• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2020 1:58 pm
[OP]
Aug 23, 2008
109 posts
59 upvotes

[Costco] Apple Watch series 5 $468.99 - $508.99

Hello:

Much the same deal as Sport Check but with Costco.

40mm @ $468.99 (51 off)
44mm @ 508.99 (47 off) ?

The apple care is only $59.xx as well. Probably have to buy at same time of purchase.

I bought the series 4 cellular from staples deal but, really am debating if I should go with always on display. The cellular function is what I want most so if I go for a run and something happens I don’t need a heavy phone everywhere I go.

Cheers everyone.
Images
  • 8F900914-2A4F-49F5-A08C-3BC2930C01C0.png
Last edited by TomRFD on May 8th, 2020 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
45 replies
Dec 29, 2017
521 posts
444 upvotes
Wait for the 6 this fall if you can, it will finally have sleep tracking
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3288 posts
2099 upvotes
GTA
davidslegend wrote: Hello:

Much the same deal as Sport Check but with Costco.

40mm @ $468.99 (51 off)
44mm @ 508.99 (47 off) ?

The apple care is only $59.xx as well. Probably have to buy at same time of purchase.

I bought the series 4 cellular from staples deal but, really am debating if I should go with always on display. The cellular function is what I want most so if I go for a run and something happens I don’t need a heavy phone everywhere I go.

Cheers everyone.
Cellular >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AOD

Having connectivity without your phone present definitely outweighs the convenience aspect of an AOD, for me anyway. IMO, AOD does very little aside from chewing through battery.
Jun 17, 2006
404 posts
183 upvotes
N8Magic wrote: Cellular >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AOD

Having connectivity without your phone present definitely outweighs the convenience aspect of an AOD, for me anyway. IMO, AOD does very little aside from chewing through battery.
I really wish there were a way for a cellular Apple watch to work without requiring a compatible carrier & sharable data plan...
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
13762 posts
5376 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sickens wrote: I really wish there were a way for a cellular Apple watch to work without requiring a compatible carrier & sharable data plan...
I had the $10 watch plan on my Rogers account but after awhile I found that it wasn't worth the extra $10/mo. for the infrequent times when I was away from my phone. Rogers should bundle the watch share plan into their iPhone value pack to at least justify the $7/mo. extra for the value pack that is needed for visual voicemail.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2008
109 posts
59 upvotes
sickens wrote: I really wish there were a way for a cellular Apple watch to work without requiring a compatible carrier & sharable data plan...
Me too. Apple didn’t want to cannibalise the iPhone sales. It’s obviously in the technical skills to build one.
Feb 1, 2016
12 posts
14 upvotes
Halifax, NS
I think battery life is still constraining it as a standalone ESim device. It’s supposed to be tethered majority of the time for good user experience.
Jan 30, 2006
533 posts
137 upvotes
Richmond Hill, Toron…
I was also looking into this deal but thinking maybe I should wait until the 6 coming out then decide which one to go .
Deal Fanatic
May 15, 2016
6765 posts
2335 upvotes
ODoyleRulz wrote: Wait for the 6 this fall if you can, it will finally have sleep tracking
What's wrong with using a sleep tracking app?
Aug 23, 2011
570 posts
65 upvotes
WINNIPEG
N8Magic wrote: Cellular >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AOD

Different strokes for different folks. I appreciate not having to tap all the time for a quick glance of the time.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
2884 posts
1384 upvotes
ODoyleRulz wrote: Wait for the 6 this fall if you can, it will finally have sleep tracking
Is there any reason why sleep tracking would be hardware limited, versus software?
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4129 posts
1505 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
I’m also trying to understand what the hardware addition of sleep tracking is. I use the app “Auto Sleep” on my Series 1 and as far as I can tell it is pretty accurate. Of course I don’t know if the deep sleep, REM stuff is bang on or not but I’m confident the time asleep is pretty accurate. When I look at the logs and it shows any awake times it is pretty accurate as I often check the time when I wake in the night which leads to me knowing the logs are accurate.
Dec 29, 2010
204 posts
246 upvotes
Laval
Since the watch needs to charge overnight, how would sleep tracking work? I’m just curious in case you have an idea.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14782 posts
6025 upvotes
Ottawa
Cellular is cool but unless you really need to go phoneless while exercising and do it often, it’s hard to justify the cost of the plan. The number of times I leave the house without my phone is zero. Usually the phone can be kept close enough for bt range. The range is very good for that.

AOD on the other hand is a feature which I appreciate every single day
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4129 posts
1505 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
bigjzus wrote: Since the watch needs to charge overnight, how would sleep tracking work? I’m just curious in case you have an idea.
Why does it have to charge overnight? You can charge your devices whenever you want to. I charge mine when I get home from work while I shower, have dinner, etc. It only needs like an hour to get a full charge.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14782 posts
6025 upvotes
Ottawa
bigjzus wrote: Since the watch needs to charge overnight, how would sleep tracking work? I’m just curious in case you have an idea.
Chico is right, *if* I wear the watch to sleep and wear it through the day, it uses about 50-ish % power. I usually put it in theater mode before I sleep (so I don't see it glowing at night with the always display) . I usually find sticking it on the charger for 30-60 minutes tops it up. A breakfast+shower or dinner time charge is more than enough to top it up.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Feb 24, 2009
59 posts
12 upvotes
I believe when we read the rumors about the new feautres of the apple watch 6, they also include the new features of the OS.

Like the sleep tracking and the new workout app, I believe those will also be available for apple watch 5 when OS 7 will be available.

Where as the oximeter, that will be a new feature unique to the aw6.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2006
1565 posts
3978 upvotes
Does the Apple watch have a fitness tracking app built in (or free) that has a mapping feature like the Fitbit app does? The Fitbit app gives you a rundown of your workout (run, walk, cycling, etc) with a map of the route you took, time, distance, speed, heart rate, calories burned, etc. I know 3rd party apps like MapMyRide/Run and Strava do all that but you have to pay extra to get all the extra data like heart rate.