Costco

Brondell H2O+ - Circle Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System $299 reg $399

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2021 4:54 pm
Jul 1, 2018
58 posts
571 upvotes
Waterloo
If you've ever wondered why your tea/coffee at home doesn't taste the same as it does in the cafe, this is why. Here's a comparison of the same two teabags, steeped at the same temperature for the same amount of time. Water on the left is tap, Brondell H20+ Circle RO is on the right.

Feb 4, 2011
177 posts
175 upvotes
Ottawa
Also don't use this water in an espresso machine. If there are no minerals in the water, then you will strip the inside of the boiler. No minerals is actually worst than having too much mineral in water for boilers. Water will erode the metal while too much mineral will build up. You can remove the build up, but there is nothing you can do if the boiler gets eaten away.
[OP]
May 25, 2010
613 posts
937 upvotes
Orillia
Proof link?

Korin25 wrote: Also don't use this water in an espresso machine. If there are no minerals in the water, then you will strip the inside of the boiler. No minerals is actually worst than having too much mineral in water for boilers. Water will erode the metal while too much mineral will build up. You can remove the build up, but there is nothing you can do if the boiler gets eaten away.
[OP]
May 25, 2010
613 posts
937 upvotes
Orillia
so i did find links suggesting not to use RO water for coffee and espresso machine but again you haven't tasted Orillia water hahah

Korin25 wrote: Also don't use this water in an espresso machine. If there are no minerals in the water, then you will strip the inside of the boiler. No minerals is actually worst than having too much mineral in water for boilers. Water will erode the metal while too much mineral will build up. You can remove the build up, but there is nothing you can do if the boiler gets eaten away.
Jul 1, 2007
189 posts
102 upvotes
victorwon wrote: DO NOT buy H2O+, it won't last. I bought it in 2017 and it was great for 2 years. Last year the water stopped coming out and I changed all 4 filters but it didn't help at all. Every time I open the valve it just drips a tiny drop and I have to wait 2 minutes before the water starts flowing. Google it and you will find a lot of complaints of the same problem.
Most likely you need to pump some air into tank somehow, at least this is one required maitainence step for regular RO tank every several years.
May 19, 2006
218 posts
80 upvotes
Brantford
Will this be enough to make the water from a spring fed lake drinkable? I am tired of hauling in water while boondocking off grid.
[OP]
May 25, 2010
613 posts
937 upvotes
Orillia
you'll need a system with a UV light for sure that is what i use at the lake and i also have the water tested several times each year just to make sure

roadblock wrote: Will this be enough to make the water from a spring fed lake drinkable? I am tired of hauling in water while boondocking off grid.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
55324 posts
20178 upvotes
mikeygt wrote: These are advertise rates. I'm looking for real world numbers.
Call your plumber?

I doubt Brondell will dispute its advertised numbers.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15341 posts
9900 upvotes
Southern Ontario
scorpicat wrote: Proof link?
Don’t need to, we have scientists working in the hospital that head the tech dept for a giant RO room for 100+ dialysis machines. They’ll tell you do not drink from the test faucet, it’ll demineralize your body. A junior tech tried this once years ago as a consistent source and started getting stomach pains, it’s a recurring dumbass story during new staff orientation tours.

Distilled or soft water can also accelerate corrosion in coffee/espresso machines, here’s a company I think who sponsors Kyle Roswell, the Canadian equivalent of James Hoffman, to re-mineralize with taste profiles: https://thirdwavewater.com/

As mentioned people have other reasons for RO water, so not knocking the product here.
Apr 20, 2006
96 posts
80 upvotes
mikeygt wrote: What does everyone do with their waste water? I had an RO not too long ago but decided to return it due to the amount of water wastage. it's never as advertised Usually 1:3 or 1:4 on a good day. I'm using city water btw.

I couldn't see myself using it due to the amount of water lost.
dogger99 wrote: The Brondell H2O+ Circle RO Water Filter’s exclusive Smart Valve and unique flexible inner tank are the keys to its efficient design. This special technology eliminates back-pressure on the RO membrane filter, making the Circle RO Water Filter a leader in RO efficiency. The Circle RO Water Filter reduces wastewater to an average of 2.1 gallons for every gallon of drinking water.

mikeygt wrote: These are advertise rates. I'm looking for real world numbers.
I don't believe that Brondell's tech can make the rejection rate for RO better than 1:4 or 1:3. I think the efficiency is largely because of the holding tank. The actual RO unit does not seem extraordinary. The actual prefilters are going to be more costly than your standard RO unit. I would go with a RO system that uses standard 10x2.5 filters. It wouldn't be as compact but you would save in the long run.

It would seem that this product is marketed for drinking water. My RO system is used for my aquarium - 8 stages with a booster pump to make it more efficient.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2012
1102 posts
820 upvotes
soupmaster666 wrote:

It's potentially totally unhealthy because it has no minerals in it.

The usual government shill.

LACK OF MINERALS UNHEALTHY -> PLEASE CONSUME OUR WATER WITH CHEMICALS, BIRTH COINTROL AND ANTIDEPRESSANTS!!!

just eat better food, you should have 100% of your mineral needs from it.

Poor countries drink RO/UV water everyday and the average person over there is much healthier than the average north american.
Mar 12, 2008
644 posts
129 upvotes
Windsor
soupmaster666 wrote: RO is wasteful, potentially unhealthy, and surprisingly high maintenance.

It's wasteful because half the water is wasted in the treatment process.

It's potentially totally unhealthy because it has no minerals in it. If you cook food in tap water, some portion of the minerals in the food will certainly leach out into the water, but not all that much. RO water has NO minerals, so it will leach them from your food until it reaches a balance (which is not going to happen). Likewise with the human body - everything that comes out is full of minerals. If you don't drink any in your water, that's a net loss. Despite having relatively low amounts, the loss of calcium and magnesium in average tap water is thought to be very impactful to bone health, an impact not mitigated by suppliments.

Reverse Osmosis systems are high maintenance because the filters, housings, lines, and pressure tank need regular sanitizing. You have to be extremely careful not to contaminate anything during filter replacements. Generally sanitizing is annually. The RO process removes chlorine so there's nothing left to inhibit bacteria growth, bleach has to do it instead, and if bacteria gets in to some pressure tanks it can live on the tank bladder and be hard to remove.

On health: a big study looked at a city in Russia which used RO desalination for their water supply, compared to all the neighboring cities on wells. The researchers could clearly identify from peoples' bones if they were from that city or not, based on theineral loss. That's referenced in the WHO's document on RO safety.
I had a Reliance guy came into my home and demonstrated an RO system and tested Tap water which failed the test. I had different kind of mineral water bottles from different companies and also culligans water bottle and they use RO. Out of all the samples we tested all failed but water from culligans. The mineral water I had were all good brands.
[OP]
May 25, 2010
613 posts
937 upvotes
Orillia
exactly

rkt1337 wrote: The usual government shill.

LACK OF MINERALS UNHEALTHY -> PLEASE CONSUME OUR WATER WITH CHEMICALS, BIRTH COINTROL AND ANTIDEPRESSANTS!!!

just eat better food, you should have 100% of your mineral needs from it.

Poor countries drink RO/UV water everyday and the average person over there is much healthier than the average north american.
[OP]
May 25, 2010
613 posts
937 upvotes
Orillia
So i received this yesterday and its quite large...i will install it and return it if not meeting my needs...the biggest problem i have read is the pressure has anyone add any type of pump to increase the pressure with these
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
1179 posts
827 upvotes
Canada
I got this last year, to replace my super expensive culligan that came with our place.

I kept the culligan faucet, and the tank in line.

So water goes into the Brondell, then into a culligan tank, then splits to faucet and our fridge. There is loss of pressure due to the brondell using smaller piping but once my culligan tank is full, it’s full blast.

We use the water daily for drinking and cooking, and in winter I use it in our humidifier.

I haven’t had to change filters yet as the water is still coming in <6ppm.

We have lots of hard water, we have a chlorine filter + water softener as well.

Without the RO we are registering 450-600ppm.

For buddy’s scientific explanation above, I prefer this 6ppm water for cooking and regularly drinking than city water full of everything
Getting a Wyze V3 Indoor / Outdoor Camera? SEE my FAQ Answers❗ ➡ CLICK HERE TO SEE MY POST

Telus: $45/25GB Unlimited Data [Multi Line + $5/24Mnth Disc.]
Freedom: Everywhere $50 18GB+1GB [F&F + Digital Disc.]
Fonus: Unltd CA/US/MEX Data FREE/Month
[OP]
May 25, 2010
613 posts
937 upvotes
Orillia
can you post a picture of your setup with the additional tank? also what are you using to test your water?
Samshares wrote: I got this last year, to replace my super expensive culligan that came with our place.

I kept the culligan faucet, and the tank in line.

So water goes into the Brondell, then into a culligan tank, then splits to faucet and our fridge. There is loss of pressure due to the brondell using smaller piping but once my culligan tank is full, it’s full blast.

We use the water daily for drinking and cooking, and in winter I use it in our humidifier.

I haven’t had to change filters yet as the water is still coming in <6ppm.

We have lots of hard water, we have a chlorine filter + water softener as well.

Without the RO we are registering 450-600ppm.

For buddy’s scientific explanation above, I prefer this 6ppm water for cooking and regularly drinking than city water full of everything
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
1179 posts
827 upvotes
Canada
dogger99 wrote: can you post a picture of your setup with the additional tank? also what are you using to test your water?
I will later in evening.

The tank is in inline between faucet and the RO.

My RO is in basement.

So it’s water source line into Brondell - Clean Water out from Brondell is connected to my Culligan tank with a T - then Line out of culligan tank goes to culligan post carbon filter - and then split with a T connector with one going to my fridge upstairs and other to faucet at kitchen sink.

Basically pressure drops once my culligan tank empties, once the Brondell tank empties after that, due to difference in pressure, my culligan tank fills up first, then my Brondell tank and water pressure returns

Using a TDS meter to rest water quality
Getting a Wyze V3 Indoor / Outdoor Camera? SEE my FAQ Answers❗ ➡ CLICK HERE TO SEE MY POST

Telus: $45/25GB Unlimited Data [Multi Line + $5/24Mnth Disc.]
Freedom: Everywhere $50 18GB+1GB [F&F + Digital Disc.]
Fonus: Unltd CA/US/MEX Data FREE/Month
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
2389 posts
1620 upvotes
pbtech wrote: RO water isn't just for human consumption. I purchase it in 5 gallon containers for my ultrasonic humidifier at $3/jug (from Canadian Tire).
I also know people that have purchased a system just to use for their morning coffee (apparently they can taste a difference). Most people I know with RO systems only have a single tap of RO water and don't limit their consumption of fluids to that single faucet.
My tap water is sweet. :(

Ruins all my teas... Looking for a water filtration system but probably not RO.

A single carbon filter system is probably good enough.
Nov 18, 2019
157 posts
238 upvotes
AgentV wrote: If you've ever wondered why your tea/coffee at home doesn't taste the same as it does in the cafe, this is why. Here's a comparison of the same two teabags, steeped at the same temperature for the same amount of time. Water on the left is tap, Brondell H20+ Circle RO is on the right.

It’s not a true experiment until you do it with 10 in each arm to see if there’s a natural difference in the teabags.