Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

All Northrock bikes are back

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2021 11:59 am
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2003
1069 posts
368 upvotes
GTA
nikotine30 wrote: You make some good points, and I agree with you that Northrock bikes have some compromises compared to the bikes from the well known brands like Giant (and Specialized, and Cannondale, etc.). Likewise, some component choices are out of date with modern standards. You already mentioned the gearing and skinny tires, and I will also add to it the lack of through-axles and the usage of square tapered bottom bracket.

I'm not sure I agree with your statement that "northrock is known to go with the cheapest possible parts asides from the shimano groupset parts". Some components are actually quite decent for the price. I bought a Northrock XCF fatbike a few weeks ago and I've been quite pleased by the saddle (Velo brand), tires (Kenda), brakes (Tektro discs), and crankset (ProWheel). Those are all "good enough" components and I'm not sure that Giant is offering substantially better components in their entry level bikes.
Where did you find a "Northrock XCF fatbike a few weeks ago", I thought I bought the last one in Ontario a couple months ago lol
Images
  • 20201208_025001_HDR.jpg
  • 20201229_224851_HDR.jpg
Feb 21, 2011
158 posts
236 upvotes
Canada
sonspot wrote: Where did you find a "Northrock XCF fatbike a few weeks ago", I thought I bought the last one in Ontario a couple months ago lol
There have been at least 1-2 times that Costco restocked the XCF model online and it was posted here on RFD. But each time the bikes were sold out within minutes. I managed to snag a sale around 2-3 weeks ago and paid $580 + tax, which is I believe $80 higher than the in-store price but includes shipping. As you are alluding to, in-store stock of Northrock bikes to my knowledge has been 0 so far in 2021 and the only source has been online.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
3036 posts
1205 upvotes
The RC120 at Decathlon is also a good price for a entry level road bike $720. I picked one up because I didn't want to play the Costco lottery with the SR1 anymore.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2003
1069 posts
368 upvotes
GTA
Deals Deals Deals wrote: The RC120 at Decathlon is also a good price for a entry level road bike $720. I picked one up because I didn't want to play the Costco lottery with the SR1 anymore.
Well guess what, its sold out now.. lol I'm looking for a mountain bike to turn into another ebike, gotta have 2 when you have a GF
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
2323 posts
2840 upvotes
Ottawa
nikotine30 wrote: You make some good points, and I agree with you that Northrock bikes have some compromises compared to the bikes from the well known brands like Giant (and Specialized, and Cannondale, etc.). Likewise, some component choices are out of date with modern standards. You already mentioned the gearing and skinny tires, and I will also add to it the lack of through-axles and the usage of square tapered bottom bracket.

I'm not sure I agree with your statement that "northrock is known to go with the cheapest possible parts asides from the shimano groupset parts". Some components are actually quite decent for the price. I bought a Northrock XCF fatbike a few weeks ago and I've been quite pleased by the saddle (Velo brand), tires (Kenda), brakes (Tektro discs), and crankset (ProWheel). Those are all "good enough" components and I'm not sure that Giant is offering substantially better components in their entry level bikes.

Those components are actually used by Giant. My Roam has Kenda tires. Northrock is definitely a good buy, value for product
Dec 11, 2011
524 posts
837 upvotes
CALEDON
Mine finally shipped after Jan 13th order. UPS expected date of arrival Feb 12th EOD.

XC29 and SR1 incoming. Looking forward to putting it together.

Would you guys recommend taking it to a local bike shop like Gears to have it perfected according to my dimensions. Anything else you guys recommend after initial assembly?
Feb 21, 2011
158 posts
236 upvotes
Canada
sik20fan wrote: Mine finally shipped after Jan 13th order. UPS expected date of arrival Feb 12th EOD.

XC29 and SR1 incoming. Looking forward to putting it together.

Would you guys recommend taking it to a local bike shop like Gears to have it perfected according to my dimensions. Anything else you guys recommend after initial assembly?
Both a road bike and a mountain bike? Wow, congrats.

I assembled my Northrock XCF fatbike after receiving it a few weeks ago and it was pretty well pre-assembled right out of the box, with a few minor niggles. The front wheel wasn't perfectly trued, and there could have been grease on some parts like the seat post and pedal threads. I couldn't true the wheel myself but this is so minor that I just ride the bike with a slightly untrue wheel. I'm not too sure you need to bring it to the local bike shop. Just ride it and then decide later on if you need to bring it for a tuneup at the LBS.
Dec 11, 2011
524 posts
837 upvotes
CALEDON
nikotine30 wrote: Both a road bike and a mountain bike? Wow, congrats.

I assembled my Northrock XCF fatbike after receiving it a few weeks ago and it was pretty well pre-assembled right out of the box, with a few minor niggles. The front wheel wasn't perfectly trued, and there could have been grease on some parts like the seat post and pedal threads. I couldn't true the wheel myself but this is so minor that I just ride the bike with a slightly untrue wheel. I'm not too sure you need to bring it to the local bike shop. Just ride it and then decide later on if you need to bring it for a tuneup at the LBS.
I agree, I think that’s the best approach thank you.
I really enjoy mountain biking with friends but equally enjoy riding on the active to route every Saturday morning.
Having done that in a very old mountain bike, I realized it was not up for the task. Instead of getting a middle of the ground for both activities, I decided this approach is much better suited. I’ll be happy in both environments with the correct tools.

:)
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1698 posts
999 upvotes
XC29 & SR1 are back in stock
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 18, 2013
5659 posts
9734 upvotes
BC
ziaa wrote: XC29 & SR1 are back in stock
Only 12 in stock for the SR1, It'll go quick

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)