• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2021 10:42 am
[OP]
Jul 27, 2016
181 posts
114 upvotes
victoria

[Costco] bali cellular shades 25% off @ costco

I have been shopping around for some custom blinds and saw Costco has their Bali cellular shades on sale for 25% off which i believe is a really good deal.

for comparison for the same special order blinds from home depot:

64-1/4x 46-1/2 blackout motorized
HD reg: $640.56 , just expired sale $512.45
Costco reg: $522, current sale: $391

59" x 46-1/2 blackout motorized
HD reg $592.62 , just expired sale $474.10
Costco reg: $483, current sale: $362.25

34-1/4 x 46-1/2 blackout cordless bottom up
HD reg 255 , just expired sale $204
Costco reg: $208, current sale: $156
108 replies
Sep 24, 2004
804 posts
372 upvotes
Scarborough
Can someone who's bought these share your experience, specially with regards to the (self) installation part.
[OP]
Jul 27, 2016
181 posts
114 upvotes
victoria
@sudesingh super easy. there are 3-5 metal clips that you screw to the top of window frame, (inside mount) and then the blind just clips in. the secret is to have all the clips on the same line. i usually cut a spacer block then then use that to align the clips so they are the same distance away from the widow.
Sep 21, 2007
402 posts
232 upvotes
Canada
sudesingh wrote: Can someone who's bought these share your experience, specially with regards to the (self) installation part.
I have the Bali and Home Depot cellular shades, both non-motorized. Bali are thinner and lighter and Home Depot are more bulky (as are cellular shades from bed bath beyond). I bought the Bali first and thought they were poor quality because they are so thin and light weight, but I appreciate how sleek they are now that I have the others. My Bali are corded top down bottom up. My Home Depot and bed bath are cordless and the Home Depot are day/night so they have a solid cellular shade and also a transparent upper shade. This style is much cheaper at Home Depot even after Costco discounts. Overall the installation is similar. It’s simple. A few screws to hold the brackets then just snap the blinds onto the brackets. Use a level to line up the brackets and keep everything straight. Pretty straightforward. The tricky park was snapping the blinds into the brackets. You need to rotate them into place. I’d say it’s relatively easy overall, so if you have doubts, just go for it. You don’t need to pay someone to do this. You can do it yourself.
Jul 24, 2019
17 posts
24 upvotes
I've had the Bali blinds from Costco for 6 years. Not corded and cellular. On almost half of them (we have 12) the string has broken or knotted internally and no longer go all th way top and they stop 8" from the bottom. Thier warranty isn't long enough for the poor workmanship and they won't help. Just my experience
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1520 posts
692 upvotes
sudesingh wrote: Can someone who's bought these share your experience, specially with regards to the (self) installation part.
I have cellular shades in my entire home but the basement. All 1IN. I have 6 that I got customized with transparent and semi transparent and the rest are off the shelf Levolor ones

I got lucky for my customized ones because it was a no tax weekend at Lowes then another 25% off. Prior to this I tried getting quotes for Hunter Douglas and my brain exploded on the prices.

Installation is very easy. Just need either a screw driver or a drill set to a low setting

If you have any windows >4ft, make sure to follow how many brackets you need (should be 3). Reason is if you only put 2 the sides will slant down. 3 will make it all straight from the top

BTW, if you dont need anything customized or a fancy one you can buy one off the shelf from Lowes and HD and get it cut to width. They have sizes with standard window dimensions. If you have a window that doesnt face anything and you just open or close it outright then you can save money this way and get a 1 colour one thats not customized

As for energy savings: I believe in it. There is nothing stopping you from still using curtains during the winter months for added insulation (I dont)
Last edited by Biscayne05 on Jan 19th, 2021 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 28, 2007
73 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
Saw this deal last night and am on the fence about pulling the trigger. Looking to fit 2 bedrooms with cordless cellulars...

1) Wait for a better sale? Lowes had a 40% off Bali sale the week before Black Friday. The associate told me that it happens twice a year.

2) Buy cordless Levelor off-the-shelf cut-to-size cellular shades. I previously installed the Levelors in a guest bedroom and they work great. However, the shade ends up being slanted at the bottom if I don't pull them down evenly. However, this may be true of all cordless cellular shades?

Also, does anyone have experience with double cell shades? How do they stack up against singular?

As for Hunter Douglas, the duettes look great but a hard NO. My home isn't worth 2.5mm+ needed to justify them in my bedrooms.
For the main floor, I bought the Maxxmar Sunset shades in Lima White from Home Depot when they had 25% off. They're essentially high quality knock-offs of Hunter Douglas Silhouettes (better than the Blinds to Go Serenity). The Maxxmars are simply stunning. We get a lot of compliments on them.

ALWAYS SELF-INSTALL. If you have ever used a screwdriver and measuring tape, you can do this. The most important thing is to accurately measure before hand. Don't be scared; it's easy. Measure the top, bottom and middle of the window opening. Measure to the nearest 1/8". Once done, measure again. Lastly, look at the product's installation manual. For inside mounts, the manufacturer will cut another 1/4" to 3/8" off the measurement you provide. If you're confident in your measurements; over-size for snugger fit. Otherwise, just provide your measurements and accept that the blinds will be 1/4" to 3/8" shorter than what you've indicated.
[OP]
Jul 27, 2016
181 posts
114 upvotes
victoria
@the_godfather30 if lowes regular prices are anything like homedepot then I would pull the trigger now the difference is minimal. using my third example HD reg $255, lowes @40% off =$153 Costco = $156, If you can however get away with off the shelf (if colour and size work, or dont need morotization) that is probably a cheaper option.
Jun 28, 2007
73 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
Biscayne05 wrote: I have cellular shades in my entire home but the basement. All 1IN. I have 4 that I got customized with transparent and semi transparent and the rest are off the shelf Levolor ones

I got lucky for my customized ones because it was a no tax weekend at Lowes then another 25% off. Prior to this I tried getting quotes for Hunter Douglas and my brain exploded on the prices.

Installation is very easy. Just need either a screw driver or a drill set to a low setting
What are the differences between the Levolor and your custom ones? Are the fabric differences noticeable?
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4812 posts
1340 upvotes
$550 after the discount for a basic 8.5' blind!!! Hard pass.
Let's hug it out
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1693 posts
775 upvotes
Toronto
any comments on how these bali compare to blinds.ca?
after all the customizations, seems blindstogo is expensive, blinds.ca is cheapest, this bali and HD off the shelf ones are somewhere in the middle.
I'm looking for top down bottom up ones.
The HD ones I can't get samples for, the blinds.ca ones are OOS on their samples, I might try to order some samples for these bali ones.
Aug 21, 2019
53 posts
12 upvotes
Do they have the semi-circular ones for arch windows? I searched through the website but didn't see any.
[OP]
Jul 27, 2016
181 posts
114 upvotes
victoria
@RCGA you need to supply the tight measurement, measure top, middle and bottom and give the smallest of the 3. depending on the length and height you might need to split it into two blinds or 2 blinds 1 headrail.

@the_godfather30 not sure about the fabric differences in terms of quality, but colour choice is a big one for custom order (30-100 colours ) vs off the shelf ( 2-3 colours)

If i had the option i probably would have gone with off the shelf. but needed to go motorized as opening /closing 5 bllinds in living room each morning was a pain. (had corded faux wood and they were heavy) now press one button and done. will be ordering 4 more for the master bedroom now.
Aug 30, 2013
724 posts
746 upvotes
prairies
I've got the Levelor cellular shades from Lowes. I got them each for $30-75 each on sale and they are holding up quite well over the passed 2 years. They are white, I have little kids playing with them all the time and they still look brand new.
Are these that much better to pay such a premium?
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2007
2079 posts
1107 upvotes
Ottawa
DominicL044247 wrote: @the_godfather30 if lowes regular prices are anything like homedepot then I would pull the trigger now the difference is minimal. using my third example HD reg $255, lowes @40% off =$153 Costco = $156, If you can however get away with off the shelf (if colour and size work, or dont need morotization) that is probably a cheaper option.
Looks like you are correct. 25% off at Costco =~ 43% off lowes price.
http://lowes.baliblinds.ca/
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1520 posts
692 upvotes
the_godfather30 wrote: What are the differences between the Levolor and your custom ones? Are the fabric differences noticeable?
With the fabric yes. If you really want to go fancy then there's quite a few choices.

You have to think which windows you want to spend money on and which one to save on - in my case, I have a total of 6 windows which has the half transparent,half semi-transparent because these are the windows where I think Id like to partially see through or let a ton of light in. The half and half thing I have has a net like fabric on the transparent section then either I have a Black out or a semi transparent on the bottom, more like a heavy duty cardboard material

If you think you arent really going to need that then the off the shelf option is good enough and itll save you a lot of money. It was easy for me to match since I have everything White at home. The fabric is paper-tissue like and I have semi-transparent for my Levolors.

So my set up:

Main floor - 3 windows with half/half, transparent and semi-transparent. The rest are all Levolor semi-transparent because I want to let light in despite having all my windows shut

2nd floor - all semi transparent as well except the Masters bedroom where I have transparent and black out

Still thinking what to do with my basement.
May 3, 2012
75 posts
63 upvotes
Victoria
Here are my experience with Bali motorized cellular shades (bought via Costco) in case anyone interests.
- I have motorized shades, controlled by Smart things so I can have them automatically opened and closed every day. They are really nice but expensive. They don't work perfectly (signal dropped occasionally) but still acceptable.
- I have plug in power adapter for the motorized shades. I think this is a better option than battery. However, it's a bit tricky to find solutions to hide wires to a nearby outlet.
- excellent customer service from Bali. I had a few issues with motorization features and called support. They had competent agents who could help and sent replacement parts quickly.
I love my motorized shades but they are so expensive compared to the non-motorized one so I only have them on a selected few windows.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
4987 posts
4050 upvotes
Ottawa
emiliespam wrote: Here are my experience with Bali motorized cellular shades (bought via Costco) in case anyone interests.
- I have motorized shades, controlled by Smart things so I can have them automatically opened and closed every day. They are really nice but expensive. They don't work perfectly (signal dropped occasionally) but still acceptable.
- I have plug in power adapter for the motorized shades. I think this is a better option than battery. However, it's a bit tricky to find solutions to hide wires to a nearby outlet.
- excellent customer service from Bali. I had a few issues with motorization features and called support. They had competent agents who could help and sent replacement parts quickly.
I love my motorized shades but they are so expensive compared to the non-motorized one so I only have them on a selected few windows.
Man I'm getting a quote for $700 a window. However, in my bedroom, I LOVE having it completely blacked out. The issue is, we are lazy, so the blinds invariably stay down the majority of the time. I got some of hte Ikea automated blinds for the home theatre room and they integrate into Home Assistant amazingly well, but thye aren't quite large enough for my bedroom windows.

I ramble. My question is I guess, how's the quality on them? They aren't cheap, but I'm iwlling to spend it on automating a couple windows in my bedroom.
[OP]
Jul 27, 2016
181 posts
114 upvotes
victoria
@emiliespam Bali now offers rechargable battery packs which beats the lithium battery option.

I was lucky when bullding my house that i prewired my main windows with bell wire, so no need for battery packs or a plug near the window. the motorization /smartthings/google home/ alexa integration were definatly the selling feature for me. motorization adds about $230 -300 pre discount to the price of the blinds depending on the power option so the 25% definatly makes it more reasonable.