Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Brondell H2O+ Circle RO Water Filtration System - $329.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2020 2:31 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1987 posts
1674 upvotes
dealio411 wrote: I've had this Brondell unit for 6 months - since the pandemic lockdown - as we didn't want to keep going to grocery stores to buy bottled water. Suffice it to say, we should have bought this YEARS AGO!

1) Super easy to install for those with 0 tech skills.
2) Water went from TDS 400 to 15 (Total Dissolved Solids) and still at 24 six months later.
3) Filters last LONGER than 6 months. The tap is on a timer to blink RED at 6 months, but according to Brondell Customer Service, as long as your TDS readings are low, then the filters are still working fine and can last as long as 1 year, depending your usage (family of 3). Simply remove the battery from the tap to reset if the red light bugs you. The Osmosis Membrane filters lasts 2 years.
4) No more hard water in kettles, pots, or anywhere...
5) Waters tastes clean and still excellent after 6 months.
6) Saves on bottled water waste and lugging around those cases. $$$ savings.
7) No pump - this works on your water pressure - no electricity used and super-quiet operation.

CONS:
1) Flow rate is low since there's no pump - about 15 seconds to fill 250 ML / 1 Cup - depends on your home's water pressure.
2) You can get 6 liters out before having to wait about 40 minutes for another 6 liters (Or 6-7 minutes for another 1 liter). For this reason, we still use regular tap water when boiling pasta etc...
3) Needs a good bit of Height under your kitchen sink - the lines are somewhat short.
4) If you are on Well Water with a pump, when the power goes out, there will be no water, so always keep some bottle cases for emergencies.

You can run the "wasted" water (2.1 gallons of water waste per 1 gallon of filtered water) to a 15L bottle/tank and use this on your plants/garden etc.... remembering to empty it everyday...
Sorry I need to add a note..

While TDS shows some information about your system. Not changing filters frequently and going by TDS is not a good measurement.

So how it works is that it goes through sediment and carbon filters first. Then goes through your membrane. By not changing filters, you end up not prolonging the life of the membrane. By the time your TDS shows, your membrane would already be spent.. Please consider changing filters on time. Once a year if your water consumption is low or frequent users or large families, every 6 months. Really depends on water usage. But those filters at the end is to protect the membrane...
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
4500 posts
1763 upvotes
Ancaster
renegadeavenger wrote: So I see several people brought up the removal of minerals thing. Which is completely valid argument. So the extra fluoride for example that is added into city water is also removed.

The entire drinking water system / RO movement is particularly targeted towards Asians population in general. Where most of them come from, there is no safe tap water to drink. So in order to have drinkable water it must be boiled. Hence why you end up having a water drinking machine. If you are ones that use Brita filters, then RO is probably better for you.

If you are used to drinking city water, or strongly believe city water is better, then probably no need to buy RO system.

It is true that at least in Canada, the city water is drinkable. That is also if you trust the water going through aging piping or bacteria that may have been introduced before reaching to your home water supply.
Do you have a few (non-industry sponsored) links to start learning about RO and softeners? Our water is heavily treated here and you can smell the chlorine when you open the faucet. We use a Brita for drinking water, espresso and tea, but it is less than perfect and doesn’t do anything about the hard water.
Dec 29, 2013
820 posts
489 upvotes
Montr
renegadeavenger wrote: So I see several people brought up the removal of minerals thing. Which is completely valid argument. So the extra fluoride for example that is added into city water is also removed.

The entire drinking water system / RO movement is particularly targeted towards Asians population in general. Where most of them come from, there is no safe tap water to drink. So in order to have drinkable water it must be boiled. Hence why you end up having a water drinking machine. If you are ones that use Brita filters, then RO is probably better for you.

If you are used to drinking city water, or strongly believe city water is better, then probably no need to buy RO system.

It is true that at least in Canada, the city water is drinkable. That is also if you trust the water going through aging piping or bacteria that may have been introduced before reaching to your home water supply.
What’s wrong with Brita?
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1987 posts
1674 upvotes
unshavenyak wrote: Do you have a few (non-industry sponsored) links to start learning about RO and softeners? Our water is heavily treated here and you can smell the chlorine when you open the faucet. We use a Brita for drinking water, espresso and tea, but it is less than perfect and doesn’t do anything about the hard water.
Well.. What exactly are you wanting to know. Looking for how it works or looking for good ones to buy? At the end. All I suggest is buy designs that are traditional and not exclusively made for 1 brand and designed for looks.

All water softeners practically look the same, salt tank, resin tank, and a valve ( like fleck branded). If your water is hard then the water softener definitely will help out a lot. If you are going to get a water softener.. Then either bypass your drinking water line to not be soften, or install RO system. The soften water will have higher salt levels than unsoftened water. Soft water will help prolong appliances that slowly get lime build up. Actually before I installed water softener in this house I bought. The Bosch dish washer was disgusting. White lime buildup everywhere. After installing one, over a course of 1 month, my Bosch dishwasher was super stainless steel shiny again.

RO systems if you check amazon for example iSpring, and several others are selling the traditional models. 1 tank, 3 white canisters and 1 membrane, 1 carbon filter sitting on the top. Around 200 to 250 is what they go for.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1987 posts
1674 upvotes
Desperadude wrote: What’s wrong with Brita?
Brita is just a carbon filter. You cannot compare with a RO membrane for filtration....

I think I expressed several times with my replies.. There's nothing wrong with city water.. Just if you trust the old pipes that come to your house, and your house water pipes to be pure enough for you to drink tap water, by all means. Canada tap city water treated is perfectly drinkable, measured at city water treatment plant. But some people feel more comfortable with RO system filtering our water to be drinkable.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
4500 posts
1763 upvotes
Ancaster
renegadeavenger wrote: Well.. What exactly are you wanting to know. Looking for how it works or looking for good ones to buy? At the end. All I suggest is buy designs that are traditional and not exclusively made for 1 brand and designed for looks.

All water softeners practically look the same, salt tank, resin tank, and a valve ( like fleck branded). If your water is hard then the water softener definitely will help out a lot. If you are going to get a water softener.. Then either bypass your drinking water line to not be soften, or install RO system. The soften water will have higher salt levels than unsoftened water. Soft water will help prolong appliances that slowly get lime build up. Actually before I installed water softener in this house I bought. The Bosch dish washer was disgusting. White lime buildup everywhere. After installing one, over a course of 1 month, my Bosch dishwasher was super stainless steel shiny again.

RO systems if you check amazon for example iSpring, and several others are selling the traditional models. 1 tank, 3 white canisters and 1 membrane, 1 carbon filter sitting on the top. Around 200 to 250 is what they go for.
I'm interested to learn about:

1. What's the impact/risk of Brita filters?

2. Environmental impact of water softeners and RO.

3. What to look for in a softener/RO and what are reasonable costs?

4. Thoughts or tips on installation
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1987 posts
1674 upvotes
There's nothing wrong with Brita. But like I said. The filtration is different. The risk of carbon filters is they absorb toxins. Not changing them on time means your water you drink also has back more concentrated toxins.

1. I guess maybe main question is RO vs Brita? RO filters a lot more. Carbon is part of process but membrane filters much smaller particles. Including most bacteria.

2. RO system does use a little bit more water. As the tank fills, water is used to pressure water across the membrane for filtration. But once tank is full, it stops flushing the membrane. Water softener also consumes water. During the resin rinse with salt to recharge the resin. But you may end up having cleaner pipes and lime build up free appliances. Less soap is needed for washing to form Sud. You have a soft feeling after showers or hand washing. Supposed to be better for hair as hard water may lead to more hair loss.

3. 200 to 250 is sufficient for RO. 4 or 5 stage filtration. Water softeners I am not up to date on pricing but depends on water consumption they price their units. Ranges between 800 to 1.5k usually. Fleck valves are popular and reliable.

RO system technically you can install yourself if comfortable. Water softener.. Probably want someone that is a plumber or buy from local store that also does installs. You basically need to connect your main water source in piping into the water softener valve. And out line connects back to your source of piping to rest of the house. Needs a drain as well due to salt resin recharge.

At the end.. It is personal choice to use RO or water softener.. You really need to out weight if the benefits is worth to you and your family.
Jun 26, 2015
81 posts
104 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Have had this system for a year. Filter doesn't need to be changed every 6 months as recommended, i changed it just recently.
The water flow is very slow and this might bother some people, but otherwise it has been rock solid.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2013
1268 posts
693 upvotes
CALGARY
I just installed this yesterday. Pretty easy installation. As others mentioned water pressure is low compared to other RO systems.