[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2007
1987 posts
757 upvotes

[Costco] Bridgestone Auto Safety Kit 46-piece kit $29.97

Fellow RFDers,

Can't find exact, similar kit goes for $40 to $70 at CT, WM and Amazon

Shall be a good safety addition for the months to come.

Merry Christmas!!

Last edited by 2007camryhybrid on Dec 9th, 2019 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
29 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2007
1987 posts
757 upvotes
Bought 2, one for each vehicle, 213 left - 816am DEC 9 2019
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
7918 posts
4123 upvotes
ON
Bridgestone is assuming you're going to be stranded next to a Ritz Carlton judging by what they decided to include in the kit. Seems like a joke to me. Are the jumper wires copper or CCA ?
Nov 23, 2004
179 posts
221 upvotes
Ontario
dilligafeh wrote:
Dec 9th, 2019 8:31 am
Bridgestone is assuming you're going to be stranded next to a Ritz Carlton judging by what they decided to include in the kit. Seems like a joke to me. Are the jumper wires copper or CCA ?
Agreed. I feel like Walmart has some kits that are a very similar price, but include a much more useful array of items.
Jun 28, 2018
14 posts
5 upvotes
dilligafeh wrote:
Dec 9th, 2019 8:31 am
For $30, did you want them to include a weeks supply of MRE's? It's a decent kit for a sedan that has nothing else
Oct 18, 2007
388 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
the 8 gauge boosters are typically $20. so if you need the other stuff in the kit i would say this makes for a good kit to have. i had to get a 6 gauge booster cable for my full size lexus for the winter years ago due to headlights left on overnight. 8 gauge didnt work for that purpose.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
7918 posts
4123 upvotes
ON
miredosl0p wrote:
Dec 9th, 2019 8:43 am
For $30, did you want them to include a weeks supply of MRE's? It's a decent kit for a sedan that has nothing else
No it's not. If you have a flat and are stuck there waiting for a while this will do exactly nothing for you. The most basic thing would be a pylon/reflective triangle, slime can, the compressor is useless when you have an air leak. But at least you can pop your zits and use the supplied bandages while you wait to get hit by a semi...decent kit...lol.
Dec 1, 2016
645 posts
569 upvotes
I used to buy these Kits for my vehicles but they never have what i need lol

I kept the Pumps, Warning Triangle, bought a good Battery Jump Starter, First Aid Kit and a Tire repair Kit. This fits nicely in the trunk between the spare tires. No ugly Bags in the trunk. I also throw in a shovel for winter time. This is better then nothing for $30, but if you are really looking for independents then build a custom kit.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
7918 posts
4123 upvotes
ON
mindabsence wrote:
Dec 9th, 2019 8:41 am
Agreed. I feel like Walmart has some kits that are a very similar price, but include a much more useful array of items.
Exactly. I do not expect an Emergency kit to cost $20 but I expect an Emergency kit to have what basic items one might need on a roadside emergency and who in here has been stranded on the road and was happy to know they saved a lot on a kit that has nothing in it to help them ? The folks calling this decent, must've never left the city or driven in a snowstorm.
Must have items for me ?
Emergency signalling reflective devices(triangle/pylon/road flare)
Pair of gloves. Pick what works for you. I have a set of neoprene waterproof ones and one Mechanic for dexterity.
Good compressor. I have a Viair.
Tire slime can or plug kit. I have a plug kit.
Blanket. Not that reflective present wrapping paper, I have a wool one.
Set of tools. Pliers, knife, adjustable wrench, screwdriver with different bits, a basic socket set.
Folding shovel. I have one of these Not that exact one but it looks just like it.
Medical kit. You can go nuts here. I have a simple one of these
Battery booster pack or booster cables. I have both. Make sure they're copper not Copper Clad Aluminum and they will last you a lifetime.
Tow strap/rope. Get one suited for your vehicle weight and don't be afraid to go overboard in terms of weight rating and length. Too long can be made to work, too short you're screwed.
Vehicle fluids. Small Jerry can for fuel, a gallon of deionized water(you can drink this too if you're ever in a bind) , quart of oil, brake fluid, windshield washer fluid(you can drink this...well you know when...lol), . These are more for the folks with mechanical knowledge but on a long trip they could save you a big headache.
Fastening devices. Rope, tow straps, bungee cords. Handy for keeping body work in place if something falls apart(hit a ditch/deer/debris on the road) and vehicle is still driveable.
Will continue this later...
May 29, 2008
209 posts
141 upvotes
Halifax, NS
dilligafeh wrote:
Dec 9th, 2019 9:44 am
Exactly. I do not expect an Emergency kit to cost $20 but I expect an Emergency kit to have what basic items one might need on a roadside emergency and who in here has been stranded on the road and was happy to know they saved a lot on a kit that has nothing in it to help them ? The folks calling this decent, must've never left the city or driven in a snowstorm.
Must have items for me ?
Pair of gloves. Pick what works for you. I have a set of neoprene waterproof ones and one Mechanic for dexterity.
Good compressor. I have a Viair.
Tire slime can or plug kit. I have a plug kit.
Blanket. Not that reflective present wrapping paper, I have a wool one.
Set of tools. Pliers, knife, adjustable wrench, screwdriver with different bits, a basic socket set.
Folding shovel. I have one of these Not that exact one but it looks just like it.
Medical kit. You can go nuts here. I have a simple one of these
Battery booster pack or booster cables. I have both. Make sure they're copper not Copper Clad Aluminum and they will last you a lifetime.
Tow strap/rope. Get one suited for your vehicle weight and don't be afraid to go overboard in terms of weight rating and length. Too long can be made to work, too short you're screwed.
Vehicle fluids. Small Jerry can for fuel, a gallon of deionized water(you can drink this too if you're ever in a bind) , quart of oil, brake fluid, windshield washer fluid(you can drink this...well you know when...lol), . These are more for the folks with mechanical knowledge but on a long trip they could save you a big headache.
Fastening devices. Rope, tow straps, bungee cords. Handy for keeping body work in place if something falls apart(hit a ditch/deer/debris on the road) and vehicle is still driveable.
Will continue this later...
Do you have any room left for gear/groceries? :)
Great list tho.
I try to keep an overnight bag in my car, as well as the useful stuff like washer fluid, snow brush and shovel. Any suggestions on a good led beacon/road flare? My concern when I breakdown on the side of the highway is someone hitting me.
Nov 23, 2004
179 posts
221 upvotes
Ontario
dilligafeh wrote:
Dec 9th, 2019 9:44 am
I'll put particular emphasis on your choices of signaling examples - stay "old fashioned" and avoid all the cool LED battery powered emergency signals. Guaranteed those batteries will be dead when you need them most, unless you're one of those people that does monthly checks on your emergency kit (which no one does!). Have some good ole reflective stuff and road flares and they'll work whenever you need them and you won't need regular upkeep on batteries.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
7918 posts
4123 upvotes
ON
mindabsence wrote:
Dec 9th, 2019 10:01 am
I'll put particular emphasis on your choices of signaling examples - stay "old fashioned" and avoid all the cool LED battery powered emergency signals. Guaranteed those batteries will be dead when you need them most, unless you're one of those people that does monthly checks on your emergency kit (which no one does!). Have some good ole reflective stuff and road flares and they'll work whenever you need them and you won't need regular upkeep on batteries.
Yep. You got that right ! The KISS principle...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
7918 posts
4123 upvotes
ON
Frugal_in_Halifax wrote:
Dec 9th, 2019 9:58 am
Do you have any room left for gear/groceries? :)
Great list tho.
I try to keep an overnight bag in my car, as well as the useful stuff like washer fluid, snow brush and shovel. Any suggestions on a good led beacon/road flare? My concern when I breakdown on the side of the highway is someone hitting me.
That is the most common occurrence especially in bad weather low visibility. Takes you from having a bad day to the obituaries in a blink.

I have the triangle to be placed at a safe distance(I'd say 75-100ft) from the vehicle and warn traffic , don't put it 10ft from your bumper it will do nothing to help traffic avoid you. The flares I have are the paraffin old type with a fat wick that look like a big candle and I can't seem to find them online anymore. Orion makes some good road flare kits that you might find of interest.https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cil- ... #store=214

As for the food part, a few protein bars or vacuum packed peanuts, cans of sardines and such don't take too much space and will do the job nicely. I have a can of precooked Bacon that is a real treat...Face Savouring Delicious Food
Didn't pay that price for them though...IIRC I paid 12$ a can a long while ago.
Sep 25, 2018
449 posts
874 upvotes
dilligafeh wrote:
Dec 9th, 2019 10:31 am
That is the most common occurrence especially in bad weather low visibility. Takes you from having a bad day to the obituaries in a blink.

I have the triangle to be placed at a safe distance(I'd say 75-100ft) from the vehicle and warn traffic , don't put it 10ft from your bumper it will do nothing to help traffic avoid you. The flares I have are the paraffin old type with a fat wick that look like a big candle and I can't seem to find them online anymore. Orion makes some good road flare kits that you might find of interest.https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cil- ... #store=214

As for the food part, a few protein bars or vacuum packed peanuts, cans of sardines and such don't take too much space and will do the job nicely. I have a can of precooked Bacon that is a real treat...Face Savouring Delicious Food
Didn't pay that price for them though...IIRC I paid 12$ a can a long while ago.
Thanks for providing the list you have!

However, 100ft is hardly safe. Make it 100 meter, or 330 feet. On highway, cars travel at 100km/h, which is about 30 m/s, or 100ft/s. When they see the triangle 100ft away, they have exactly 1 second to react. In some countries, they suggest you to run at full speed for 30 seconds to 1 minute, then place the triangle at wherever you end up with, in case people don't know how far 100 meter is.
Dec 1, 2016
645 posts
569 upvotes
AlicW93740 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2019 11:17 am
Thanks for providing the list you have!

However, 100ft is hardly safe. Make it 100 meter, or 330 feet. On highway, cars travel at 100km/h, which is about 30 m/s, or 100ft/s. When they see the triangle 100ft away, they have exactly 1 second to react. In some countries, they suggest you to run at full speed for 30 seconds to 1 minute, then place the triangle at wherever you end up with, in case people don't know how far 100 meter is.
Yeah hold the triangle in front of you when you walk 100m so that traffic can see you. Also get yourself a safety vest, so they can see you when walking back to your vehicle.