Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Bestar Standing Desk $319

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2020 4:40 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2005
8212 posts
579 upvotes
Yes my colleague who bought his in January came from Ontario.
Zeypher wrote: I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the Autonomous.ai DIY Smart Desk Kit Premium but want to make sure it ships from Canada. I noticed a couple of others in this thread say theirs shipped from Ontario, and wondering if yours did as well?
Heatware: 36-0-0
Jan 4, 2008
20 posts
4 upvotes
Durham Region
neo1973 wrote: Yes my colleague who bought his in January came from Ontario.
I had the same question, I emailed customer support and got the following response:

"We do have a warehouse in Canada so the product is free from duty. You can change the flag on the top right corner of our site into Canada and you will be able to pick and see the availability of our products in your country."
Apr 30, 2008
509 posts
147 upvotes
Waterloo
Have had my Bestar desk for a couple of weeks now.
I got the smaller one for my sons room, 24x48. But was using it as my office now and again. Needed a smaller one intentionally due to the size of the room. had the IKEA 30x48 desk there before and it was sticking out a bit.
I didn't have the shortage of parts as others mentioned, in fact i had way too many parts, there was an extra screw in every set plus some i don't even know what they were for. it was one long bag with all kinds of screws sealed separately in it.
The legs were indeed very heavy. Instructions not the best but i managed. The legs i think are the same for different sizes so they adjust in the middle. Yet there aren't pre-drilled holes for different sizes.
I didn't like the way the desk top attaches to the legs as you just screw it in with 4 smaller screws into pre-drilled holes. It holds fine but it's by no means solid. Taking it apart and putting it back together might be a problem as the top is not solid wood. My IKEA desk had a plastic fixture in the desk top and a special screw that could be attached/detached without issues multiple times.
Anyway, the desk is pretty good, goes up and down no problem, wish it had memory functions. It is not deep enough for me as i can't stretch my legs without bumping into the wall. But i knew it would be a problem buying it, still needed a smaller desk.
With that comes a another problem bumping into the motor with your knees some times or even the middle frame of the desk. Doesn't happen usually when sitting normally but a possibility when watching something and just rocking in the chair left and right or something like that.
In a couple of days I noticed when the desk is going down it produces a clicking sound in the leading leg as if gears are skipping or something. Called inn customer support, that was very responsive and they are shipping me a spare leg as soon as they get it in stock.
From what i understood the tops they make in Quebec and the legs are coming from China.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2006
1734 posts
204 upvotes
Markham
Anyone still waiting for their desk? Still have not received a shipping notification from Costco as of yet...Ordered back on April 2nd 2020...
PSN ID: liquidimpulse
Apr 30, 2008
509 posts
147 upvotes
Waterloo
liquidimpulse wrote: Anyone still waiting for their desk? Still have not received a shipping notification from Costco as of yet...Ordered back on April 2nd 2020...
when i talked to support they said they didn't have any frames in stock but were supposed to get a shipment in early June.
Aug 22, 2019
12 posts
6 upvotes
I got this desk and it has been nothing but frustration. Missing screws two weeks ago got sent last week, but the wrong sizes. Ordered another around of screws, finally go the right screws but missing the washers. I got fed up and got washers from a local store instead of waiting. Fine.

I go open up the table top because I can finally assemble and the table top comes damaged. I'm not sure what I want to do. It seems they can ship me another table top but probably likely the table top is going to be banged up again during shipping. Even if it comes perfect I'd have to figure a way to dispose the old table top.

Oh, and I ordered the monitor armed version. A word of cautionary tale. These arms extend out a LOT if you want to put the monitors close together. This means there's a bunch of unused desk real estate behind the monitors you cannot access. Or you have to swing the arm a different way where the arm knuckle sticks out the back preventing you from pushing your table against a wall. My fault for not researching monitor arms properly.

So much time is lost with Bestar I'm on the verge of returning it...but the hassle of returning is even worse because I ordered the 72" which is a bi*ch to move. What to do, what to do.

If anyone's considering the Bestar desk, my advice is STAY AWAY!
Mar 9, 2014
82 posts
48 upvotes
Ottawa
lol ...everyone just wait a bit- shops are opening up -i'm assuming demand might go down a bit. Autonomous.ai - I was about to pull the plug but then at the bottom I saw "Shipping estimated Sep 18-2020" - I cancelled it.
Jun 12, 2016
594 posts
244 upvotes
Mississauga
Well my bestar desk is no longer going up! lol
From the lowest setting, it would only go up by about 2-3 inches then it stops. Goes down to the lowest setting no problem, but the motor would not raise the desk after 2-3 inches. Not sure if it's something to do with the motor or the connecting rod but I've emailed customer service to see how they can help. It's a decent desk if it works, but if I was to do it again I would buy a dual motor.
Jun 12, 2016
594 posts
244 upvotes
Mississauga
LauD14 wrote: Well my bestar desk is no longer going up! lol
From the lowest setting, it would only go up by about 2-3 inches then it stops. Goes down to the lowest setting no problem, but the motor would not raise the desk after 2-3 inches. Not sure if it's something to do with the motor or the connecting rod but I've emailed customer service to see how they can help. It's a decent desk if it works, but if I was to do it again I would buy a dual motor.
Update: Called Bestar customer service and was able to troubleshoot over the phone. Should this issue happen to anyone else do the following:

1. Disconnect the power from the wall and wait for 1 minute for the unit to reset
2. Reconnect the power cable and press both up and down arrow on the control panel at the same time. You may or may not hear a beep while you do this, but keep holding the two buttons until the desk starts to lower. This might take a minute or so
3. Once it lowers to the lowest setting, the up arrow should raise the desk
4. If the problem still persist, check the rod connection assembly to make sure it's not loose

I was told that this could happen again especially if the power is not plugged directly to the wall. Something to do with the panel sensing a change in power spikes. Mine is connected to a power bar. Hope that helps someone.
Jul 30, 2019
41 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver
Hexane wrote: How is the overall quality?
Second tabletop arrived, and I finally got to put the Bestar desk together.

Have been using it for the past couple of days and I was impressed at how solid it is, coming from mostly IKEA furniture in the house - this desk is over 50 lbs for the tabletop and 60 lbs for the legs and frame. Instructions were definitely lacking but the assembly was fairly simple and self-explanatory. No issues with raising and lowering the desk once it was set up correctly.

One thing I didn't expect was the number of extra screws that the frame came with, which was definitely worrying after going through the instructions several times and not finding a place for them. Also a nice bonus was that it comes with a passthrough 12V socket with USB chargers that you can fit into one of the cord management slots to have them available on the tabletop.

All in all a great purchase and even better customer service dept!
Jul 7, 2016
277 posts
521 upvotes
jcha7420 wrote: Second tabletop arrived, and I finally got to put the Bestar desk together.

Have been using it for the past couple of days and I was impressed at how solid it is, coming from mostly IKEA furniture in the house - this desk is over 50 lbs for the tabletop and 60 lbs for the legs and frame. Instructions were definitely lacking but the assembly was fairly simple and self-explanatory. No issues with raising and lowering the desk once it was set up correctly.

One thing I didn't expect was the number of extra screws that the frame came with, which was definitely worrying after going through the instructions several times and not finding a place for them. Also a nice bonus was that it comes with a passthrough 12V socket with USB chargers that you can fit into one of the cord management slots to have them available on the tabletop.

All in all a great purchase and even better customer service dept!
Great to hear your review of it. I am putting mine together after procrastinating (been busy). I only just realized I have a large chip in my table top as well, likely from shipping. I wasn't too fussed about it as I do need the desk, so returning it wasn't a consideration so it's good to know I could potentially receive a new table top.

Do they pick up the old one as well? Or do we have to figure out a way to ship it back? If it's too much of hassle, I may just live with it given wear and tear will happen over time regardless (and it's a budget desk in the grand scheme of things).

Out of curiosity, what are people's thoughts on tabletop colours? Costco's website was not great at visualizing the colours, but ended up going with the deep grey. It ended up being closer to black.
Jul 30, 2019
41 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver
Presents wrote: Great to hear your review of it. I am putting mine together after procrastinating (been busy). I only just realized I have a large chip in my table top as well, likely from shipping. I wasn't too fussed about it as I do need the desk, so returning it wasn't a consideration so it's good to know I could potentially receive a new table top.

Do they pick up the old one as well? Or do we have to figure out a way to ship it back? If it's too much of hassle, I may just live with it given wear and tear will happen over time regardless (and it's a budget desk in the grand scheme of things).

Out of curiosity, what are people's thoughts on tabletop colours? Costco's website was not great at visualizing the colours, but ended up going with the deep grey. It ended up being closer to black.
In my situation, they said they wouldn’t pick up the broken tabletop and that I could keep it. I can’t imagine how you would be stuck with shipping costs to send it back though. YMMV of course but the sooner you start the process the better these warranty things usually work out. Good luck with the process!

I ordered white and it showed up white, no complaints.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2006
1734 posts
204 upvotes
Markham
Finally received a shipping notification on Costco Thursday! Here's to hoping it arrives sometime next week(undamaged)...

**edit**

All packages finally arrived today. I purchased the 60"x30" version. Assembled everything and the stability of the desk when shaking the table left to right is a little...questionable. I'll be putting 2x32" monitors on this desk and am a bit concerned about the amount of movement going laterally. Has anyone else been able to solve this issue?
PSN ID: liquidimpulse