• Nov 25th, 2020 7:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2009
1020 posts
3542 upvotes
Van Isle

[Costco] Ancona Stainless Range Hood 30" 420cfm LED lighting $299

Nice discount on this range hood. Possible price beat at home depot which has it at $459. I picked one up to replace an old white Broan that sounds like pontiac sunfire when its running (I own one of those too)

price beat? https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ancona ... lsrc=aw.ds
inappropriate signature
14 replies
Jan 2, 2009
155 posts
41 upvotes
Vancouver
I'd be weary of this brand. Mine died after about 3 years. Replaced it with a whirlpool and so far so good.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7909 posts
1576 upvotes
A bit on the weak side at 420CFM. Better than you builder crap @ 200CFM. But if im upgrading, i'd get something at least 600CFM. I stir-fry a lot, so 600 minimum. Forget about this if you have a gas stove.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
14469 posts
3577 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
These are no good... Bought a Atzeni range hood that is twice as powerful and should be just as quiet.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2009
1020 posts
3542 upvotes
Van Isle
geokilla wrote: These are no good... Bought a Atzeni range hood that is twice as powerful and should be just as quiet.
Thx for the tip. I checked them out and yeah...def a higher quality item for sure. A bit more than I want to spend unfortunately.
inappropriate signature
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1366 posts
3796 upvotes
Calgary, AB
External Ventilation Only - for those like me that require internal recirculation.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1570 posts
577 upvotes
Calgary
EPcjay wrote: Forget about this if you have a gas stove.
Noob here, can you elaborate why? Not enough CFM?
May 4, 2006
541 posts
238 upvotes
Mississauga
blind56 wrote: Noob here, can you elaborate why? Not enough CFM?
With a gas range, the rule of thumb usually is add up the BTUs of your burner, divide by 100 to get the approx CFM. Example, 50,000 BTU, you need around a 500CFM fan. In our family, we rarely have 2 stoves on at a time, actually thinking about it, dont think we have ever had all 5 burners on at the same time, at most 3.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2005
2601 posts
1226 upvotes
Surrey
this same one I bought for $89 instore
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2821 posts
2133 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Captainsave26 wrote: I'd be weary of this brand. Mine died after about 3 years. Replaced it with a whirlpool and so far so good.
By weary do you actually mean weary (as in tired), or are you trying to combine wary and leery?
How long ago did you install the Whirlpool? Significantly longer than three years ago since you're implying it's an improvement, right?
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1588 posts
694 upvotes
YMMV I guess, but I've had an Ancona that looks very similar to this one for a few years. We use it often, and it hasn't had any problems at all. It moves enough air that you have to crack a window somewhere in the house for it to be effective.

My only complaint is that it's pretty loud on the highest setting.
Jul 29, 2006
99 posts
98 upvotes
Ottawa
zero64 wrote: YMMV I guess, but I've had an Ancona that looks very similar to this one for a few years. We use it often, and it hasn't had any problems at all. It moves enough air that you have to crack a window somewhere in the house for it to be effective.

My only complaint is that it's pretty loud on the highest setting.
Same. High speed is noisy but effective. Especially searing meat or have a lot of stuff on boil. Works best when I also crack the kitchen window. Big upgrade from the LG over the stove microwave fan it replaced. More steam and smoke flowed around the fan than through it.