Computers & Electronics

Is Costco the best place to buy a TV? Because of Return Policy?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2020 12:11 pm
[OP]
Nov 1, 2014
77 posts
5 upvotes
Madden, AB

Is Costco the best place to buy a TV? Because of Return Policy?

I want the 55Q7G but my local store doesn’t have it, or I want a TCL 6 instead, which they also don’t have. Walmart has the Q7G, but they have a 30 day return policy, instead of 90.
9 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9952 upvotes
Edmonton
Goosepants wrote: I want the 55Q7G but my local store doesn’t have it, or I want a TCL 6 instead, which they also don’t have. Walmart has the Q7G, but they have a 30 day return policy, instead of 90.
How can anyone tell you what the best store is to buy something if they don't know what you value? If you think there's a chance that you might want to return the TV in the 30-90 day range, then Costco is your best option. But if Costco doesn't have it, then your options are more limited.

Costco doesn't price match, but you could always return it and buy it at the other store. Kind of a pain in the butt for a 55" tv, though.

You also list 3 different tv's, but again, only you know what features/functionality is important to you.

Basically, if you want useful advice, provide useful context.

C
[OP]
Nov 1, 2014
77 posts
5 upvotes
Madden, AB
Well I want to use it for gaming on PS4 and switch (and ps5), and watch Blu rays, and stream. But I’m not someone who know a lot about TV’s.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9952 upvotes
Edmonton
Goosepants wrote: Well I want to use it for gaming on PS4 and switch (and ps5), and watch Blu rays, and stream. But I’m not someone who know a lot about TV’s.
Start with rtings.com, and read reviews. Figure out your budget. Figure out who sells tv's around you, and what they have available. Pull trigger.

C
[OP]
Nov 1, 2014
77 posts
5 upvotes
Madden, AB
Instead of making another topic, how is the 55x750H? Reviews from stores say it’s great, but the x750f from rtings.com only has a 6.6, saying movies don’t look that great. Anyone here have that TV?
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3131 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
Goosepants wrote: Instead of making another topic, how is the 55x750H? Reviews from stores say it’s great, but the x750f from rtings.com only has a 6.6, saying movies don’t look that great.
You get what you pay for. If you want a budget TV, you're not going to get the greatest PQ, or gaming experience, or # of HDMI ports, etc.

Will you notice a difference with regards to movies not looking that great? No idea. Have you accounted for things like optimal viewing distance (couch to tv) to screen size, and ambient lighting in the room? These things make a big difference. As well as properly calibrating the TV once you have it installed.

Those things being said, the general consensus is that the cheapo TCL/Hisense/whatever TVs are decent quality and people are generally satisfied with them. Take that for what it's worth.
Jan 12, 2017
614 posts
223 upvotes
With return policy in mind, it's likely you will know if this is a keeper in less than 2 weeks, if you are shopping a lot of models with the intention of returning all but the keeper, I suspect this plan will fall on some hard rocks. Warranty takes some of the risk out of a purchase, the cheaper the TV the bigger warranty is best. Don't fixate on one brand or feature, go with the best deal that makes sense.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1369 posts
1391 upvotes
ON
Goosepants wrote: I want the 55Q7G but my local store doesn’t have it, or I want a TCL 6 instead, which they also don’t have. Walmart has the Q7G, but they have a 30 day return policy, instead of 90.
I personally think 30 days should be enough to decide whether one likes the TV enough to keep it or not. I would value the 2nd year free warranty more and that would be my primary reason to go with Costco.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2906 posts
967 upvotes
I honestly thought for a while that it is, but after others suggested reading rtings.com to compare a few models, I no longer feel that way. If you find the TV you want them sure, I would go for it, but we settled on the 55' TCL that Costco does not sell, and found it best of the class so off to Best Buy I went. I learned quite a bit doing research to get the best bang for my buck, which to me was more important than anything else.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6024 posts
2743 upvotes
Durham
Buy from Visions.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)