Home & Garden

Are the Costco bathroom exhaust fans any good ?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2020 11:01 pm
29 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4919 posts
762 upvotes
Calgary
I find when I go into the washrooms at Costco that they don't smell bad. So yes, the fans are god.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Aug 9, 2016
32 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
I think they are fantastic especially they come with humidity sensors.
I was pleasantly surprised when it came on automatically when I was taking a shower after I had forgotten to switch it on before starting the shower.
Thy don't seem to be as quite as they publicise but it don't see a big negative there.

Otherwise all good at such an amazing price.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2272 posts
1255 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Get a Panasonic exhaust fan.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2964 posts
1948 upvotes
Toronto
+1 for Panasonic. They're the go-to fan for all of us who do our research and pick the best, and they're not expensive.

Buy from an electrical supply shop. You don't buy building materials/fixtures from Costco.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5328 posts
3603 upvotes
Owner a Panasonic fan here. Very happy with it. A bit pricey, but worth all pennies throwed to buy it. Silent, efficient. Never seen fog in the bathroom mirror since installed compared to my old NuTone fan.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1653 posts
212 upvotes
East York, ON
pricey! What makes them the go to brand? The Costco ones are $90 right now -with humidity sensor manual think and timer ( I think)
[external link removed, do not repost]
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1653 posts
212 upvotes
East York, ON
looks like I am going to need a reducer :-( my exhaust duct is 3"
static pressure might kill the fan
Dec 7, 2009
381 posts
182 upvotes
burbs
CuriousC wrote: looks like I am going to need a reducer :-( my exhaust duct is 3"
static pressure might kill the fan
I have the reducer on my fan. Only found out after I was in the attic. Still works really well. Only problem I had was the switches are on the outside of the bathroom.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1653 posts
212 upvotes
East York, ON
It is noisier because of that ?
Jan 7, 2006
537 posts
257 upvotes
Toronto
This one linked here is what they sell in the store, the one in the first post is different (70 cfm).

I have 2 of the breeze-easy fans, they're not whisper quiet like the panasonic but are still pretty quiet. I've had both of these for just over 3 years, one is on everyday for 5 hours just to vent out the laundry room and the other is on when the bathroom is in use (daily, but probably less than 1h... I have it set to auto shut off after 30 mins).

I have a reducer on the one that's on laundry room fan, no issues so far but it is a bit louder than the other one, but the duct run is also a good 8 ft with a 90 degree turn... the bathroom one has a pipe straight out the roof (about 3-4 ft).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1653 posts
212 upvotes
East York, ON
TLSRULZ wrote: If all you need is 80cfm I think Lowe's has a broan on sale for like $32.. don't know how good or quiet but great price.

https://www.lowes.ca/product/bathroom-f ... fan-699306

My parents got one for their powder room. I still have to install it.
Well that is a fantastic price but no timer no humidity sensor
I could add a humidity sensor and hook the hole thing to my home automation system but I will save lots of time buying the Costco one
The Panasonic ones are cool but too expensive compared with the Costco ones.
If someone can point me to a Panasonic one at 100CFM with timer and humidity sensor that would be great. I do not know where to search these things, I could probably find out but it will take me a while and I have challenges with other things so if an alternative is not easy to find I will buy this model as it is in my budget and it does all I need