Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Alaskan Premium Ice Melter 22.5KG(49.6LBs) $16.49

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2020 9:45 pm
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Aug 4, 2020
28 posts
25 upvotes

[Costco] Alaskan Premium Ice Melter 22.5KG(49.6LBs) $16.49

This is my first post so sorry in advanced if I posted incorrectly. Notice this at Costco Ancaster this evening. Works out to approx $0.73 per kg. I believe the other big retailers carry the smaller 20 kg(44lbs) bags

Compared to:
Canadian tire. 20KG $24.99
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/alas ... 1005p.html

Home Depot - 20KG $19.98
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/catego ... ntrol.html

Home hardware 20KG $17.97
https://www.homehardware.ca/en/alaskan- ... /p/5548552


Lowe’s. 20KG. $14.99
https://www.lowes.ca/product/ice-melt/a ... bag-274727

Rona. 20KG $14.99
https://www.rona.ca/en/alaskan-premium- ... 51-4854012
Images
  • D54AE264-1FA9-4560-A559-A28DECA75444.jpeg
  • D6065058-7429-4673-9B6F-532F3BB10B6B.jpeg
Last edited by khamsi on Dec 21st, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1566 posts
745 upvotes
Serious question: how good are these really compared to regular salt?

I still have salt from 2yrs ago and havent used much. I dont see any reason why I should go with this one (?) Im in the Waterloo region and we get more snow here.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 17, 2004
4814 posts
870 upvotes
You end up using more salt for the same size driveway because the salt is in the size of a pebble. Salt also stains the heck out of everything.

I bought a bag of salt a couple years back because the Alaskan was sold out. I will never go back to using salt if I have a choice.
"I live my life a quarter-mile at a time, for those 10 seconds or less... i'm free."

11 Never Summer Heritage, 08 Rome Targa
08 Nitro Eero Ettala 155, 07 Rome 390
07 Capita Outdoor Living 154
Cervelo Soloist Carbon Ultegra
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
1519 posts
1075 upvotes
BC
just in time for the first snow fall in GVRD...
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Aug 4, 2020
28 posts
25 upvotes
Biscayne05 wrote: Serious question: how good are these really compared to regular salt?

I still have salt from 2yrs ago and havent used much. I dont see any reason why I should go with this one (?) Im in the Waterloo region and we get more snow here.
Totally get why you ask. In your case it probably doesn’t make sense to spend the extra money for it. In other cases for those that have used the regular salt on your poured concrete driveway or stairs and seen how it eats away at your concrete, these Alaskan are the best out there. They melt ice much better at low freezing temperatures and don’t eat away at your concrete. It also keeps the ice separated from your concrete so when you do shovel it slides right off without having to find that darn chisel cause the ice just doesn’t break up. If this is not your case then save your money.
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Aug 4, 2020
28 posts
25 upvotes
bluetroll wrote: You end up using more salt for the same size driveway because the salt is in the size of a pebble. Salt also stains the heck out of everything.

I bought a bag of salt a couple years back because the Alaskan was sold out. I will never go back to using salt if I have a choice.
Totally understand. Some of the salt out there are useless under low freezing temperatures. For poured concrete it is much less harsh using Alaskan (not salt) so it doesn’t eat away at your concrete and leave pits or holes.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1566 posts
745 upvotes
khamsi wrote: Totally get why you ask. In your case it probably doesn’t make sense to spend the extra money for it. In other cases for those that have used the regular salt on your poured concrete driveway or stairs and seen how it eats away at your concrete, these Alaskan are the best out there. They melt ice much better at low freezing temperatures and don’t eat away at your concrete. It also keeps the ice separated from your concrete so when you do shovel it slides right off without having to find that darn chisel cause the ice just doesn’t break up. If this is not your case then save your money.
This is probably the reason why my front door has cracked/chipped surface. The previous owner had 0 clue on maintaining the house and probably just spread so much salt on the porch.

Thank you
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Aug 4, 2020
28 posts
25 upvotes
Biscayne05 wrote: This is probably the reason why my front door has cracked/chipped surface. The previous owner had 0 clue on maintaining the house and probably just spread so much salt on the porch.

Thank you
Yep! Sounds like one of the culprits.

Top