245 upvotes
Toronto

[Costco] Apple Homepod $299.97 warm

Homepods on clearance
Costco warranty is a bonus

42 Overlea Blvd
Images
  • A461D33B-01F4-4D0A-BA1F-620B8CEE6A03.jpeg
Last edited by itoothache on Oct 1st, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
64 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2011
1162 posts
958 upvotes
SURREY
I'm fully bought into the Apple ecosystem and I still can't see a reason to buy this over a high-end bluetooth speaker.
If it’s not at least 50% off is it really a deal?
Sep 1, 2018
96 posts
102 upvotes
I remember there were tons of ‘reviews’ saying this was the best sounding wireless speaker at a similar price range at launch. I bought one and couldn’t be more disappointed. It’s just another base bumming speaker. And Siri was stupid as always.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3250 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
wilsonlam97 wrote: Mhmm... this or two Sonos Play:1?
Sonos will give you way more flexibility for the future...I love my apple devices, but this one is too niche for me. Would recommend getting one that is airplay 2 compatible though (Play One) - likely to be some deals on BF.
Jun 4, 2005
282 posts
281 upvotes
Apple is so dumb. Make less expensive variants a la iPhone XR or blow these out at fire sale prices, ensnare even more people into the ecosystem, get more devs onboard with a larger install base, and make all the money back (and more) through services. Otherwise, flop hard against cut-throat competition. HomePod is never going to happen at $300.

Let's be honest... Siri is Alexa + Google Assistant's special needs sister when it comes to home automation and voice control, yet we outfitted an entire condo with competent, full size Echos and Google Homes on sale, for less than the price of one HomePod "on clearance." A HomePod doesn't sound exponentially better than a day one Echo, let alone the latest models.

This is coming from an iPhone, Airpods 2 and Apple Watch Series 4 owner, so I'm by no means an Apple h8r. HomePod seems to lack value and compelling reasons to dominate already crowded living spaces.
Last edited by Naruto on Oct 1st, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Oct 31, 2010
68 posts
19 upvotes
Victoria
Might jump on this if it becomes available near me, or online. I'm sure this will be a BF deal at a lot of places this year. Thanks OP!
Mar 7, 2008
721 posts
190 upvotes
Leask
A Sono sound bar cost around $499 +

I much rather have the HomePod for movies than sono at $299
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16241 posts
7943 upvotes
Ottawa
Seems to be MIA at my local Costco (Kanata)
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Sep 1, 2018
96 posts
102 upvotes
THINKPOD wrote: A Sono sound bar cost around $499 +

I much rather have the HomePod for movies than sono at $299

It would be a terrible choice for movies.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4944 posts
1548 upvotes
Google Home Max is better

And I say that as an iPhone 11, MBP, Apple Watch S5, Airpods, and iPad owner, many times over.
Let's hug it out
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16241 posts
7943 upvotes
Ottawa
Naruto wrote: This is coming from an iPhone, Airpods 2 and Apple Watch Series 4 owner, so I'm by no means an Apple h8r. HomePod seems to lack value and compelling reasons to dominate already crowded living spaces.
Apple overestimated people's appreciation of sound quality. For every person who values sound quality like me, there are probably dozens of people who aren't half as picky. Amazon and Google did it right, it's a land grab when it comes to assistants.

If the device actually integrated well into people's lives outside of Apple ecosystem, it would have been a winner, but the device is completely gimped. BT chip but you can't pair with other BT devices. Siri is still a joke.

It's too little functionality, too late.

We have almost all of the other Apple form factors (phones, iMac, Macbooks, tablets, watch)….but this is one we never saw the value of
Last edited by warpdrive on Oct 1st, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4690 posts
1323 upvotes
How come every single thread in Hot Deals, regardless of what product/service it is, has more comments trashing on the product/service than actually talking about the deal?

RFD has gotten incredibly negative over the years.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16241 posts
7943 upvotes
Ottawa
I think the deal is fine if this device suits your needs. Not as cheap as the best deals in the US ($199), but getting close.

I would have bought one to try out, just because I wanted to pit it against the other smart speaker I have....because I tend to collect speakers. I checked the two closest Costcos and I swear they had them but I didn't see any stock cards.
Last edited by warpdrive on Oct 1st, 2019 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
4466 posts
4759 upvotes
Alberta
Mulder and Scully wrote: How come every single thread in Hot Deals, regardless of what product/service it is, has more comments trashing on the product/service than actually talking about the deal?

Because society loves to pass judgement now... I don't get it either. Don't like it, don't participate.
Sep 2, 2018
195 posts
119 upvotes
Naruto wrote: Apple is so dumb. Make less expensive variants a la iPhone XR or blow these out at fire sale prices, ensnare even more people into the ecosystem, get more devs onboard with a larger install base, and make all the money back (and more) through services. Otherwise, flop hard against cut-throat competition. HomePod is never going to happen at $300.

Let's be honest... Siri is Alexa + Google Assistant's special needs sister when it comes to home automation and voice control, yet we outfitted an entire condo with competent, full size Echos and Google Homes on sale, for less than the price of one HomePod "on clearance." A HomePod doesn't sound exponentially better than a day one Echo, let alone the latest models.

This is coming from an iPhone, Airpods 2 and Apple Watch Series 4 owner, so I'm by no means an Apple h8r. HomePod seems to lack value and compelling reasons to dominate already crowded living spaces.
I agree that Siri could be dumb as compared to other assistants, but as a stand-alone speaker it’s really way better than any of the echo Devices. That’s the reason amazon is coming up with echo studio. But at $299 HomePod is still expensive.
[OP]
May 13, 2012
635 posts
245 upvotes
Toronto
Mulder and Scully wrote: How come every single thread in Hot Deals, regardless of what product/service it is, has more comments trashing on the product/service than actually talking about the deal?

Very true
anyways, i knew there will be hate (it's apple) so i thought about just ignoring it but i knew some may be looking for it and wanted rfd'ers to grab before others.