Shopping Discussion

Locked: Costco adding comments to my account!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 4th, 2021 9:15 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 15, 2010
5 posts
7 upvotes

Costco adding comments to my account!

I went to return some items last week at a local Costco and all 14 items were purchased less than one year and in new condition and all were still on sale at Costco except for two discontinued ones.

Costco refused to return two of them and told me that my account already has comments that I return items after a long time of purchase and that they will add another comment.

I told rep that it is not more than once a year where I return items that were purchased a while ago and it is always less than a year and in unused condition. I was told that the frequency does not matter and that less than one year is not good even if items are new!?

I never had issue like this at Costco, been a member since 1998 and I buy A LOT of stuff from them every year and I do not abuse their return system and I am always a very respectful and well mannered customer.

I asked head office about this and they said that a manager from that store would call me back and no one did :(

Anyone else had similar experience with comments added to their account?

I have seen very annoying and disrespectful members at return counter and wonder what happens to them if I get comments to my account?
Share:
170 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2809 posts
2097 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
SuperDishMan wrote: I went to return some items last week at a local Costco and all 14 items were purchased less than one year
I'd refuse your return too. 14 items? Something's funky there.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5406 posts
1614 upvotes
Toronto
I'm very glad to hear that Costco is cracking down on people abusing their return policy.
Sep 3, 2019
798 posts
554 upvotes
GTA
I'm not sure I see an issue with a 1 year old return item if it's new (and not expired).

I once saw a woman successfully return a bottle of oil that was 80-90% used lmao - that is what should be stopped.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5030 posts
2842 upvotes
Toronto
My only issue with this is a lack of transparency.
If someone is issuing a black mark on me, I should have the right to know.
It is not impossible that an employee could make a mistake.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4289 posts
3077 upvotes
SuperDishMan wrote: I went to return some items last week at a local Costco and all 14 items were purchased less than one year and in new condition and all were still on sale at Costco except for two discontinued ones.

Costco refused to return two of them and told me that my account already has comments that I return items after a long time of purchase and that they will add another comment.

I told rep that it is not more than once a year where I return items that were purchased a while ago and it is always less than a year and in unused condition. I was told that the frequency does not matter and that less than one year is not good even if items are new!?

I never had issue like this at Costco, been a member since 1998 and I buy A LOT of stuff from them every year and I do not abuse their return system and I am always a very respectful and well mannered customer.

I asked head office about this and they said that a manager from that store would call me back and no one did :(

Anyone else had similar experience with comments added to their account?

I have seen very annoying and disrespectful members at return counter and wonder what happens to them if I get comments to my account?
Good. I hope you're banned from returning things altogether. 14 returns after one year and you don't see that as abuse? What do you think happens to the items your return? Good chance they end up in the landfill.
Aug 2, 2014
81 posts
31 upvotes
Bedford, NS
I don't think 14 items is that bad depending on what it is.

Could be some kind of building material like those light switches or light bulbs. I can see that happening.

14 packages of toilet paper maybe not.

Never heard of comments though. May be time to go to a different Costco.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5030 posts
2842 upvotes
Toronto
This thread is near certainly going to be a magnet for the RFD army of Costco moralists who perpetually fear that Costco will punish them for the actions of impure Costco members. Brace for the thumbs.

14 is not some massively insane amount. It really depends on relativity - how much $$ is a member spending in total?

The biggest thing working against you is returning everything at once. With this said, I can't blame you for doing it in one shot - returning something at Costco during the Covid era is super annoying. I've had to do it twice (both times, defective items), and hated it (long lines of chaos).
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11558 posts
3818 upvotes
Toronto
alexrok wrote: May be time to go to a different Costco.
I would be surprise if the comment is not Costco wise.

They scan your Costco card, all your info and purchase history is there regardless you go to the Costco in Vancouver or Montreal.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10586 posts
12764 upvotes
Vancouver
shikotee wrote: My only issue with this is a lack of transparency.
What lack of transparency? He was told outright that he has a mark in his record. What more did you want Costco to do? Phone him at home to let him know?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5030 posts
2842 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: What lack of transparency? He was told outright that he has a mark in his record. What more did you want Costco to do? Phone him at home to let him know?
He was just told about previous comments.
If the comment is meant to be a warning, it should be issued to member when entered, and not behind the back.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10586 posts
12764 upvotes
Vancouver
shikotee wrote: He was just told about previous comments.
If the comment is meant to be a warning, it should be issued to member when entered, and not behind the back.
The comments are probably not generated at checkout, but when some algorithm picks up a pattern and lets someone in some faraway office know, who enters it.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1213 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
yikes, 14 items?!!? maybe i should start "borrowing" stuff from costco, too!!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6227 posts
636 upvotes
BC
I can not believe all of these comments about having 14 returns. I return stuff all the time. Hell, I've probably had 14 returns already this year and we are not even 2 months in.

Main reason, theres no chance to think about something because if you dont buy it when you see it, its gone the next time you go. And, its never coming back.

Clothes, you cant try them on so normally I will buy 2 if I'm unsure of sizing, ya, everything fits differently. I just bought 2 pairs of pants on sale because of this and I dont like the fit of either, so back they go.

Right now I have 4 items that need to be returned, I'll take them in on a day I'm not rushed because these days you need extra time to wait in line to return, and then wait in the other line to get in. I might even add to the count by the time I get in to do it.
That's my 2cents worth
Aug 30, 2020
811 posts
1221 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
14 items is a lot. Just curious what they were?
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11558 posts
3818 upvotes
Toronto
I don't agree with OP and Keelie about frequent returning items to store/warehouse.

A lot of stuff is not going to back to the shelve to re-sell, they will go to landfill or sell to another wholesaler.

It is a big waste and not environmental friendly.

I do understand don't blame the players, blame the game/system. Costco is open to do that and attract people to buy now, think later attitude. They can still make money when 10 buy and 5 returns.

As a consumer, pls consider the environment and do not TOO abuse the system. If everyone do their part, the world will be healthier,
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1609 posts
2302 upvotes
West
While I don't shop at Costco and have no idea what their return policies are...

... we're setting the bar real low if the timeline of "under a year" is somehow considered reasonable to do on a regular basis. It is more than likely the items become unsellable at that point when stock gets rotated out, if it's even a non-food item in the first place.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4914 posts
3970 upvotes
shikotee wrote: My only issue with this is a lack of transparency.
Where is this entitlement coming from? Why should you get to know? Transparency? For whom and why?

Private business, can tell anyone they don't like to scram as long as not against the protection granted by law/charter

Seriously, why would you be entitled to database of a private company? Even if it is about you, it's not your data and you have no right whatsoever to it
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5030 posts
2842 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: Where is this entitlement coming from? Why should you get to know? Transparency? For whom and why?

Private business, can tell anyone they don't like to scram as long as not against the protection granted by law/charter

Seriously, why would you be entitled to database of a private company? Even if it is about you, it's not your data and you have no right whatsoever to it
Very easy answer - it stems from Costco's Code of Ethics, as cited on their website.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4289 posts
3077 upvotes
shikotee wrote: This thread is near certainly going to be a magnet for the RFD army of Costco moralists who perpetually fear that Costco will punish them for the actions of impure Costco members. Brace for the thumbs.

14 is not some massively insane amount. It really depends on relativity - how much $$ is a member spending in total?

The biggest thing working against you is returning everything at once. With this said, I can't blame you for doing it in one shot - returning something at Costco during the Covid era is super annoying. I've had to do it twice (both times, defective items), and hated it (long lines of chaos).
You seem pretty out of touch with reality - Costco moralist? Really? How about just being a decent person? If he returned 14 items such as clothing or unopened/unused stuff within a month, ok maybe but after a year? Or returning non-food and unused 1 item after a year, fine. Nothing to do with how much you spend there. I'm guessing you do this so you see nothing wrong with it but it is abuse no matter which way you put it.

They need to limit it to 3 months and not allow returns on perishables or any opened food items unless it's gone bad before expiry. Right now too many greedy unethical people look at as a free borrowing or sampling session - and I'm glad they're tracking frequent returners.
shikotee wrote: Very easy answer - it stems from Costco's Code of Ethics, as cited on their website.
They're not violating their CoE - did you even read it? I did. Enough with the fake outrage already.