• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2021 4:31 pm
[OP]
Aug 10, 2009
222 posts
114 upvotes
Nation's Capital

[Costco] Anova sous vide kit - $199.97

Saw the Anova sous vide kit on clearance at Costco for $199.97.
Images
  • 3D21D2A4-1695-4FB1-99FE-C5E75403FF7B.jpeg
Thread Summary
See how the Anova compares to others in RFD Reviews' top picks for the best sous-vide machines!
85 replies
Dec 1, 2010
194 posts
133 upvotes
Windsor
Besides the container, any idea how this compares to the Weston sous vide they carry for $59?
Jul 29, 2016
262 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
socioguru wrote: Besides the container, any idea how this compares to the Weston sous vide they carry for $59?
$140 less plus change.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5063 posts
2866 upvotes
Toronto
I didn't realize that Costco sold Anova.
Does anyone know if this kit was sold in GTA, and what reg price was?
Jan 31, 2008
67 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Smartphone control, heats up quicker and the container and rack with lid are $110 on Amazon
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3655 posts
311 upvotes
I have a Bluetooth and a wifi version.

I can't tell what version this is.

The wifi was very handy as you could put the frozen meat in the water in the morning then turn on the sous vide while at work so it's ready when you come home rather than cooking it all day.

Really came in handy.

The container is all about the heat retention and if the container losses the heat then it's just on for more time.
Jun 18, 2016
549 posts
1568 upvotes
The Anova is only $100 so you’re telling me the container is worth another $100?

Just get a Rubbermaid 12qt...
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1740 posts
919 upvotes
Edmonton
socioguru wrote: Besides the container, any idea how this compares to the Weston sous vide they carry for $59?
Was at my local Costco yesterday and they had a cart with these Westons for $39. Original $98 price marked out. I grabbed one cause price was good. No idea if I'll use as I use my Instapot/Air Fyer more.
Feb 20, 2019
139 posts
214 upvotes
Montreal
Moose... not sure where or when you saw an Anova at 99$. Even the Nano model is regular priced at over 150$.

I think Anova are pretty expensive compared to a few years back, but that precision cooker model is over 200$ on its own now So this is a good deal IF you really want an Anova.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5063 posts
2866 upvotes
Toronto
MooseV2 wrote: The Anova is only $100 so you’re telling me the container is worth another $100?

Just get a Rubbermaid 12qt...
WTF you talking about?
My assumption is this is the Precision Cooker, which goes for $269 when not on sale.
Ridiculous that the container is $110 on their site.
Jan 25, 2016
431 posts
550 upvotes
Toronto
At the end of the day, it’s a device to keep constant temperature and water circulating. I have the Anova with the Bluetooth/WiFi. If that isn’t a big deal to you, get the lower priced Weston. They all work.
Sep 30, 2019
108 posts
120 upvotes
this is a legit deal. would absolutely buy if i didn't already own one of the earlier models.

the custom-built container is waaaaay better than buying a rubbermaid container and then trying to jury-rig a lid to fit the cooker through. or if you buy the after market lids, then it is an additional cost on top. . .take it from someone who has done this. i currently run my anova with a 22l cambro and a custom cut lid. for the price, i'd rather let anova do it all for me,

as for sous vide, it is a fantastic accessory for the kitchen, especially if you love cooking, and cooking meats in particular. it will elevate the cheapest cuts of beef and make reverse searing child's play. . .
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5063 posts
2866 upvotes
Toronto
I'd snag this deal, if I could. I've long been meaning to get a second device, for meals where I also want to use sous vide to make a side dish.

I've had the Nano for just over two years.
The warranty was for two years, and I had to replace it twice.
Hopefully, now that my warranty is finished, my Nano will keep going.
I went to an Industrial restaurant equipment store and purchased a similar container and lid (which I cut a hole in for the nano). The cutout is completely flush with the device, so very efficient for longer cooks.
Biggest gripe with the Nano, besides having to replace twice, is that the clamp is built into device.
The one sold here is removable.

I made a franken-cooler for super long and big item cooks - was annoying to have to cut out a slot for the clip.
Jun 3, 2007
500 posts
372 upvotes
Toronto
Made my own with "kit" by cutting a hole in a foam cooler. Very little heat loss. I happened to have an old one lying around so it was free, but they don't seem to be quite so expensive (though I'm sure you could get it cheaper). This one's a medium size:
https://www.amazon.ca/Polar-Tech-245C-I ... 65PPBPBHDJ

Edit: here's a better deal - Canadian Tire 38L foam cooler for $15 :
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/styr ... =styrofoam
Last edited by Yzord on Mar 7th, 2021 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7643 posts
3003 upvotes
Cold. I was able to make a similar setup with the $40 Chefman deal + $15 for a Rubbermaid container + $15 for a lid with a hole for the cooker.
Dec 17, 2017
248 posts
180 upvotes
Dumb question, but I putting frozen vacuum sealed raw meat to go at room temp to sit there till you are ready is not the best idea

From FDA

No. The removal of oxygen from a food package does not eliminate microbial growth. Perishable (whether it is raw or cooked) meats and poultry in vacuum packaging cannot be stored at room temperature. They must be kept either in the refrigerator at 40 ºF or below, or for longer storage, in the freezer at 0 °F or below.
Electricute wrote: I have a Bluetooth and a wifi version.

I can't tell what version this is.

The wifi was very handy as you could put the frozen meat in the water in the morning then turn on the sous vide while at work so it's ready when you come home rather than cooking it all day.

Really came in handy.

The container is all about the heat retention and if the container losses the heat then it's just on for more time.
Nov 8, 2007
582 posts
248 upvotes
Have older Anova from a while back. I use it sparingly for special events or when I have a special ingredient. With so many new machines I'd suggest going the cheap route unless there's a feature you really need particular to the Anova, though not sure what that would be.
When I saw the price of custom lids and containers I just went with a Rubbermaid and cut a hole with a Dremel. It isn't perfectly flush, but it works just fine for less than half the cost. You could even buy a Weston cooker, container, lid and Dremel for less than this combo.
Aug 11, 2012
647 posts
206 upvotes
aphextwin wrote: Dumb question, but I putting frozen vacuum sealed raw meat to go at room temp to sit there till you are ready is not the best idea

From FDA

No. The removal of oxygen from a food package does not eliminate microbial growth. Perishable (whether it is raw or cooked) meats and poultry in vacuum packaging cannot be stored at room temperature. They must be kept either in the refrigerator at 40 ºF or below, or for longer storage, in the freezer at 0 °F or below.
you could put a few trays of ice cubes in the container, as long as the ice lasts enough of the day and there is some water touching the circulator when it turns on
Nov 2, 2008
15 posts
2 upvotes
Westbank
aphextwin wrote: Dumb question, but I putting frozen vacuum sealed raw meat to go at room temp to sit there till you are ready is not the best idea

From FDA

Well for one, that’s not a question, you are stating your opinion. For another, no one was “storing at room temperature”. They were putting it in the container FROZEN so it would take around 6 hours to finally reach room temperature. Since it usually takes a few hours to sous vide, they will be starting to cook it as it reaches room temperature. Sounds like a perfect way to do it to me.
Last edited by idontpayretail on Mar 7th, 2021 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)