Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Arc'teryx Kyanite Men's Jacket $149.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2020 10:47 am
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
1645 posts
1566 upvotes
RCGA wrote: No one has linked me to a jacket I can buy today that's higher quality, cheaper (sub $130), from an equally reputable company and offering free shipping and returns.

People are just yelling "bUt PaTAgoNiA"

Closest thing I can find is this one for $170, which is $40 more than the Costco one.

https://www.altitude-sports.com/product ... -pat-25528
I would also consider this piece as a closer comparison:

https://www.patagonia.ca/product/mens-r ... 40110.html
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2006
3315 posts
319 upvotes
Toronto
Looks more like a shell type jacket. How many negative degrees can it handle?
====================================
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2006
5142 posts
569 upvotes
lolololol to saying patagucci, mountain hardwear, and TNF having better tech clothing for cheaper prices. Then to even mention MEC in the same line is pretty jokes. There's no point in comparing pro grade gear because they are all very good, very expensive, and each do very different specialized things.
- Mountain Hardwear/TNF/OR is mountaineering + alpinism focused
- Patagucci is climbing/surfing (although most of their line up is pretty lifestyle now)
- Arcteryx is climbing/skiing

For a comparison/similarity purpose, I've picked an "all rounder" travel down jacket that doesn't make you look like michelin man:
  • Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer: $425, 800 fill, 10D ripstop, 249g
  • Arcteryx Cerium SL Hoody: $400, 850 fill, 7D nylon, 215g
  • TNF Sierra Peak Hoodie: $370, 800 fill, 15D ripstop, 300g
  • Patagonia Down Sweater Hoody: $349, 800 fill, 30D ripstop, 428g -- they don't have a "lighter" down jacket
Obviously there's no full comparison because we don't know full specs (such as fill weight). But simply looking above, they are all relatively close in performance and price. Is the MH worth $25 more for a bit better durability, but less fill power? Is the Arcteryx worth $30 more than TNF for 50 better fill power and 100g less weight? Is Pata better "value" even though it's double Arc's weight? All this are subjective because end of day, they are used for "around town/travel".

Now if you want to use a down insulation jacket purely for performance... TNF has Summit L6 for $800, MH has Absolute Zero for $1.1k, Arc has Ceres SV for $1k, Pata doesn't even have anything at this performance level. If you're using any piece of tech clothing for urban fashion statement, then there's not much to say. There's also people who want a do-everything piece of equipment (like a jacket) because they are cheap (especially RFD), but that's not how high end/performance/tech gear is designed. Can it be used for multi purpose? Yes... but it's not its intended usage. Can you take a CG parka to go skiing? Sure. Can you use an Alpha SV as a rain jacket? Sure.

Arcteryx fit/cut works well along with with each of their lines, and yes, they might not fit well for certain body types because... those body types might not belong to people who are actually active. They have many pieces which has gone through multiple iterations and are tried/true.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
1645 posts
1566 upvotes
RCGA wrote: This is a half zip and shipping is $15. Probably another $20 to return it if it doesn't fit.
Yeah, I was just showing the unit. It's not the best place to buy. I'd try it on at the store and get it somewhere like the thelasthunt if available

Anyways, I've got the Arc Fortrez hoodie last year on sale that has the same Polartec fleece as Kyanite and is more pricey. It's nice and all but it's not particularly warm and I would never pay full asking price.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2293 posts
745 upvotes
Ottawa
lol at the MSRP for a fleece jacket. I love my Atom LT but no way in hell I would pay the asking price for a fleece "jacket".
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2007
2509 posts
2409 upvotes
Calgary
Blue medium and XL back in stock. The lack of any promos probably makes this a luke warmish deal at best. The Last Hunt has it for $140 but nothing left for medium or large.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
2844 posts
1161 upvotes
Canada
Model in the pic has man boobs.
Nov 22, 2004
301 posts
36 upvotes
Proteinz wrote: Can't comment on Mountain hardwear but their prices aren't too far off Arcteryx so not sure why you brought up their brand. I think Eddie Bauer is great for their price points.
I think the poster might have been referring to Mountain Warehouse instead of Mountain Hardware. Mountain Warehouse prices are on par with Eddie Bauer if not cheaper.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
9325 posts
840 upvotes
Toronto
Technical fleece, I just bought a uniqlo fleece jacket on sale for 20 bucks.

Does the job for someone who does not need the features of the kyanite...

No hate on arcteryx though, I have their more mainstream pieces (atom Lt, cerium LT, beta Lt) and love them for my uses. Just fleece.... Can't see the utility.
Jan 20, 2006
696 posts
57 upvotes
Montreal
IMHO, totally not worth its price tag. I like Arc'teryx and have several down insulated winter coats/jackets but damn this particular one is just overpriced.