• Sep 29th, 2020 11:37 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 1, 2018
5 posts
25 upvotes

[Costco] Bob Kramer Damascus 8" Chef's Knife $349.99

Hey peeps.

I never post on here, long time lurker but I stumbled upon this "deal" and thought a very tiny percentage of you would care.

I purchased a few days ago but it hasn't shipped or anything so I don't have any more info for you.

HOWEVER, I have been eyeing the Bob Kramer 8" CARBON chef's knife for 2 years. It's always around 400 bucks but it seems to be pretty impossible to find now.
I did a random check and stumble upon this incredible price for the DAMASCUS version of the knife which is usually 100-150 MORE than the carbon version.

Amazon price is 550 still. Essentially everywhere else right now is over 500.

Costco has it for 350. I bought it so fast. Still would rather have the carbon version but since its hard to find in Canada this one will be just great I'm sure.

I know 99% of you will say 350 for a knife is ridiculous but to each there own. No need for flames.

Good luck, hope to have helped one or two of you.
Images
  • bobbykramer.PNG
Last edited by TomRFD on Sep 28th, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
56 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5232 posts
1324 upvotes
Kanata
Must be new to Costco, haven't seen these types of knives online there. They have quite a few different ones as well!
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
May 6, 2020
17 posts
62 upvotes
Can someone explain the difference between an expensive knife (e.g. the wusthof classic) and a really really expensive knife like this one? Are you just able to use it for a longer period of time without sharpening or are there other functional differences?
Aug 23, 2009
170 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver
rororororo wrote: Can someone explain the difference between an expensive knife (e.g. the wusthof classic) and a really really expensive knife like this one? Are you just able to use it for a longer period of time without sharpening or are there other functional differences?
1) SG2 steel core is harder than Wusthof steel - it'll be sharper for longer, but is more fragile
2) Aesthetics
Jul 12, 2005
610 posts
417 upvotes
ntan wrote:
1) SG2 steel core is harder than Wusthof steel - it'll be sharper for longer, but is more fragile
I have a $4.99 cusinart chef's knife and a pro edge sharpener. I bet my knife is sharper on any random day.
- Tired of seeing this thread?
- Click your profile name in the upper right corner > click Settings > under Accounts & Preferences on the left-hand side, click Hidden Threads > Enable thread hiding: Yes/No - select Yes then Save Changes
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1633 posts
3280 upvotes
Markham
NFN_NLN wrote: I have a $4.99 cusinart chef's knife and a pro edge sharpener. I bet my knife is sharper on any random day.
Some people have nice kitchens and like to show their knives as decor.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2012
1265 posts
356 upvotes
Barrie
NFN_NLN wrote: I have a $4.99 cusinart chef's knife and a pro edge sharpener. I bet my knife is sharper on any random day.
I'm sure your rockwell hardness would make it much sharper on a $5 knife compared to a $300 knife.

Wonder why they just don't sell these $5 knives presharpened then.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
1758 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
from what I remember, Bob Kramer knives were going for $2XX an inch ....and always sold off VIA auction. I guess this is second-tier and collaboration with Zwilling? I remember seeing him with Bourdain

Bourdain & Bob Kramer
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3127 posts
18064 upvotes
I’ve posted this in my knifes thread, you can check there.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
1137 posts
1241 upvotes
GTA
n3o321 wrote: from what I remember, Bob Kramer knives were going for $2XX an inch ....and always sold off VIA auction. I guess this is second-tier and collaboration with Zwilling? I remember seeing him with Bourdain

Bourdain & Bob Kramer
His design, Zwilling makes them in Japan. Not the same as his impossible to find handmade versions. That means you can actually find, buy and afford these. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Oct 28, 2011
116 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
n3o321 wrote: from what I remember, Bob Kramer knives were going for $2XX an inch ....and always sold off VIA auction. I guess this is second-tier and collaboration with Zwilling? I remember seeing him with Bourdain

Bourdain & Bob Kramer
I love this series from Balvenie. RIP Bourdain.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1586 posts
2749 upvotes

Bourdain & Bob Kramer
I miss Bourdain. What a great storyteller he was. RIP.
Apr 24, 2012
96 posts
37 upvotes
CALGARY
I'll take that bet, especially after using the knife for 30min

Also for the others rockwell hardness has nothing to do with how sharp you can get a knife. it has to do with how well it holds that edge
Oct 19, 2007
971 posts
441 upvotes
Montreal
I'm sure it's great but that's a huge system to sharpen kitchen knives oO