• Apr 20th, 2020 6:59 pm
[OP]
Nov 11, 2018
18 posts
24 upvotes
Calgary

[Costco] ASUS VivoBook Model S532FA-QS71-CB 1099$ CAD

Do you guys think its a good buy?
It has a in built The intelligent touchpad (not sure if its ScreenPad™ 2.0)

Processor and Memory:

10th Generation Intel® Core i7-10510U
12 GB RAM
32 GB Intel® Optane™ memory

Drives:

512 GB SSD
No optical drive
microSD card reader

Display and Video Graphics:

15.6 in. FHD display (1920 × 1080)
Intel UHD Graphics

Communication:

Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth® 5.0
HD IR webcam (Windows® Hello® enabled)

Keyboard and Pointing Device:

Bilingual backlit keyboard
Exclusive dual-function touch-pad

Ports:

1 × USB-C™
2 × USB 2.0
1 × USB 3.1
1 × HDMI®
1 × headphone/microphone combo

Operating System:

Microsoft® Windows® 10 Home
38 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 27, 2004
8930 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
As far as I can tell according to ASUS it is Screenpad 2.0

asus.com/ca-en/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-S15-S532FA/

No dedicated graphics card. I have a ASUS vivobook S15 and pretty happy with it after 2 years.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3368 posts
1435 upvotes
Vancouver
I was looking at that one as well. It looks decent but I have no expert knowledge about this machine.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2584 posts
2156 upvotes
Montreal, QC
pongster wrote: Is the cpu a quad core? More?
Not very complicated to google "i7-10510U" as mentioned in the OP. The answer is very clear in the first hit you get.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1816 posts
10330 upvotes
Emporium wrote: Not very complicated to google "i7-10510U" as mentioned in the OP. The answer is very clear in the first hit you get.
Dumb responses on laptop/computer threads are par for the course on RFD Hot Deals.

Coming up after the break:

• "Can this play 4K YouTube and Netflix?"
  • "How does this compare to [other laptop that costs $599]?"
  • "I have no use for these specs therefore nobody should have any use for these specs and this is a dumb buy"
  • "Is this better than a Macbook"
  • Complaints about 1080P on a 15.6" screen
  • Complaints about having bought 1 Asus nine years ago and being unhappy with it
  • "But the keyboard is bilingual!!!"
  • "Would be hot deal if 24 GB RAM and $799"
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1754 posts
1173 upvotes
I wonder how the touch screenpad thing is in real life
Seems like gimmky

Hows battery life on this?

spec seems decent for 1100 bucks
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
2375 posts
804 upvotes
YVR
Leverage wrote: Dumb responses on laptop/computer threads are par for the course on RFD Hot Deals.

• "I have no use for these specs therefore nobody should have any use for these specs and this is a dumb buy"
  • Complaints about having bought 1 Asus nine years ago and being unhappy with it

You forgot. That price error that happened many blue moons ago was a better deal than this.

Somewhat related. I'm anxiously waiting for the Asus G14 and G15 series laptops to be released in Canada. Hoping Costco carries them. They're absolute beasts.
Zoomer
Sep 1, 2018
96 posts
102 upvotes
TeriyakiJack wrote: You forgot. That price error that happened many blue moons ago was a better deal than this.

Somewhat related. I'm anxiously waiting for the Asus G14 and G15 series laptops to be released in Canada. Hoping Costco carries them. They're absolute beasts.
Those would easily cost 2000+.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2584 posts
2156 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Emporium wrote:
Not very complicated to google "i7-10510U" as mentioned in the OP. The answer is very clear in the first hit you get.
Leverage wrote: Dumb responses on laptop/computer threads are par for the course on RFD Hot Deals.

My answer was in response to the shear laziness of some people asking a question about the cpu without even bothering to do a google search (especially when the CPU model was clearly identified in the OP's post).

I never tried to compare to anything else. The specs are pretty good, and I never knocked this particular machine which is more than capable of handling most tasks 95% of the people out there will throw at it, short of serious gaming or high end 3D CAD use (and a few other very specific tasks) . Most people will rarely get this cpu above 50% load, in 95% of it's use.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2008
1197 posts
685 upvotes
TeriyakiJack wrote: You forgot. That price error that happened many blue moons ago was a better deal than this.

G14 with the ryzen9, i want this also .... BEASTSSSSSS
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10350 posts
6818 upvotes
Kyaku wrote: G14 with the ryzen9, i want this also .... BEASTSSSSSS
AMD will be having one hell of a year.
Aug 28, 2014
410 posts
537 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
At $1100 you may want to consider the Zenbook lineup instead. Vivobook is their midrange series, usually made from plastic while Zenbook is the premium lineup, usually made from higher grade aluminum.

At the same time, this is the higher end of the Vivobook.
Dec 1, 2019
9 posts
11 upvotes
If anyone was thinking about upgrading storage because they saw that the laptop has two m.2 slots, be aware that only one m.2 slot is functional. Not a deal breaker by any means (a single m.2 is standard anyways), but just a warning so no one runs into problems down the line because of it.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
4104 posts
3560 upvotes
Richmond Hill
InsertGenericName wrote: If anyone was thinking about upgrading storage because they saw that the laptop has two m.2 slots, be aware that only one m.2 slot is functional. Not a deal breaker by any means (a single m.2 is standard anyways), but just a warning so no one runs into problems down the line because of it.
Source? Sounds extremely odd to have an extra slot that doesn't work by design.