Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Anova sous vide kit - $199.97

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2021 4:31 pm
Mar 15, 2005
869 posts
819 upvotes
Longshot49 wrote: Step 1 : Frozen Meat
Step 2 : Ice cube(s)
Step 3 : Go to work
Step 4 : Remotely monitor the bath temp with the App
Step 5 : Turn on when temp is over 4 ish oC
Step 6 : Delicious steak

I have done this a few time. The first time I checked pretty much every hour(?) at work. I think the only went over 4 oC around 2 or 3pm. By that time, it's already "cook" time.
I've done this several times (tho haven't had the need lately)

For those who are concerned, your fridge keeps around 4c.

This experiment showed half ice, half water will easily get you 8 hours under 4c, and 13-14 hours if you wrap in a towel.

https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/inf ... -food-safe

ANOVA also had a ice bath feature in the wifi unit that will kick in and start the cook automatically once the temp reaches higher than 4.4c
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2010
1358 posts
1000 upvotes
Richmond Hill
markopas wrote: I was thinking that as well but could also just cross the bridge into Montreal.
If it was in Quebec, I would expect the sign to be in French.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2010
1358 posts
1000 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I have been using the Anova Sous Vide stick from when they first opened their Canadian warehouse. They were not cheap at that time, but I got a sale price so it helped. Still...nothing close to the $50 for the cheap ones now.

I understand it is all about keeping the water temperature constant...and the mechanism is probably the same --- at least theoretically --- for all of these units.

So how is the build quality of the cheap units? My current Anova ones are quite a few years old now...but they still work.

I think I need to check the temperature that it is maintaining, because I think the sensor is off a little bit...but that is easily done with a thermometer...but if mine ever dies, other than BT / WiFi functionality, which I don't use, what am I going to miss? Will the cheap ones break / die in a year or two?
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
3945 posts
2933 upvotes
Markham
Have the Weston one, used it a few times and temp on display maintain within 2deg so it looks good so far. Have done pull pork, chicken, salmon and steak. All not too shabby but a torch gun is a MUST.

Weston $59
Pro: cant beat the price and if anything goes wrong, takes it back to Costco
Con: The timer setting is a pain in the butt to use. Not intuitive at all. Also u expect set timer means it stops at the end, but it doesnt. It beeps to let u know but then keeps going indefinitely until u intervene... Dumbest setup I ever saw.

Also the Weston is quite a bit bigger than the Anova, esp when compare to the nano is my understanding.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
3158 posts
6406 upvotes
Having owned a couple immersion circulators, I can honestly tell you that if you don't care about wifi/bluetooth etc, just buy the least expensive one you can with reasonable warranty/ support.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2014
1781 posts
2401 upvotes
GPS - error
vanpatrick81 wrote: And meanwhile in South East Asia, cooked food (not saying all as there are dishes that spoils faster) is sometimes left on top of dining table (covered with lid) after lunch til mid day for anyone who wants a quick afternoon snack. And no one died or got sick.
Nobody died that we know of ...

It's also a warmer climate :)
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2014
1781 posts
2401 upvotes
GPS - error
So what's wrong with just attaching it to the side of a big steel pot instead of the glass container ?
Sep 13, 2014
183 posts
421 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
escape1975 wrote: So what's wrong with just attaching it to the side of a big steel pot instead of the glass container ?
Nothing wrong with doing that and I have been doing it for years. However a rectangle container lets the food fit better just because of the geometry. An example would be a couple big steaks or a rack of ribs. In a pot that is round they are hard to fit, meanwhile a rectangle container makes it much easier.
I have used coolers before for briskets and when doing several racks of ribs.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
3158 posts
6406 upvotes
vanpatrick81 wrote: And meanwhile in South East Asia, cooked food (not saying all as there are dishes that spoils faster) is sometimes left on top of dining table (covered with lid) after lunch til mid day for anyone who wants a quick afternoon snack. And no one died or got sick.
Statistics on infant mortality rates would like a word with you.

*I get that you can’t attribute improper food storage solely to infant deaths, but it sure as heck wouldn’t help*
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
2189 posts
61 upvotes
Calgary
savemoresaveoften wrote: Have the Weston one, used it a few times and temp on display maintain within 2deg so it looks good so far. Have done pull pork, chicken, salmon and steak. All not too shabby but a torch gun is a MUST.

Weston $59
Pro: cant beat the price and if anything goes wrong, takes it back to Costco
Con: The timer setting is a pain in the butt to use. Not intuitive at all. Also u expect set timer means it stops at the end, but it doesnt. It beeps to let u know but then keeps going indefinitely until u intervene... Dumbest setup I ever saw.

Also the Weston is quite a bit bigger than the Anova, esp when compare to the nano is my understanding.
Where can I get the weston for $59?
MY HEATWARE - Available upon request
MY EBAY - Available upon request
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4989 posts
29911 upvotes
kaddy69 wrote: Where can I get the weston for $59?
Costco
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2014
1781 posts
2401 upvotes
GPS - error

That would work quite good I would say :)
Sep 30, 2019
213 posts
261 upvotes
just want to point out a few ideas that i don't think have been mentioned--

--the fitted lid is kinda important if you have longer cooks, as the evaporative loss will matter if you have a fair amount in the cooking vessel, and adding in more water mid-cook could skew your times.

--using a non-heat conductive material for the vessel also matters for efficiency and energy use. absolutely you could use a good 'ol stock pot, but there's more conductivity and heat loss.

--the polycarbonate/'plastic' material is transparent, which allows you to observe your cook. this might not matter to you depending on what you're cooking, but then again it might.

. . .an additional .02 cents fwiw
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2009
1338 posts
1205 upvotes
Calgary
Is this another one of those Ontario only deals?

I'm starting to think that Costco thinks Ontario is Canada.
no sig
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10166 posts
8292 upvotes
Toronto
ben35 wrote: Is this another one of those Ontario only deals?

I'm starting to think that Costco thinks Ontario is Canada.
Not even Ontario only - possibly Ottawa only.
Hard to tell as OP has not clarified.
This may have been a limited market test run by Anova, to gauge what sales would be like for wider availability?
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10166 posts
8292 upvotes
Toronto
Went to NW Vaughan Costco (GTA), and ended up buying a couple of the Weston Sous Vide devices. Clearance price has dropped further to $39.97. Only about 15 left as of this afternoon.

I also picked up these Cambro containers (Sold as a pair). Not sure if they would be suitable for Sous Vide - it is meant for food, but nothing on the package indicated suitability for higher temperatures.

"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Jul 13, 2006
476 posts
379 upvotes
Calgary
M@rk wrote: This is a good price if you want an Inova, but I own the original BT Anova and don't think their MSRP is worth it anymore.

There are now tons of cheaper alternatives, all they do is heat water at the end of the day. I've never used the app or BT function. A container is nice, but kind of a pain to store and deal with. Much easier to just use whatever pot you have lying around the kitchen. You lose some heat, but it uses a negligible amount of electricity to begin with and the machine never has troubles keeping the temperature stable.
I never used the BT function until the temperature control wheel was not working. The BT came in very handy :-) BTW, this Anova was bought in Dec 2014. I used it at least once every month. Then the circulator started last month as well, time to get a new one.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)