• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2018 9:57 am
[OP]
Jan 1, 2009
287 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto

[Costco] Amped Wireless REC33A-CA Range Extender - $78.99 - $90 Off

Could not find many reviews but looks like a good deal. Best Buy has it for $150.

Enjoy fast HD or 4K streaming and lag-free gaming anywhere in your home with this High Power AC1750 Plug-In Wi-Fi Range Extender from Amped Wireless. Featuring next generation AC1750 Wi-Fi, this device expands the range of any regular WiFi router by up to 10,000 sq. ft. to eliminate dead spots and deliver solid bandwidth for demanding networks.
11 replies
Aug 21, 2011
92 posts
81 upvotes
McMasterville
FYI, Amped Wireless has very poor support for their devices. They still haven't released firmware updates to address KRACK Attack exploit for most of their devices. I own a RTA2600 router and their last firmware update is dated from November 2015. They pushed firmware updates for this device for only 4 months, on a $200+ router.
Dec 24, 2011
465 posts
306 upvotes
toronto
bennydiamond wrote: FYI, Amped Wireless has very poor support for their devices. They still haven't released firmware updates to address KRACK Attack exploit for most of their devices. I own a RTA2600 router and their last firmware update is dated from November 2015. They pushed firmware updates for this device for only 4 months, on a $200+ router.
Any other recommendations for wifi range extenders? Have limited range in just one room.
Aug 9, 2007
396 posts
187 upvotes
animeshw wrote: Any other recommendations for wifi range extenders? Have limited range in just one room.
if somewhere near the room has an ethernet port it's probably cheaper to get an asus router on sale and put it in AP mode and plug the ethernet port from the other router into the WAN port and then set the wifi SSID and password to the same one as your router
May 28, 2007
311 posts
249 upvotes
CALGARY
animeshw wrote: Any other recommendations for wifi range extenders? Have limited range in just one room.
i tried a few (not this one) and they never work good.
range were barely extended, wifi cuts off randomly, and makes wifi very slow.
It much easier to just get better routers or routers that support wifi mesh.
May 28, 2007
311 posts
249 upvotes
CALGARY
Kenjuta wrote: if somewhere near the room has an ethernet port it's probably cheaper to get an asus router on sale and put it in AP mode and plug the ethernet port from the other router into the WAN port and then set the wifi SSID and password to the same one as your router
if you have one of the newer ASUS routers, it would likely support the new AiMesh firmware to create a wifi mesh
Aug 21, 2011
92 posts
81 upvotes
McMasterville
I bought a DAP-1530 and I'm satisfied with it, currently 40$ on BestBuy. It's not as fast as the one OP posted (AC750 vs AC1750). I too had poor wifi coverage in one room, at least according to my cheap Android TV Box (probably doesn't have a great wifi module in there). No drops and is fast enough for 1080p streaming of high bitrate MKVs. Android app to control it is crap but it's not a device you manage actively. I haven't tested it thoroughly for latency, it might add 1-2 ms. In my case I don't care, it's for streaming medias and browsing the web.

Wifi repeater are not all that great. They reduce the global wifi bandwidth of your wireless router. If you can manage to add a second wifi network to your home, wiring a second wifi emitting device from your main router, that would be the ideal solution. In my case, I just wanted that TV box to get a strong signal, the rest of my devices are mostly wired so I don't mind reduced wifi speeds, I don't notice it.
Dec 24, 2011
465 posts
306 upvotes
toronto
milkmilk wrote: i tried a few (not this one) and they never work good.
range were barely extended, wifi cuts off randomly, and makes wifi very slow.
It much easier to just get better routers or routers that support wifi mesh.

Thank You.
Dec 24, 2011
465 posts
306 upvotes
toronto
bennydiamond wrote: I bought a DAP-1530 and I'm satisfied with it, currently 40$ on BestBuy. It's not as fast as the one OP posted (AC750 vs AC1750). I too had poor wifi coverage in one room, at least according to my cheap Android TV Box (probably doesn't have a great wifi module in there). No drops and is fast enough for 1080p streaming of high bitrate MKVs. Android app to control it is crap but it's not a device you manage actively. I haven't tested it thoroughly for latency, it might add 1-2 ms. In my case I don't care, it's for streaming medias and browsing the web.

Wifi repeater are not all that great. They reduce the global wifi bandwidth of your wireless router. If you can manage to add a second wifi network to your home, wiring a second wifi emitting device from your main router, that would be the ideal solution. In my case, I just wanted that TV box to get a strong signal, the rest of my devices are mostly wired so I don't mind reduced wifi speeds, I don't notice it.
Thank You will try
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13260 posts
7986 upvotes
Markham
Don't have one of these but I would think a lot of people may have a old router lying around after a upgrade. Can you not take that old router and put it into bridge mode and use it as another access point with ethernet ports attached to it and/or wifi spot(?).
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!