Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] App Store & iTunes Cards - 14% to 16% off

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2020 1:26 am
Apr 6, 2007
44 posts
10 upvotes
Montreal
I think someone has already mentioned it... if you pay for Netflix and Disney+ via iTunes, Apple will charge both GST and provincial sales taxes. If you pay directly to Netflix or Disney+, you save on the GST

Has anyone done the cost analysis to see which is better (taking into account the Costco sale price for iTunes GCs?
Penalty Box
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1846 upvotes
Ajax
They might be $79.99 for one weekend only around Black Friday. Happened last year.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
3588 posts
1459 upvotes
Grimsby
I usually top up $200 every 3-4 months when these are on sale from Costco. Gone are the good old days of $79.99 for a clean 20% off.

For those asking what people are using these for, I know myself I pay $15+HST/month for Apple Music, $14+HST/month for iCloud storage and $6/month for Apple Arcade. And then of course any app purchases or such. This has all been for family use. The one main downside (unless its changed very recently), with the family setup, other members still use the credit card on file for app purchases, even if you have iTunes/App Store credit on the main account.

Also heads up - this might work nicely for those who use multiple services (whenever it launches): https://www.apple.com/ca/apple-one/
rlongo12 wrote: I think someone has already mentioned it... if you pay for Netflix and Disney+ via iTunes, Apple will charge both GST and provincial sales taxes. If you pay directly to Netflix or Disney+, you save on the GST

Has anyone done the cost analysis to see which is better (taking into account the Costco sale price for iTunes GCs?
Good question.

Disney+ annual is $90+HST via iTunes ($101.70). If you have the $200 credit via $168 gift card from Costco, then you’re paying 84%, so that $101.70 cost you $85.43. So you save about $4.50 this way.
Sep 10, 2009
454 posts
260 upvotes
What are some good paid apps? I have a few that I wanna get like the Affinity stuff, and Luma fusion but otherwise, I don’t know what else is worth it to get. I guess games but I can get it on Switch usually (or I have it on my Android phone).

I was having a hard time trying to justify buying the $200 card but couldn’t think of any apps.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3044 posts
1653 upvotes
Toronto
Just bought 2x200 for upcoming apple one subscription. Thanks OP
Dec 29, 2013
147 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto
FYI: Limit of 5 at Vaughan Location
Feb 12, 2008
39 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
AstonM wrote: Just bought 2x200 for upcoming apple one subscription. Thanks OP
Completely agree. Will be doing the exact same thing
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
3588 posts
1459 upvotes
Grimsby
gbill2004 wrote: Has this deal now expired?
I believe it ended yesterday (on the 18th).
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19223 posts
1709 upvotes
These can still be used to pay for Disney+ I believe ?
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Mar 30, 2009
892 posts
369 upvotes
joey003 wrote: The one main downside (unless its changed very recently), with the family setup, other members still use the credit card on file for app purchases, even if you have iTunes/App Store credit on the main account.
This has definitely not changed. I just got billed on my credit card yesterday for an app my son bought. They really do need to fix this.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6067 posts
2426 upvotes
Canuckland
brunes wrote: These can still be used to pay for Disney+ I believe ?
You’re better off paying it with credit card since they do charge tax making using gift cards nil
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9647 posts
11369 upvotes
Vancouver
frugal1 wrote: This has definitely not changed. I just got billed on my credit card yesterday for an app my son bought. They really do need to fix this.
Apple considers this “not broken”, but working as expected/designed. Sucks. Family members need to have their own iTunes credits, they can’t use yours. But they can use your credit card.