on sale for $1200 but it was oos which is why I went with the acer. I haven't received it yet so might wait and see if I can get a better one next time.
just random; my son was complaining his pc was lagging ( i dont blame him it was a i7-920 Acer which funny enough i got from Costco back in 2010) so i gave him my system which i got about 2 years ago so i was just randomly looking for a new PC . I was just checking LD, Staples, BB, amazon, the usual suspects. I did get the Acer Orion for $700 as well but i returned it.

Yeah just keep any eye on it and others. I figured with the holiday season over; there are more returns so there is a greater chance to score a certified open box
"You gotta spend money to save money"
Nov 30, 2021
46 posts
22 upvotes
cheaper_than_cheap wrote: Just for fun I priced out a build with the same specs using lower end components. Came to $850 not including the OS.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ttkHgb

Sure you could do better by waiting for sales, buying some parts used, etc. And of course anyone building a new system now would use newer parts. But this is a turnkey system with the Costco warranty. I don’t think you are the target market.
Simply swap that ultra low end version of $350 1660 super (lol) for a Radeon 6600 or better and you instantly have a superior gaming machine at that same price. Of course with some deal hunting and research the specs could be even better.

This prebuilt has value in one area: you dont have to build the system, however adding another 8GB is just about necessary. Also it's not quite as overpriced as usual.
Zoomer $37/9GB+free Pixel 4a
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2006
1086 posts
3521 upvotes
Outside Poker Flat
Grandpa, no matter I try building with a 13600K, 7600X or 5x00X, pcpartpicker is warning me I might need to update the mainboard's BIOS. What a nightmare. Does grandma still have a Costco membership?

It's a pretty funky time to build a mid-tier system right now.
"𝐅𝐨𝐫 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐨𝐥𝐚 𝐜𝐨𝐬𝐭𝐬 𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐧𝐨𝐰, 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐠𝐨 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐨 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐭 𝐛𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐧𝐚𝐦𝐞." - 𝐞𝐮𝐧𝐨𝐢𝐚
𝔻𝕠𝕖𝕤 𝕒𝕟𝕪𝕠𝕟𝕖 𝕜𝕟𝕠𝕨 𝕒 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕦𝕞 𝕝𝕚𝕜𝕖 ℍ𝕠𝕥 𝔻𝕖𝕒𝕝𝕤 𝕖𝕩𝕔𝕖𝕡𝕥 𝕨𝕚𝕥𝕙 𝕘𝕠𝕠𝕕 𝕡𝕣𝕚𝕔𝕖𝕤 𝕠𝕟 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘𝕤 𝕡𝕖𝕠𝕡𝕝𝕖 𝕟𝕖𝕖𝕕?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2022
1143 posts
1829 upvotes
iveykun wrote: That's not how ram works. You're just inviting yourself to a party of BSODs by using mismatched pairs, and then countless hours of useless troubleshooting or data recovery with Acer support.

When you buy a kit of 2x8gb sticks of ram, the pairs are matched during factory QA for stability. If you just buy a random 8gb stick and add it to your existing one, it is sure to cause stability issues while gaming unless you turn the timings back to like 2400, which I am sure the target audience will not do.
No.
When buying RAM for a channel it gets bought matched, for all we know they stuck 2x4GB in there. Doesn't matter because that is where the second set of slots come in.
There is a second set of DIMM slots (according to Acer site), populate the second one and it will be fine.
Jun 17, 2021
35 posts
27 upvotes
podric wrote: No.
When buying RAM for a channel it gets bought matched, for all we know they stuck 2x4GB in there. Doesn't matter because that is where the second set of slots come in.
There is a second set of DIMM slots (according to Acer site), populate the second one and it will be fine.
well, it's been a long time since i've seen 2x4gb, it's not as cost effective as a single 8gb stick. Willing to bet it's a single stick. You can check reviews of this pc
Error: You cannot vote on your own post
Jun 28, 2006
954 posts
112 upvotes
Calgary
Hmm...wondering if this is about as cheap as I can get to power a virtual pinball machine (Pinball FX3)...
Aug 27, 2017
92 posts
68 upvotes
iveykun wrote: well, it's been a long time since i've seen 2x4gb, it's not as cost effective as a single 8gb stick. Willing to bet it's a single stick. You can check reviews of this pc
Ok, instead of adding an 8gb unmatched stick for 16 total... PULL the original ram and add matched pair of 8 or 16. Then sell the original 8.

Solves the problem of unmatched timings.
iveykun wrote: If you just buy a random 8gb stick and add it to your existing one, it is sure to cause stability issues while gaming unless you turn the timings back to like 2400
Really, you are SURE that unmatched sticks will always cause stability issues. I'll give you there is a chance for issues but wouldn't say it's a sure thing.
Oct 25, 2008
609 posts
527 upvotes
Montreal
Anyone happen to see this in Montreal region?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2022
1143 posts
1829 upvotes
iveykun wrote: well, it's been a long time since i've seen 2x4gb, it's not as cost effective as a single 8gb stick. Willing to bet it's a single stick. You can check reviews of this pc
Or you can just add 8gb to the second set of dim slots. I don’t know why this is so hard for you.