Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Beef Tenderloin is CHEAPER !!!!!!!!($49.99/kg) (was:$64.99/kg

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2020 11:57 am
Oct 11, 2014
368 posts
318 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
adamtheman wrote: So chinese food restaurants are charging $750 per kg of actual meat used in black pepper beef?

My local chinese restaurant charges $13 for a plate of black pepper beef. Are you saying the entire dish only has 17 grams of beef?
[/quote]

Just looking at the July 6 image, I think OP is saying that a dish contains around ~140g of beef,
Oct 1, 2009
111 posts
127 upvotes
Van/Vic
adamtheman wrote: So chinese food restaurants are charging $750 per kg of actual meat used in black pepper beef?

My local chinese restaurant charges $13 for a plate of black pepper beef. Are you saying the entire dish only has 17 grams of beef?
[/quote]

Cant you read bro? may be you have a hard time understanding? he said using one 2.x kg can make 15 dishes, so say $120/15 it will cost him about $8 for the beef, so he doesn't pay $20+ at restaurant.

and your $13 black pepper beef is it tenderloin?
Dec 10, 2005
646 posts
290 upvotes
dkvby wrote:
Cant you read bro? may be you have a hard time understanding? he said using one 2.x kg can make 15 dishes, so say $120/15 it will cost him about $8 for the beef, so he doesn't pay $20+ at restaurant.

[/quote]

A 2kg pack that is drained portioned and then it looses another ~15% of weight in moisture while cooking = so 2kg - 5%liquid drain, - 15% water cookoff= 113g per dish

113g per dish has about 40% protein - this is still crazy bad money
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7906 posts
3518 upvotes
walleye*guy wrote: Nope, not a hot deal in my book. Mechanically tenderized Costco beef, at a price it was 6 months ago, does not a hot deal make........
Primals aren't mechanically tenderized.
Apr 1, 2015
121 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks for sharing OP, will definitely check it out
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
6929 posts
8769 upvotes
74629315 downvotes
dkvby wrote:

Calm down bro.

So $120 will make him 15 dishes, is $8 per dish. That doesn't include the veggies, spices, other ingredients, time spent prepping/cooking/heating. The "15x" is irrelevant then. That would be like me saying bread is on for $1 a loaf, and costco sells 6 packs, so with one bulk pack I can make 35 sandwiches which is 35x more sandwiches than subway makes. You don't put "15x" unless you are comparing same size to same size. Otherwise why does it matter? Guess what? 2 packs of beef tenderloin will make 30x the amount of a chinese restaurant!!! WOAH!
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2009
2216 posts
1263 upvotes
Montreal

isn't that a beef tenderloin too? at $29.99/kg
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
12143 posts
111578 upvotes
Ontario

[/quote]
TimDrake wrote:
Just looking at the July 6 image, I think OP is saying that a dish contains around ~140g of beef,[/quote]
vortex240 wrote: Cant you read bro? may be you have a hard time understanding? he said using one 2.x kg can make 15 dishes, so say $120/15 it will cost him about $8 for the beef, so he doesn't pay $20+ at restaurant.

A 2kg pack that is drained portioned and then it looses another ~15% of weight in moisture while cooking = so 2kg - 5%liquid drain, - 15% water cookoff= 113g per dish

113g per dish has about 40% protein - this is still crazy bad money[/quote]
LankyD wrote: Usually the Chinese restaurants don't use Tenderloin in their stir fry dishes. They cut the beef slices against the grain and use some stuff like cornstarch or baking soda to tenderize the meat.

https://thewoksoflife.com/prepare-beef-for-stir-fry/

I'm referring to the picture above. It's in cubes instead of slices.

Some restaurants will give less meat if you ordered from DD, Skip, Uber & other delivery apps.

I think they use the cheap beef tenderloin instead of this one. The one I posted is softer and more tender.

The cheaper one (also sold at Costco) is less tender and chewier.
Costco West: BC, AB, SK & MB
Costco East: ON, Québec , NB, NS & PEI
Jan 2 - 29th Member Savings (Costco)
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2013
1113 posts
2504 upvotes
Fredericton
I gave up buying meat at Costco. A local meat shop has better local meat at way cheaper prices. We can buy tenderloin on demand for usually less than $13/lb.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1585 posts
1390 upvotes
Etobicoke
Thanks OP. The Costco near me hasn't had tenderloin in weeks, steaks or whole, Ive been waiting for this. And how all you haters, Beef tenderloin is many times better than the other cuts.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1344 posts
845 upvotes
Vancouver

The cheaper one (also sold at Costco) is less tender and chewier.
It's the same AAA beef. One has the silver skin trimmed off. If you find one more chewy, it's because you're prepping it wrong.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
12143 posts
111578 upvotes
Ontario
turbo_slug wrote: It's the same AAA beef. One has the silver skin trimmed off. If you find one more chewy, it's because you're prepping it wrong.
I agree. that's why I cook at home instead of ordering from Chinese restaurants.
Costco West: BC, AB, SK & MB
Costco East: ON, Québec , NB, NS & PEI
Jan 2 - 29th Member Savings (Costco)
Aug 12, 2003
559 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
williamsauga wrote: Image

isn't that a beef tenderloin too? at $29.99/kg
Thats a great price. Is this available at all Costcos?
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3106 posts
1273 upvotes
Toronto
for a lean cut like tenderloin, does it matter much if it is AA or AAA? Before the pandemic, Loblaws will occasionally have cryovac whole tenderloin AA for $9.99/lb
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2580 posts
3644 upvotes
GTA
Costco is AAA at $50/kg for trimmed, $30 for untrimmed. Look closer and you'll see the difference. Up to you to decide if that is worth $20/kg (hint: it's close, you lose a lot trimming a whole tenderloin if you do it properly).

Loblaws sells ungraded (I've never seen a grading for it at my Loblaws, ymmv) for $22/kg ($10/lb) when on sale.
Oct 1, 2009
111 posts
127 upvotes
Van/Vic
adamtheman wrote: Calm down bro.

So $120 will make him 15 dishes, is $8 per dish. That doesn't include the veggies, spices, other ingredients, time spent prepping/cooking/heating. The "15x" is irrelevant then. That would be like me saying bread is on for $1 a loaf, and costco sells 6 packs, so with one bulk pack I can make 35 sandwiches which is 35x more sandwiches than subway makes. You don't put "15x" unless you are comparing same size to same size. Otherwise why does it matter? Guess what? 2 packs of beef tenderloin will make 30x the amount of a chinese restaurant!!! WOAH!
LoL, u r the one didn't understand and making fun of OP by saying wow restaurant charing $750/kg for beef and wow 17grams of beef in a dish bullshit like that. How did u come up with that 2 numbers anyway, u made that up?

WOAH!!!! WOAH!!!! U finally understand by giving examples of bread, and 2 packs make 30x dishes. WOAH!! WOAH!!

But the 15times part, if u read ops again " If I make the same meat portion as them, I can make 15 times." He is talking about the beef, so whats wrong by using 15 times?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)