[Costco] Bestar Standing Desk $319

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2020 4:40 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2011
1594 posts
663 upvotes
Mississauga
Snappingus wrote: Thanks for posting this. I just put the order in for the office one and not the premium. Was a there a reason why you would go with the premium?
I had said that because of the height; it only goes as low as 29.5". However, now that I've used it for 3 or so days, the height is actually just fine for me (I'm 5'10). Happy to save the ~120+tax difference between the office and premium.

If you have an existing desk that you sit at where your knees/elbows are in the right posture, then should help you estimate what height will work for you.
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
12 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
razorblade2099 wrote: I've been doing some research. The premium has three segments while the home office has two segments. Two segments are fine if you're not too tall, but if you're taller you want three segments as the leg overlaps will make it less wobbly. Also, three segments will go lower than two segments. So if you are of average height, two segments are fine. If you're especially tall or short, you will probably want three segments.
Three segment was important to me for this reason. Most tables are not comfortably low enough for me. I am not particularly short. Not tall either. I'm 5'4''
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
12 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
SaskGopher wrote: Just completed an order for the Autonomous SmartDesk DIY for $517.65 taxes in (I received an emailed discount of 10% for having the desk in my shopping cart for a few days. Alternatively, use "BRAVEXHERO" for a 10% discount). Cross-shopped between it and the Fully Jarvis, Effy Business, MotionGrey, and Prime Cable offerings. I reasoned that since this is a bigger purchase, I might as well go for the best all-around deal.

I needed a desk that had a minimum height of less than 70cm, so that ruled out all 2-tier legs. I then compared rising speed. reviews, warranty, discounts vs MSRP, etc
- I felt the Prime Cables desk ($423.10) was just too cheap in quality (and the additional logos on the controller and legs would be eyesores)
- The Motion Grey desk ($406.79) was very appealing, however the 3 year warranty was insufficient, the controller looks a bit too cheap, and I didn't want to wait for a Mid-may delivery.
- The Effy Business desk ($514.14) was appealing, but apparently some parts are shared with the Motion Grey desk, so why pay so much more? Also, it didn't seem to hold a candle to the Fully or Autonomous desks
- It was a serious toss-up for the Fully Jarvis ($521.50), as it compares very similarly to the Autonomous SmartDesk, but shipping costs are not refunded with a return (which would be astronomically expensive). I also couldn't find any discount codes and free shipping wasn't offered, so I felt that I'm not getting any advantages in savings in comparison with the Autonomous Smartdesk (which usually starts at $599)

I'll take some pictures and give it my full review when it arrives. I thank everyone for their feedback and opinions in helping me narrow down my choice
The details of your posts throughout this thread were very helpful. Thanks!

I had a similar debate between the Fully and the Autonomous desks. I didn't get the Fully because:
- I wanted a table top and frame combo, and the price difference was too much
- Concern about it being stuck at the US-CAN border
- Concern about duties
- Refund policy

I settled on the Autonomous SmartDesk 2 Premium, because:
- Three segments for the flexibility to deal with both the lower and the higher height range @ 26" - 52". I'm 5'4" and my partner is 6'4" for reference.
- Dual-motors
- 7-year warranty
- 300 lbs
- Can pay with Paypal as an extra layer of protection
- Table top because I didn't care to look for something from Home Depot/wherever
- Quick shipping based on this thread
- Rated well See links: https://www.btod.com/blog/autonomous-sm ... -2-review/ and https://www.btod.com/blog/best-standing-desk
- Overall value / discounted price with BRAVEXHERO

Total cost: $578.67
Duties: None

Delivery time: 5 days including order date.
Ordered Monday. Delivered today from Concord to Toronto.
Tracking number provided on the third day (Wed).

Set-up and assembly:
2-person assembly required: Suggested, but not required
Instruction manual: Yes. They're not great. Not horrible either.
Extra screws provided: Yes
Packaging removal time: 10-15 mins
Assembly time: 45-60 mins with power tools
Mar 2, 2015
24 posts
63 upvotes
Markham, ON
razorblade2099 wrote: I've been doing some research. The premium has three segments while the home office has two segments. Two segments are fine if you're not too tall, but if you're taller you want three segments as the leg overlaps will make it less wobbly. Also, three segments will go lower than two segments. So if you are of average height, two segments are fine. If you're especially tall or short, you will probably want three segments.
hackoder wrote: I had said that because of the height; it only goes as low as 29.5". However, now that I've used it for 3 or so days, the height is actually just fine for me (I'm 5'10). Happy to save the ~120+tax difference between the office and premium.

If you have an existing desk that you sit at where your knees/elbows are in the right posture, then should help you estimate what height will work for you.
Thank you both -- very helpful. II am 5'11, so based on what you're saying it should be a good enough option for me.
Jun 17, 2007
212 posts
72 upvotes
Just got the Bestar desk delivered by UPS. Another cluster f by UPS but that’s a different story.

Long story short the package came with a bunch of missing screws so I can’t even assemble the table legs. They are also heavy AF. I’m just here to vent coz I waited over 3 weeks for this!!! So mad!!
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2006
1735 posts
204 upvotes
Markham
Still waiting for my desk..ordered about a month ago..will be following/subscribing to this thread to see if everyone is receiving theirs yet...really hoping I dont have to wait over a month only to receive a mish-mash of missing parts....
PSN ID: liquidimpulse
Nov 26, 2003
29 posts
7 upvotes
Port Coquitlam
SaskGopher wrote: Just completed an order for the Autonomous SmartDesk DIY for $517.65 taxes in (I received an emailed discount of 10% for having the desk in my shopping cart for a few days. Alternatively, use "BRAVEXHERO" for a 10% discount). Cross-shopped between it and the Fully Jarvis, Effy Business, MotionGrey, and Prime Cable offerings. I reasoned that since this is a bigger purchase, I might as well go for the best all-around deal.

I needed a desk that had a minimum height of less than 70cm, so that ruled out all 2-tier legs. I then compared rising speed. reviews, warranty, discounts vs MSRP, etc
- I felt the Prime Cables desk ($423.10) was just too cheap in quality (and the additional logos on the controller and legs would be eyesores)
- The Motion Grey desk ($406.79) was very appealing, however the 3 year warranty was insufficient, the controller looks a bit too cheap, and I didn't want to wait for a Mid-may delivery.
- The Effy Business desk ($514.14) was appealing, but apparently some parts are shared with the Motion Grey desk, so why pay so much more? Also, it didn't seem to hold a candle to the Fully or Autonomous desks
- It was a serious toss-up for the Fully Jarvis ($521.50), as it compares very similarly to the Autonomous SmartDesk, but shipping costs are not refunded with a return (which would be astronomically expensive). I also couldn't find any discount codes and free shipping wasn't offered, so I felt that I'm not getting any advantages in savings in comparison with the Autonomous Smartdesk (which usually starts at $599)

I'll take some pictures and give it my full review when it arrives. I thank everyone for their feedback and opinions in helping me narrow down my choice
I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the Autonomous.ai DIY Smart Desk Kit Premium but want to make sure it ships from Canada. I noticed a couple of others in this thread say theirs shipped from Ontario, and wondering if yours did as well?
Dec 21, 2011
22 posts
22 upvotes
North York
Zeypher wrote: I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the Autonomous.ai DIY Smart Desk Kit Premium but want to make sure it ships from Canada. I noticed a couple of others in this thread say theirs shipped from Ontario, and wondering if yours did as well?
Sorry for delaying on an update and review. I still plan on doing a full writeup. In brief though, this desk is amazing and I'm absolutely loving it. Really solid fit and finish.

I'd have to get the box out of storage to check the shipping details, but I'm 99% certain it shipped within Ontario. After ordering the ETA was 7-15 business days, but it actually arrived 2 days later. That tells me it was from a local warehouse.
May 11, 2012
182 posts
40 upvotes
Calgary
Received Bestar desk today but I will most probably return it as lots of people are having issue with missing parts -- unless someone post a really good review about it.

Thinking to go with something else with at least 5-7 years warranty.
Nov 26, 2003
29 posts
7 upvotes
Port Coquitlam
SaskGopher wrote: Sorry for delaying on an update and review. I still plan on doing a full writeup. In brief though, this desk is amazing and I'm absolutely loving it. Really solid fit and finish.

I'd have to get the box out of storage to check the shipping details, but I'm 99% certain it shipped within Ontario. After ordering the ETA was 7-15 business days, but it actually arrived 2 days later. That tells me it was from a local warehouse.
Eagerly awaiting your full writeup! Thanks for getting back to me. I went ahead and spoke with customer service and confirmed that shipping does indeed come from warehouses in Canada and will ship anywhere in Canada. So no duties. Everyone who said it shipped from Ontario lived in the East so wanted to be sure it'd be same for West coast.
Jul 30, 2019
56 posts
46 upvotes
Vancouver
Received my Bestar desk in 2 packages yesterday and today.

Tabletop was damaged (looks like dropped before or during transit) and Costco couldn't exchange it as it is out of stock, so they recommended me to contact Bestar directly and provided a PO #. Got a hold of their customer service and they were super helpful and said they will send another tabletop no questions asked.

Definitely wish it wasn't damaged the first time around but the follow up process seems to be going smoothly so fingers crossed that it arrives soon.
May 11, 2012
182 posts
40 upvotes
Calgary
jcha7420 wrote: Received my Bestar desk in 2 packages yesterday and today.

How is the overall quality?
Jul 30, 2019
56 posts
46 upvotes
Vancouver
Haven’t assembled yet. Will update when it arrives.

Must have been a heavy drop to chip it the way it did though.