Apple HomePod Space Grey - $350

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2021 9:49 am
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3461 posts
2716 upvotes
GTA
Smart functionality aside, this particular model Homepod really does sound amazing. Even better if you have two in stereo mode.
May 12, 2020
13 posts
7 upvotes
I’m in the market for a good set of speakers for music. How does this compare to the Sonos One SL? Would you recommend the homepod over the sonos?
PS - deep into the Apple ecosystem :)
Dec 29, 2017
735 posts
757 upvotes
N8Magic wrote: Smart functionality aside, this particular model Homepod really does sound amazing. Even better if you have two in stereo mode.
Worth $790.98 CDN though? These were $200 US at Best Buy (US). I don’t think the Atmos would be a big deal as there’s no upward firing speakers. 111 remaining
Sep 25, 2012
70 posts
109 upvotes
I might recommend just getting Sonos Ones over this. They're about $100 cheaper (costco carries a two pack microphoneless https://www.costco.ca/sonos-one-sl-wi-f ... 35759.html for $470). Or if you want the assistant features you could get two from bestbuy for $540.

You'll get better compatibility across iphone or android and you can choose your smart assistant (Alexa or Google). These will also act as AppleTV airplay output speakers (I currently have them for this purpose and they sound great). No Atmos but Atmos is kind've wasted on small outward firing speakers anyway. If you want Atmos you can add a Sonos Arc soundbar which has proper upward firing speakers and Sonos Ones become your rear left/right combo for surround sound.

Also, many Shoppers Drug Marts carry the Ones so you can redeem your points or score a big point earn if you're just buying them outright.
Jul 29, 2019
13 posts
77 upvotes
This is very tempting. A new OG HomePod + Costco warranty? Peace of mind purchase if anything goes wrong.

I might just pick one up and sell my old one on Marketplace.
Sep 25, 2012
70 posts
109 upvotes
DealTherapy wrote: I’m in the market for a good set of speakers for music. How does this compare to the Sonos One SL? Would you recommend the homepod over the sonos?
Just a heads up, "SL" mean no microphones, so if you want voice assistants (Google or Alexa) you'll want the regular Sonos One. Check my previous post in this thread for full details but as an owner of 4 One's (2 Living Room, 1 Dining Room, 1 Kitchen) I can't speak highly enough of the Sonos system. You also have upgrade options within the ecosystem (soundbars, subwoofers, in-wall, in-ceiling, outdoor) whereas the homepod system pretty much limits you to pods.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2002
3412 posts
821 upvotes
milhaus wrote: I’m an all Apple guy, but they should fire the entire Siri team and start fresh. They can’t even get the devices the properly choose the nearest speaker to respond to you. However, the original HomePod sounds fantastic, better I think than any other single smart speaker.
To be fair, I have the same issues with Google. Have one in the kitchen and one in the foyer. Somehow the foyer one will respond to me 5% of the time when I’m within 4 feet of the one in the kitchen.
Jan 2, 2010
490 posts
171 upvotes
Got one. Thanks OP. Too bad anytime an apple deal gets posted, it always gets downvoted so much. I wish people had better things to do with their life.
Jun 10, 2002
209 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
danielr85 wrote: This is being discontinued by Apple for a good reason. Go for the HomePod mini for $129.
Have both, the mini sounds pretty good, this original one sounds really nice.
Jun 10, 2002
209 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
mattcoady wrote: I might recommend just getting Sonos Ones over this. They're about $100 cheaper (costco carries a two pack microphoneless https://www.costco.ca/sonos-one-sl-wi-f ... 35759.html for $470). Or if you want the assistant features you could get two from bestbuy for $540.

You'll get better compatibility across iphone or android and you can choose your smart assistant (Alexa or Google). These will also act as AppleTV airplay output speakers (I currently have them for this purpose and they sound great). No Atmos but Atmos is kind've wasted on small outward firing speakers anyway. If you want Atmos you can add a Sonos Arc soundbar which has proper upward firing speakers and Sonos Ones become your rear left/right combo for surround sound.

Also, many Shoppers Drug Marts carry the Ones so you can redeem your points or score a big point earn if you're just buying them outright.
I have two Sonos Ones for my Arc HT system, but the Sonos Ones do not sound as nice as the original homepods.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
1473 posts
1159 upvotes
Its a cool product and all, amazing sound for the size. But I have no need for this, I would be fine with bigger speakers for cheaper. Like someone else mentioned, the sonos are comparable but not quite so over engineered and small. Apple sometimes does this (not often, but it happens), they over engineer something like even a stand and consumers have no idea why they need such a product when they are happy with something much simpler.
Last edited by Kevcorm on Oct 20th, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sep 25, 2012
70 posts
109 upvotes
rebe1 wrote: I have two Sonos Ones for my Arc HT system, but the Sonos Ones do not sound as nice as the original homepods.
Yea that's the Homepods one key advantage is the better sound. For me anyway, having the upgrade path with all the other Sonos hardware made the Ones a much better option. You can also go with Fives if you wanna blow both the Ones and the Homepods out of the water Face With Tears Of Joy
Apr 5, 2018
64 posts
15 upvotes
OP, thank you, just recently was regretting not getting one last December with gift card deal, Homepod Mini has too shitty sound while wifey wants Siri so Sonos or alike won't work.
Don't get why downvotes as well.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
1473 posts
1159 upvotes
pJohannson wrote: OP, thank you, just recently was regretting not getting one last December with gift card deal, Homepod Mini has too shitty sound while wifey wants Siri so Sonos or alike won't work.
Don't get why downvotes as well.
Its because of certain marketing attacking apple and their customers. Its crazy how effective it can be.
Jun 2, 2017
316 posts
192 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
mastaXPhant0m wrote: how do you know the quantity :o
Costo has this weird trick where you can input 999 and click ‘add to cart’ and it’ll show you how many remaining units left.
IT guy | dad | sneakerhead | everything Apple | AV enthusiast | 5.2.4 Home Theatre
Jul 12, 2018
86 posts
186 upvotes
DealTherapy wrote: I’m in the market for a good set of speakers for music. How does this compare to the Sonos One SL? Would you recommend the homepod over the sonos?
If you're deep enough in the ecosystem to have an Apple Music subscription, the HomePod is an impressive product when used as a stereo pair.

The sound quality is very different when used in pairs (it's way flatter/worse a a single unit).

SONOS ONE is a fine product as a member of the larger Sonos system, but it just doesn't sound as good as a pair of HomePods, period. It's more compatible, it works with more music sources, sure but the sound quality difference is massive.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1294 posts
630 upvotes
How good is the sound quality? Any comparison? Like the google max ?
Aug 13, 2020
513 posts
1688 upvotes
Thanks OP. funny how every apple, nespresso and lululemon deal is downvoted, really shows you the user base of RFD
Jun 10, 2002
209 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
I only have one Play Five that I paired up with a speaker for my record player. Wishing I could've just used my Homepods to spare the expense. That was expensive too, but I am looking for a deal to get a second Play Five to make it stereo :(
mattcoady wrote: Yea that's the Homepods one key advantage is the better sound. For me anyway, having the upgrade path with all the other Sonos hardware made the Ones a much better option. You can also go with Fives if you wanna blow both the Ones and the Homepods out of the water Face With Tears Of Joy
Mar 8, 2008
396 posts
528 upvotes
gatineau
I've been enjoying Sonos since 2012. HomePod looked ok, but it reminded me too much of that WONDERFUL iPod HiFi system.

I bought one, used it all the time. It sounded great, worked great, looked great, and then....

they abandoned it the following year. Original HomePod has been abandoned since March.

I'm still not convinced they are as dedicated to a speaker system as Sonos is.
IPod_Hi-Fi.jpg

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)