Home & Garden

Are the Costco bathroom exhaust fans any good ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2021 9:42 pm
35 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
5132 posts
981 upvotes
Calgary
I find when I go into the washrooms at Costco that they don't smell bad. So yes, the fans are god.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Aug 9, 2016
44 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
I think they are fantastic especially they come with humidity sensors.
I was pleasantly surprised when it came on automatically when I was taking a shower after I had forgotten to switch it on before starting the shower.
Thy don't seem to be as quite as they publicise but it don't see a big negative there.

Otherwise all good at such an amazing price.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2625 posts
1620 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Get a Panasonic exhaust fan.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5381 posts
5003 upvotes
Toronto
+1 for Panasonic. They're the go-to fan for all of us who do our research and pick the best, and they're not expensive.

Buy from an electrical supply shop. You don't buy building materials/fixtures from Costco.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
Owner a Panasonic fan here. Very happy with it. A bit pricey, but worth all pennies throwed to buy it. Silent, efficient. Never seen fog in the bathroom mirror since installed compared to my old NuTone fan.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
438 upvotes
East York, ON
pricey! What makes them the go to brand? The Costco ones are $90 right now -with humidity sensor manual think and timer ( I think)
Sig abuse not tolerated on RFD - mods
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
438 upvotes
East York, ON
looks like I am going to need a reducer :-( my exhaust duct is 3"
static pressure might kill the fan
Dec 7, 2009
529 posts
356 upvotes
B-Town
CuriousC wrote: looks like I am going to need a reducer :-( my exhaust duct is 3"
static pressure might kill the fan
I have the reducer on my fan. Only found out after I was in the attic. Still works really well. Only problem I had was the switches are on the outside of the bathroom.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
438 upvotes
East York, ON
It is noisier because of that ?
Jan 7, 2006
763 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto
This one linked here is what they sell in the store, the one in the first post is different (70 cfm).

I have 2 of the breeze-easy fans, they're not whisper quiet like the panasonic but are still pretty quiet. I've had both of these for just over 3 years, one is on everyday for 5 hours just to vent out the laundry room and the other is on when the bathroom is in use (daily, but probably less than 1h... I have it set to auto shut off after 30 mins).

I have a reducer on the one that's on laundry room fan, no issues so far but it is a bit louder than the other one, but the duct run is also a good 8 ft with a 90 degree turn... the bathroom one has a pipe straight out the roof (about 3-4 ft).
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
438 upvotes
East York, ON
TLSRULZ wrote: If all you need is 80cfm I think Lowe's has a broan on sale for like $32.. don't know how good or quiet but great price.

https://www.lowes.ca/product/bathroom-f ... fan-699306

My parents got one for their powder room. I still have to install it.
Well that is a fantastic price but no timer no humidity sensor
I could add a humidity sensor and hook the hole thing to my home automation system but I will save lots of time buying the Costco one
The Panasonic ones are cool but too expensive compared with the Costco ones.
If someone can point me to a Panasonic one at 100CFM with timer and humidity sensor that would be great. I do not know where to search these things, I could probably find out but it will take me a while and I have challenges with other things so if an alternative is not easy to find I will buy this model as it is in my budget and it does all I need
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2550 posts
1011 upvotes
I installed one in our bathroom remodel. Happy with it so far. Seems as good as our NuTone and the humidity sensor is great.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
438 upvotes
East York, ON
schade wrote: https://www.amazon.ca/Panasonic-FV-0511 ... B076QNM3X8
Built in humidity sensor, ECM motor for mukti-speed fan control, can handle higher static pressure.

Or get a fan without a humidity sensor and buy the wall mounted humidity switch
I almost chocked when I saw the price :-)
Yes buying a regular fan and using that switch will take close to what Costco is selling but you have to items two vendors two warranties and so on
I remember reading around here that Costco has a very good return policy or electronics ..is that still the case?

Here is what they sell at Costco, it clearly says sensor and timer

Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3799 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
Yea saw those in the store .. I don't like everything at costco.. got burned on a few bad products and last thing I want is taking it out to return it. Hence went with Panasonic and a 60min timer which I default set for 30min.

Again not saying this is a bad product.. I don't know.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)