[Costco] Brondell H2O+ Circle RO Water Filtration System - $329.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2020 2:31 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
1159 posts
270 upvotes
Toronto
This unit wastes less than a standard 5 stage unit. But yes they all waste a bit of water to produce filtered water.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1993 posts
1678 upvotes
Gangsta101 wrote: Thanks for the perspective, I really was trying to find a possible use case for myself.

Back in 2011, I lived for a year in an African city with impossibly high fluoride levels in all their water supply. You would see lots of people with fluorosis on their teeth. Plus it caused repeated episodes of hypocalcemia. For me it was unbearable. Boiling the water had no effect, and I couldn't source a good filtration system. I had to resort to water distillation to get rid of all that fluoride.

I would have killed for an RO filtration system like this.
If you ever try one. Buy regular one. They go for around 200 to 300 dollars.. Not these integrated pieces that is made to look nice. Amazon has a bunch of the traditional looking reverse osmosis.
Mar 27, 2007
453 posts
206 upvotes
Montreal
I’ve had this for over 2 years now, and overall I like it. Stupid easy to install, but takes a ton of room under your sink cabinet.

Water pressure on this thing is a pain. It doesn’t have a pump and I don’t think it has a bladder that you can reniflante to increase the pressure at the spout. I find that after a month or so, the water output is so low that it takes forever to fill a cup (had a few overflow accidents because I forgot I was filling a cup). I would have to take out the cartridges, shake and drain them, and reinsert them to get the pressure back. This leads me to believe that the cartridges get clogged by the sediments quite a bit. I do a whole swap of 3 of the cartridges every 5 to 6 months as recommended, and the RO membrane once a year.

Love using RO water to avoid mineral deposits in my espresso machine, and have completely eliminated bottled water from the household.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1023 posts
1138 upvotes
Anyone know whats the ratio of water thats wasted? Is it like 1:1? How bad is the wastefulness?

Can RO systems remove these containments? Iron, Chlorine and Trihalomethanes?
Last edited by simplypop on Sep 12th, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 1, 2018
46 posts
371 upvotes
I’ve had this system for over 2 years, from Costco.

Pros of System:
- Easy To Install
- Integrated Unit

Cons of System:
- Filters are slightly more expensive than others
- You have to drill another hole for the included faucet
- Flow rate is somewhat slower than other units

The case for RO:
I’m a pretty solid tea drinker and found that none of the preparations in store, ever tasted the same at home. Here is a A/B test on the same teabag, at the same temperature, for the same amount of time. The water makes a remarkable difference in taste and aroma. Also, no stains or buildup in kettles/espresso lines.
07A55D4E-3993-42DD-9B3C-B4753EE5D69C.jpeg
Jun 27, 2018
178 posts
131 upvotes
AgentV wrote: I’ve had this system for over 2 years, from Costco.

Pros of System:
- Easy To Install
- Integrated Unit

Cons of System:

The case for RO:
I’m a pretty solid tea drinker and found that none of the preparations in store, ever tasted the same at home. Here is a A/B test on the same teabag, at the same temperature, for the same amount of time. The water makes a remarkable difference in taste and aroma. Also, no stains or buildup in kettles/espresso lines.

Similar opinion here. Really love the water to use in kettle and tea tastes better. The problem is cost of the filter!

I have no problem with the flow rate. Many people comment about the wastage, but nobody’s see or can’t measure the quantity of the waste. So don’t have a choice other than believe what the companies say.
Aug 7, 2014
23 posts
8 upvotes
Montreal
There is a susprising amount of areas where the water can be tainted from lead from old pipes. They released a report a few years ago showing possible problems. Another scenario are ppl who keep aquariums and require soft water.
Nov 30, 2016
820 posts
1030 upvotes
Mississauga
dsbmac wrote: There is a susprising amount of areas where the water can be tainted from lead from old pipes. They released a report a few years ago showing possible problems. Another scenario are ppl who keep aquariums and require soft water.
I just did a quick search online. The reports from Peel Region creates a sense of tranquility about the water supply, but then I found this further down.
I have to say, you are right. While the water quality itself might be pristine leaving the treatment facility (and yes the chances of microbial contamination afterwards is really low given the presence of chlorine), the fact we still have old lead pipes in the distribution system makes it potentially hazardous, especially for folks whose distribution lines were built before the 70's.
Nov 3, 2018
198 posts
95 upvotes
renegadeavenger wrote: So I see several people brought up the removal of minerals thing. Which is completely valid argument. So the extra fluoride for example that is added into city water is also removed.

The entire drinking water system / RO movement is particularly targeted towards Asians population in general. Where most of them come from, there is no safe tap water to drink. So in order to have drinkable water it must be boiled. Hence why you end up having a water drinking machine. If you are ones that use Brita filters, then RO is probably better for you.

If you are used to drinking city water, or strongly believe city water is better, then probably no need to buy RO system.

It is true that at least in Canada, the city water is drinkable. That is also if you trust the water going through aging piping or bacteria that may have been introduced before reaching to your home water supply.
Though I agree with you that Canadian water is drinkable and moreover, bottled water is a scam – all these scandals about lead in the drinking water at schools makes me thing RO is not a bad thing even in Canada.
Nov 3, 2018
198 posts
95 upvotes

Pros of System:
- Easy To Install
- Integrated Unit

Cons of System:

The case for RO:

Concerning the hole: you can buy a faucet which already has separate mini-faucet for filtered water. Like this one, to understand the idea. So no need to drill anything.
Oct 22, 2007
238 posts
132 upvotes
I've had this Brondell unit for 6 months - since the pandemic lockdown - as we didn't want to keep going to grocery stores to buy bottled water. Suffice it to say, we should have bought this YEARS AGO!

1) Super easy to install for those with 0 tech skills.
2) Water went from TDS 400 to 15 (Total Dissolved Solids) and still at 24 six months later.
3) Filters last LONGER than 6 months. The tap is on a timer to blink RED at 6 months, but according to Brondell Customer Service, as long as your TDS readings are low, then the filters are still working fine and can last as long as 1 year, depending your usage (family of 3). Simply remove the battery from the tap to reset if the red light bugs you. The Osmosis Membrane filters lasts 2 years.
4) No more hard water in kettles, pots, or anywhere...
5) Waters tastes clean and still excellent after 6 months.
6) Saves on bottled water waste and lugging around those cases. $$$ savings.
7) No pump - this works on your water pressure - no electricity used and super-quiet operation.

CONS:
1) Flow rate is low since there's no pump - about 15 seconds to fill 250 ML / 1 Cup - depends on your home's water pressure.
2) You can get 6 liters out before having to wait about 40 minutes for another 6 liters (Or 6-7 minutes for another 1 liter). For this reason, we still use regular tap water when boiling pasta etc...
3) Needs a good bit of Height under your kitchen sink - the lines are somewhat short.
4) If you are on Well Water with a pump, when the power goes out, there will be no water, so always keep some bottle cases for emergencies.

You can run the "wasted" water (2.1 gallons of water waste per 1 gallon of filtered water) to a 15L bottle/tank and use this on your plants/garden etc.... remembering to empty it everyday...
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
2755 posts
511 upvotes
Ontario
I got this same system , works great.
Yes its slow coming out of tap but no biggie, do something else while waiting hehe.
It started to suck , lugging 6 or more cases of water a month into my place from Costco.
¨°º©oVelox, Versutus, Vigilanso©º°¨
Apr 10, 2009
715 posts
123 upvotes
While the city water is safe to drink, its not great in some municipalities. Where I live for example the water is very high in rust, to the point where it sometimes comes out brown (and before anyone asks, its both hot and cold and my water heater is maintained).

The tap water also leaves deposits (white dust etc) in equipment - irons, steamers, humidifiers, kettle etc. I have a water softener to deal with the hardness of the water but I still use RO water for ironing, boiling, humidifier, baby formula, etc.
May 16, 2017
68 posts
14 upvotes
Calgary, AB

Pros of System:
- Easy To Install
- Integrated Unit

Cons of System:

The case for RO:

Do you think this better than the kinetico system?
I am in the market for one.