Expired Hot Deals

Costco

Brondell H2O+ - Circle Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System $299 reg $399

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2021 4:54 pm
Feb 27, 2018
12 posts
101 upvotes
Not disagreeing with your points but you can also get systems with a remineralizer, or add one to existing systems.
Apr 10, 2006
667 posts
526 upvotes
pbtech wrote: RO water isn't just for human consumption. I purchase it in 5 gallon containers for my ultrasonic humidifier at $3/jug (from Canadian Tire).
I also know people that have purchased a system just to use for their morning coffee (apparently they can taste a difference). Most people I know with RO systems only have a single tap of RO water and don't limit their consumption of fluids to that single faucet.
i've read articles explaining that RO water isn't great for brewing great tasting coffee. it needs some of the minerals in the water for the taste.
May 22, 2014
91 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
I have an RO that has a final stage that puts healthy minerals back in your water so your argument is not completely true. I personally can’t drink tap water, I can taste the difference and just plainly don’t trust what local municipalities put in the water to make it safe for drinking. Getting a good RO that puts healthy minerals back in the water solves your concern.

Also once a year maintenance is not very “high maintenance “ if you ask me
soupmaster666 wrote: RO is wasteful, potentially unhealthy, and surprisingly high maintenance.

It's wasteful because half the water is wasted in the treatment process.

It's potentially totally unhealthy because it has no minerals in it. If you cook food in tap water, some portion of the minerals in the food will certainly leach out into the water, but not all that much. RO water has NO minerals, so it will leach them from your food until it reaches a balance (which is not going to happen). Likewise with the human body - everything that comes out is full of minerals. If you don't drink any in your water, that's a net loss. Despite having relatively low amounts, the loss of calcium and magnesium in average tap water is thought to be very impactful to bone health, an impact not mitigated by suppliments.

Reverse Osmosis systems are high maintenance because the filters, housings, lines, and pressure tank need regular sanitizing. You have to be extremely careful not to contaminate anything during filter replacements. Generally sanitizing is annually. The RO process removes chlorine so there's nothing left to inhibit bacteria growth, bleach has to do it instead, and if bacteria gets in to some pressure tanks it can live on the tank bladder and be hard to remove.

On health: a big study looked at a city in Russia which used RO desalination for their water supply, compared to all the neighboring cities on wells. The researchers could clearly identify from peoples' bones if they were from that city or not, based on theineral loss. That's referenced in the WHO's document on RO safety.
Last edited by MarcoL800 on Dec 2nd, 2021 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 22, 2017
418 posts
474 upvotes
Canada
MarcoL800 wrote: I have an RO that has a final stage that puts healthy minerals back in your water so your argument is not completely true. I personally can’t drink tap water, I can taste the difference and just plainly don’t trust what local municipalities put in the water to make it safe for drinking. Getting a good RO that puts healthy minerals back in the water solves your concern.
I doNt tRusT tHE gubMENt

<trusts corporations>
Jun 14, 2017
182 posts
223 upvotes
dogger99 wrote: some people use it to get certain types of fish to breed as well
If you have a water softener, this would also be good for getting the salt out of the water for your plants.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2020
1001 posts
4555 upvotes
Vancouver Island
Is the RO finished product pretty much the same distilled water?

I use distilled water for my AeroGarden and I would use it outdoors with fertilizer for my garden if it was almost free.
Apr 10, 2006
667 posts
526 upvotes
IslandDeal wrote: Is the RO finished product pretty much the same distilled water?

I use distilled water for my AeroGarden and I would use it outdoors with fertilizer for my garden if it was almost free.
distilled water is pretty much the same as plain RO (not from a unit with a re-mineralization step). most (if not all) distilled water being sold are from RO i think. i would think tap water is better for garden as the whole ecosystem in your garden will benefit from the minerals in the water and not just the main 3 from fertilizers. plus, it's mighty expensive to use RO water to water the garden.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2020
1001 posts
4555 upvotes
Vancouver Island
vanpatrick81 wrote: distilled water is pretty much the same as plain RO (not from a unit with a re-mineralization step). most (if not all) distilled water being sold are from RO i think. i would think tap water is better for garden as the whole ecosystem in your garden will benefit from the minerals in the water and not just the main 3 from fertilizers. plus, it's mighty expensive to use RO water to water the garden.
Thanks Vanpatrick81 !

I'm near the city but on a well. I've heard that high mineral well water is not the best for liquid fertilizer.

I have a small aerogarden but I also grow in 10 Gallon rubbermaids using the Kratky Hydroponic method.

For the rubbermaids I use well water but if I can get relatively cheap RO, I would try it.
Last edited by IslandDeal on Dec 2nd, 2021 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 8, 2005
29 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
DO NOT buy H2O+, it won't last. I bought it in 2017 and it was great for 2 years. Last year the water stopped coming out and I changed all 4 filters but it didn't help at all. Every time I open the valve it just drips a tiny drop and I have to wait 2 minutes before the water starts flowing. Google it and you will find a lot of complaints of the same problem.
Last edited by victorwon on Dec 2nd, 2021 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
55278 posts
20127 upvotes
Where to buy replacement filters more cost-effectively? Someone did mention buying it from Brondell US directly.
[OP]
May 25, 2010
611 posts
934 upvotes
Orillia
everywhere i look this system gets great reviews

victorwon wrote: DO NOT buy H2O+, it won't last. I bought it in 2017 and it was great for 2 years. Last year the water stopped coming out and I changed all 4 filters but it didn't help at all. Every time I open the valve it just drips a tiny drop and I have to wait 2 minutes before the water starts flowing. Google it and you will find a lot of complaints of the same problem.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
2912 posts
1232 upvotes
MarcoL800 wrote: I have an RO that has a final stage that puts healthy minerals back in your water so your argument is not completely true. I personally can’t drink tap water, I can taste the difference and just plainly don’t trust what local municipalities put in the water to make it safe for drinking. Getting a good RO that puts healthy minerals back in the water solves your concern.

Also once a year maintenance is not very “high maintenance “ if you ask me
In Canada, you can actually get the records of the water tests, at least in NL.

Also RO water from Canadian Tire is the best water around, I think the company in NL doing it is Ultra Pure.
Apr 26, 2020
88 posts
54 upvotes
Ontario
Twotrickponyta wrote: What kind of filtration is Brita? Should I stop using it? Or are there benefits?
Brita doesn’t filter as much as any RO. It still retains the minerals your body needs.
Apr 26, 2020
88 posts
54 upvotes
Ontario
greg123 wrote: Are there portable units that are similar price? Almost no chance I will be able to drill my countertop.
If space is an issue, you can just get a Zero Water filter. Similar to Brita but water you get is like from an RO.
Jan 22, 2021
202 posts
92 upvotes
GTA
soupmaster666 wrote: On health: a big study looked at a city in Russia which used RO desalination for their water supply, compared to all the neighboring cities on wells. The researchers could clearly identify from peoples' bones if they were from that city or not, based on theineral loss. That's referenced in the WHO's document on RO safety.
Proof link?
Jul 16, 2009
236 posts
70 upvotes
What does everyone do with their waste water? I had an RO not too long ago but decided to return it due to the amount of water wastage. it's never as advertised Usually 1:3 or 1:4 on a good day. I'm using city water btw.

I couldn't see myself using it due to the amount of water lost.
[OP]
May 25, 2010
611 posts
934 upvotes
Orillia
The Brondell H2O+ Circle RO Water Filter’s exclusive Smart Valve and unique flexible inner tank are the keys to its efficient design. This special technology eliminates back-pressure on the RO membrane filter, making the Circle RO Water Filter a leader in RO efficiency. The Circle RO Water Filter reduces wastewater to an average of 2.1 gallons for every gallon of drinking water.

mikeygt wrote: What does everyone do with their waste water? I had an RO not too long ago but decided to return it due to the amount of water wastage. it's never as advertised Usually 1:3 or 1:4 on a good day. I'm using city water btw.

I couldn't see myself using it due to the amount of water lost.
Jul 16, 2009
236 posts
70 upvotes
dogger99 wrote: The Brondell H2O+ Circle RO Water Filter’s exclusive Smart Valve and unique flexible inner tank are the keys to its efficient design. This special technology eliminates back-pressure on the RO membrane filter, making the Circle RO Water Filter a leader in RO efficiency. The Circle RO Water Filter reduces wastewater to an average of 2.1 gallons for every gallon of drinking water.
These are advertise rates. I'm looking for real world numbers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)