Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Beef Tenderloin is CHEAPER !!!!!!!!($49.99/kg) (was:$64.99/kg

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2020 11:57 am
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
2982 posts
934 upvotes
karlb wrote: Costco is AAA at $50/kg for trimmed, $30 for untrimmed. Look closer and you'll see the difference. Up to you to decide if that is worth $20/kg (hint: it's close, you lose a lot trimming a whole tenderloin if you do it properly).

Loblaws sells ungraded (I've never seen a grading for it at my Loblaws, ymmv) for $22/kg ($10/lb) when on sale.
Yeah but the trimmings still taste amazing. Heck, the chain is practically the best part!!

I’d still take a ribeye over tenderloin any day though. More fat, more flavour
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3428 posts
5423 upvotes
GTA North
Thatdealguy wrote: As of July 6th, Costco has reduced their meat prices again.

I usually cut these into 7-8 slices. I make black pepper beef and veggie. It costs $20+ at a Chinese restaurant and will have more veggies than meat.

If I make the same meat portion as them, I can make 15 times. Eating at home is a lot cheaper.

1.JPG

2.JPG
3.jpg
4.jpg
7.jpg
Not sure if anyone asked but I sure would love to know how you make your black pepper beef recipe. Got a video or could you please do a write up on that please?! :D

Been buying the premade stuff from FoodyMarts cooked section for a while and may as well make it myself.
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3428 posts
5423 upvotes
GTA North

Just looking at the July 6 image, I think OP is saying that a dish contains around ~140g of beef,[/quote]

A 2kg pack that is drained portioned and then it looses another ~15% of weight in moisture while cooking = so 2kg - 5%liquid drain, - 15% water cookoff= 113g per dish

113g per dish has about 40% protein - this is still crazy bad money[/quote]

I'm referring to the picture above. It's in cubes instead of slices.

Some restaurants will give less meat if you ordered from DD, Skip, Uber & other delivery apps.

I think they use the cheap beef tenderloin instead of this one. The one I posted is softer and more tender.

The cheaper one (also sold at Costco) is less tender and chewier.
[/quote]

Can you list which resturants that give less when ordered from those services?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29297 posts
14815 upvotes
fightbriz wrote: Anything other than tenderloin, no care
That's basically me except without the "no"
turbo_slug wrote: I gotta wonder how many people on here buy tenderloin at Costco then cook it in their instant pot? Just saying...
*shudder*

williamsauga wrote: isn't that a beef tenderloin too? at $29.99/kg
This one is untrimmed. You'll lose a bit to trim loss.
If you don't mind some work (and some free trim) yours is a better deal IMO
Thatdealguy wrote: that's why I cook at home instead of ordering from Chinese restaurants.
Restaurant style Chinese cooking can't be easily replicated at home because most people don't have a jet engine to cook on.
10k BTU vs 100k BTU.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Banned
Feb 23, 2004
7940 posts
3539 upvotes
Why is this expired?

Did prices go back up?
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3428 posts
5423 upvotes
GTA North
death_hawk wrote:
Restaurant style Chinese cooking can't be easily replicated at home because most people don't have a jet engine to cook on.
10k BTU vs 100k BTU.

Woket power that one can make at home.

Also if anyone wants to make pandemic edition ramen at home his experiment turned out well with whatever was laying at home.

Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29297 posts
14815 upvotes
thedealhunter2000 wrote: Woket power that one can make at home.
It's reasons like this I kind of wish I still lived in a house.
Not that I'd do this. I'd get a high pressure propane burner that's capable of 200k BTU and go to town.

NOTE: If you've never cooked on a real wok before, I'd recommend starting with something like the above. Even with that, you're gonna burn something. I burned SO MANY fried rices when I was learning.
Now that I've worked on 100k BTU regularly, my biggest complaint is that "doesn't this thing get any hotter"?

The charcoal setup that guy has going actually looks surprisingly weak. There's a lot of yellow flames. Yellow flames aren't that hot.
It'd be fine for your first few times (especially at no cost if you have a leaf blower, charcoal starter, etc) but once you get used to it, it won't be nearly hot enough either.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Mar 6, 2019
227 posts
165 upvotes
no more pandemic premium...that's all

compared to 10 yrs ago, prices for various cuts of beef (among other things) are still up 100% or more
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7595 posts
4402 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: That's basically me except without the "no"

*shudder*

This one is untrimmed. You'll lose a bit to trim loss.
If you don't mind some work (and some free trim) yours is a better deal IMO

10k BTU vs 100k BTU.
It's a joke