Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Black Cod Whole Fish (farmed) - $19.99/kg (YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2021 3:00 pm
[OP]
May 3, 2011
134 posts
24 upvotes
Hamilton

[Costco] Black Cod Whole Fish (farmed) - $19.99/kg (YMMV)

Hi. I saw whole black cod at Costco 2 Friday’s ago in Ontario. Bought it right away. Harvested the fish and man it was good. IMO at $20 a kilo was a fantastic deal and am craving more - but last Friday there was no black cod to be found. Has anyone seen this? Unicorn Costco purchase?
Images
  • BC6848F5-9140-436C-86B8-9BA467E1066F.jpeg
27 replies
Aug 29, 2018
909 posts
928 upvotes
Oh man havent had cod and halibut in so long. Simply steamed with some sliced garlic, ginger, onions and a little soy sauce.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
1453 posts
663 upvotes
Langley
First and foremast, thanks for sharing this! Unfortunately I thought I stumbled upon the holy grail until I read the tag in your picture lol! Please put "farmed" in the title as there is a massive difference between wild Sablefish (black cod) and farmed black cod. Its still a pretty decent price nonetheless as its half the price of wild but I wont venture into any farmed fish from Costco after all the press over the years as well as personal experience.

Far from a unicorn purchase, just checked in with Dad and they have it at Costco Langley as of two days ago so it must be or might be country wide.
Mar 25, 2006
696 posts
455 upvotes
jbone14 wrote: First and foremast, thanks for sharing this! Unfortunately I thought I stumbled upon the holy grail until I read the tag in your picture lol! Please put "farmed" in the title as there is a massive difference between wild Sablefish (black cod) and farmed black cod. Its still a pretty decent price nonetheless as its half the price of wild but I wont venture into any farmed fish from Costco after all the press over the years as well as personal experience.

Far from a unicorn purchase, just checked in with Dad and they have it at Costco Langley as of two days ago so it must be or might be country wide.
I thought only farmed salmon were bad. Care to elaborate what you know about farmed black cod? Thanks!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
1453 posts
663 upvotes
Langley
starscreamX wrote: I thought only farmed salmon were bad. Care to elaborate what you know about farmed black cod? Thanks!
Like I said, I just wont personally venture into farmed fish in general from Costco. My overall experience was soured after the Steelhead by both the press and my own personal experiences with it. I know years back, Black Cod farming wasn't even feasible as the fish took too long to grow to "market size" (which is 5-7 lbs I believe) so they must have made some major changes somehow to make them grow faster or something. No knowledge or anything about the farmed black cod otherwise.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2009
1932 posts
1490 upvotes
Gunfunk wrote: Hi. I saw whole black cod at Costco 2 Friday’s ago in Ontario. Bought it right away. Harvested the fish and man it was good. IMO at $20 a kilo was a fantastic deal and am craving more - but last Friday there was no black cod to be found. Has anyone seen this? Unicorn Costco purchase?
And you didn't post then but are posting now?

Son. I am disappoint.
jbone14 wrote: Like I said, I just wont personally venture into farmed fish in general from Costco. My overall experience was soured after the Steelhead by both the press and my own personal experiences with it. I know years back, Black Cod farming wasn't even feasible as the fish took too long to grow to "market size" (which is 5-7 lbs I believe) so they must have made some major changes somehow to make them grow faster or something. No knowledge or anything about the farmed black cod otherwise.
Links I could read to better inform myself?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
1453 posts
663 upvotes
Langley
aviator_13 wrote: Links I could read to better inform myself?
Honestly, just pop "Costco Farmed Fish" or the like into Google as there are far too many to share. I am not saying that in any way shape or form to come across as an a-hole (as whenever you tell someone to Google it will always seemingly come across poorly) but there really are that many articles on the subject. They have a bad history will selling Norwegian farmed salmon projects (same as Chefs Plate) which are some of the most toxic food products in the world... several major documentaries on that topic as well. Lets not side track OP though, send me a PM if you like.
Mar 10, 2012
62 posts
32 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
You didn't tell us 2 weeks ago and now you want RFDs help? Come on...
I would have wanted to buy some when you saw it 2 weeks ago. This isn't a Hot Deal at all.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4953 posts
3123 upvotes
Burnaby
There's a slight chance of this product being Canadian raised [labels on pics are a bit blurry to read country of origin, if such information is on them].

Canadian farmed Sablefish (Anopoploma fimbria) – also known as Blackcod... https://www.aquaculture.ca/canadian-farmed-sablefish

Sablefish farmer becomes Canada’s first net-pen Seafood Watch Best Choice, Fish Farmer Expert dot com
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
1453 posts
663 upvotes
Langley
Vancouverite604 wrote: You didn't tell us 2 weeks ago and now you want RFDs help? Come on...
I would have wanted to buy some when you saw it 2 weeks ago. This isn't a Hot Deal at all.
Read my post, it was at Langley two days ago, probably still is just call your local store if you want it.
Jan 14, 2017
625 posts
337 upvotes
Gunfunk wrote: Hi. I saw whole black cod at Costco 2 Friday’s ago in Ontario. Bought it right away. Harvested the fish and man it was good. IMO at $20 a kilo was a fantastic deal and am craving more - but last Friday there was no black cod to be found. Has anyone seen this? Unicorn Costco purchase?
Try calling your local store and get them to look up inventory for that sku.

I don't mind farm raised fish it's the chickens raised in inhumane cages that bother me. Hopefully Bill Gates, the largest farm land owner in the US, can ban those and only sell free range ones.
The Great Leap Forward or Reset
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2006
2026 posts
1888 upvotes
Calgary
Anyone else expecting Black Ops Call of Duty?
Just me that’s broken? COD... a fish. Who knew?
Nov 20, 2008
765 posts
327 upvotes
jbone14 wrote: Honestly, just pop "Costco Farmed Fish" or the like into Google as there are far too many to share. I am not saying that in any way shape or form to come across as an a-hole (as whenever you tell someone to Google it will always seemingly come across poorly) but there really are that many articles on the subject. They have a bad history will selling Norwegian farmed salmon projects (same as Chefs Plate) which are some of the most toxic food products in the world... several major documentaries on that topic as well. Lets not side track OP though, send me a PM if you like.
Honestly, let's show the google results, because 'far too many to share' isn't the case.

Costco has switched from Chilean farms to Norwegian exclusively back in 2015:

https://www.costcoconnection.com/connec ... eId1461267

Are you talking about parasites in fish or additives in feed? The former is common in all fish, even flash frozen (albeit they're now dead instead of alive), and the latter well, is murky as there isn't enough long term data wrt farmed fish. The EU premptively banned (Ethoxyquin in this case) because:
(4) The European Food Safety Authority (‘the Authority’) stated in its opinion of 21 October 2015 (3) that the assessment of the particulars and documents submitted by the applicant makes it impossible to conclude on the safety of the additive ethoxyquin for any target animals, for consumers and for the environment. This is due to an overall lack of data submitted to assess the exposure and the safety of ethoxyquin for animals, consumers and the environment. In particular, no conclusion is possible on the absence of genotoxicity of one of the metabolites of the additive ethoxyquin, ethoxyquin quinone imine. In addition, p-phenetidine, an impurity of the additive ethoxyquin, is recognised as a possible mutagen. The Authority considered the additive ethoxyquin as a potent antioxidant in feed but efficacy at the proposed use level, which has been reduced as compared with the currently authorised maximum content in feed, could not be confirmed by the submitted data. The Authority also verified the report on the method of analysis of the feed additive in feed submitted by the Reference Laboratory set up by Regulation (EC) No 1831/2003.

(5) Consequently, it has not been established that the additive does not have an adverse effect on animal health, human health or the environment when used under the proposed conditions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethoxyquin#cite_note-7

In other words, your fear of farmed fish is moreso based on your own personal experience and conjecture. Fear mongering really.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12070 posts
6955 upvotes
Markham
Japanese style miso marinated black cod is great eats.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
1478 posts
483 upvotes
Vancouver
cyberspyder wrote:
In other words, your fear of farmed fish is moreso based on your own personal experience and conjecture. Fear mongering really.
dude specifically stated it was his personal experience and only his opinion many times. He didn't want to derail the thread, he didn't even want to talk about it further until people kept asking....and then you chime in.

opinion right or not, having Farmed in the title i bet almost everyone would agree is good info to have. Thats all he wanted ...far from fear mongering.
Last edited by kaycee8877 on Feb 22nd, 2021 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2737 posts
5427 upvotes
theboschman wrote: Anyone else expecting Black Ops Call of Duty?
Just me that’s broken? COD... a fish. Who knew?
Well, there are some similarities, just like COD players I’m pretty sure these Cod weren’t too happy about spawn camping either.
Aug 29, 2010
331 posts
286 upvotes
starscreamX wrote: I thought only farmed salmon were bad. Care to elaborate what you know about farmed black cod? Thanks!
farmed fish is bad because of all the antibiotics and chemicals used to suppress diseases and other bad stuff as a result of poor water condition unavoidable when you farm fish. Those bad stuff is mostly stored in fish body with fat. In another words, I would not want to eat any fatty farmed fish and black cod is amazingly delicious fish as it is very fatty fish
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
1869 posts
2329 upvotes
GTA
I found this in a GTA Costco on Feb 14. I didn't bother to post as there was only 1 fish and I bought it. First and only time I have seen it.

SKU 26210
$19.99/kg or $45.46 for the whole fish, basically exactly 5lb
It was gutted only. Head, tail and fins still on. Needed to be scaled, which was quite easy.

I covered it with miso paste and roasted it whole, similar to this recipe: https://smellaque.com/2021/01/09/roaste ... sablefish/
Attached picture showing it covered with miso paste and about to go into the oven.
It was yummy; paired nicely with a New Zealand Pinot Gris.

The fish is from here: https://www.gindarasablefish.com/

some more links:
https://www.aquaculture.ca/canadian-farmed-sablefish
https://www.nationalfisherman.com/west- ... d-blackcod
https://www.fishfarmingexpert.com/artic ... st-choice/
Images
  • 3885794A-B61E-4821-8E47-9BB54AAFE8C5.jpeg
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2011
1950 posts
792 upvotes
VANCOUVER
gr8dlr wrote: Japanese style miso marinated black cod is great eats.
This! Did black cod steaks with white miso when T&T had them on sale. So much flavour and just flakes.