• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2020 6:45 pm
[OP]
Feb 21, 2011
44 posts
34 upvotes
Canada

[Costco] Amped Wireless RTA2600-R2 Wireless Router $119.99

This appears to be version 2 of the RTA2600 Wireless router, i.e. Athena-R2, from Amped Wireless, a relatively less well-known wireless manufacturer.

This router is dual band, with MU-MIMO, and with beamforming technology. It has 2 USB ports for connecting hard drives as NAS devices, including one USB 3.0

At $120, this is much cheaper than sold elsewhere.

There are not many reviews of this router. The 2 reviews I found are mostly positive:

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8113/ ... index.html
https://smarthousetoday.com/review-amped-wireless/

The internals such chipset can be found here:
http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/w ... RTA2600-R2
32 replies
[OP]
Feb 21, 2011
44 posts
34 upvotes
Canada
What do the wifi experts think of this deal? Is this better than the TP-Link AC2600 (Archer A10) found at Amazon for $130?

Comparing chipsets:

- TP-Link AC2600 (Archer A10) uses the Qualcomm IPQ8064 chip
- Amped Wireless RTA2600 (original version) also uses the Qualcomm IPQ8064 chip
- Amped Wireless RTA2600-R2 (version 2) uses the Mediatek MT7621A chip

A few other routers are also using the Mediatek chip, including the well-reviewed D-Link DIR-882.
Sep 30, 2013
126 posts
130 upvotes
If you're not hard up for a router right now, I'd wait for wifi 6 devices to start coming out. That will drive these models into clearence pricing.

Aside from reviews I always check a manufacturer site for firmware (aka software) updates. I didn't see much for amped, they might only offer patching through the interface but that makes me uncomfortable.

I've also seen D-Link in store for fair pricing. D-Link has made many junkers and some good ones but the point being they've been around. They typically do Costco specific SKUs that bump up a few components
[OP]
Feb 21, 2011
44 posts
34 upvotes
Canada
@unusual Thanks for your feedback. I checked the Amped Wireless website and there is only one firmware available for download, and it is from 2016!

There might be other newer firmware available for download from the router's web interface, but I wouldn't bet on it...

I'm itching for a new router now as mine is very old, but I can wait a bit. Primus is going to ship me their newer modem-router combo, the SmartRG 516ac soon, so maybe I'll try to survive on that ISP-provided router until I can find a good deal on a router.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2719 posts
3112 upvotes
anyone can advice me on what I should get to get connection in my back yard I don't want to move the bell router.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3500 posts
611 upvotes
Kingston
unusual wrote: If you're not hard up for a router right now, I'd wait for wifi 6 devices to start coming out. That will drive these models into clearence pricing.

Aside from reviews I always check a manufacturer site for firmware (aka software) updates. I didn't see much for amped, they might only offer patching through the interface but that makes me uncomfortable.

I've also seen D-Link in store for fair pricing. D-Link has made many junkers and some good ones but the point being they've been around. They typically do Costco specific SKUs that bump up a few components
Wifi 6 is going to take years before it becomes the new normal. Even if nikotine waits until it comes out, he would also have to upgrade all his devices to Wifi 6 as well to use that frequency, which is why it will take yrs before Wifi 6 becomes the new normal. Ppl aren't going to be replacing their perfectly usable devices just for the new frequency. By the time it becomes the new normal, it will probably be on Gen/Version 2 or 3. So investing in a Wifi 6 router makes no sense right now unless you have Wifi 6 devices to actually be able to use it.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1220 posts
900 upvotes
HAMILTON
Anybody seen this in store ?

TP link CA2300 just went down..... and I am for sure looking for usb ports on router
Sep 30, 2013
126 posts
130 upvotes
kcorscadden wrote: Wifi 6 is going to take years before it becomes the new normal. Even if nikotine waits until it comes out, he would also have to upgrade all his devices to Wifi 6 as well to use that frequency, which is why it will take yrs before Wifi 6 becomes the new normal. Ppl aren't going to be replacing their perfectly usable devices just for the new frequency. By the time it becomes the new normal, it will probably be on Gen/Version 2 or 3. So investing in a Wifi 6 router makes no sense right now unless you have Wifi 6 devices to actually be able to use it.
I didn't say buy wifi 6, I said wait for the models to start coming out. If it wasn't for covid we'd probably be in that situation right now. A new standard will cause existing models to go on clearance pricing. You'll have lots of choices.
Nov 21, 2010
422 posts
231 upvotes
Surrey
unusual wrote: I didn't say buy wifi 6, I said wait for the models to start coming out. If it wasn't for covid we'd probably be in that situation right now. A new standard will cause existing models to go on clearance pricing. You'll have lots of choices.
Also, how often do most people upgrade their wifi gears? It’s best to hold a little while unless you actually need something today, because chances are, if the hear is any decent, you’re gonna be using it for a while.
Sep 30, 2013
126 posts
130 upvotes
waven101 wrote: anyone can advice me on what I should get to get connection in my back yard I don't want to move the bell router.
Range is tricky. Your most likely going to need to run a cable from the modem to a better location.

Your best bet will probably be to invest in a mesh system. This will allow you to add a few devices to boost coverage. Mesh works far better then the generic signal boosters.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2719 posts
3112 upvotes
unusual wrote: Range is tricky. Your most likely going to need to run a cable from the modem to a better location.

Your best bet will probably be to invest in a mesh system. This will allow you to add a few devices to boost coverage. Mesh works far better then the generic signal boosters.
do you have a mesh system to recommend?
Sep 13, 2011
791 posts
454 upvotes
Québec
unusual wrote: I didn't say buy wifi 6, I said wait for the models to start coming out. If it wasn't for covid we'd probably be in that situation right now. A new standard will cause existing models to go on clearance pricing. You'll have lots of choices.
WIFI6 is based on 802.11ax, the router are already avaiable.
for example a cheap one:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/d- ... 0/14399232