Shows 19.97$ on the shelf but I paid 9.97$ Saturday 19/12
Images
  • upload.jpg
25 replies
Sep 10, 2018
254 posts
1312 upvotes
Do I care?
Does it work though? Because if it doesn't $10 is still waste of money.

Still 29.97 at local store.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
4187 posts
1289 upvotes
Vancouver
These do work but UV sanitation requires direct light contact. Anything in shadows, oddly shaped, or dirty will not be properly sanitized.

These are not certified to work against COVID-19 but you can make an educated assumption it likely works. Health Canada has warned against false claims that these work against COVID because they have not received verified test results that these work for that specific purpose.

Quite simply, your phones are DISGUSTING. We use them at the toilet, we use them after contacting a bunch of disgusting surfaces, sometimes we swipe them for recipes while handling raw meat, they sit on all sorts of disgusting surfaces. While I don't know if we can positively link touching your phone, rubbing your eyes, and then getting sick, I don't think there's anything wrong with the occasional sanitization. Viruses and bacteria do exist everywhere but I just think it's funny that we are told to wash hands often but then we go and touch our phones which have been handled everywhere throughout the day once we get home.

Lab results for number of cycles required for disinfection of different bacteria and viruses: https://www.homedics.ca/uv-clean-test-results/
Removed external link in signature.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
9827 posts
65745 upvotes
Ontario
I think it was $25 at my location but they are useless (in my opinion). It will make you feel better though
Costco is closed today (April 4th 2021) even in Quebec
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18735 posts
6773 upvotes
Toronto
Picked this up last Monday at Queensway Costco for $19.97. They only had about 10 left.
Jan 23, 2016
22 posts
4 upvotes
if you want something that kills covid 19, you will need something much more powerful like this 55W UV Light

https://www.amazon.ca/Pur-UV-Livingroom ... 029&sr=8-4

I have one at home, turn it on for 15 minutes after I come in the house. you don't need to keep it on for long, 15 minutes is enough, this is the same UV light used by the hospitals in between patients.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
1035 posts
1345 upvotes
Vancouver
Completely pointless product

Wash your hands, wear a mask, and don't have gatherings with people, especially indoors

They only thing this product is doing is preying on peoples fear in this covid time
Jan 6, 2006
179 posts
52 upvotes
Nanaimo
Bet it would work like a charm to charge up fluorescent fishing lures.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
2024 posts
1140 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
soupmaster666 wrote: No, they don't really work.

That is to say, yes they do typically generate germicidal UVC light, and that does kill bacteria and viruses. But germicidal UVC only works when the surface to be sanitized is absolutely clean (many bacteria can hide behind one speck of dust, and light doesn't shine through dust), and when the surface receives the appropriate dose.

The Samsung one that's been the focus of 10 different threads here was measured with readily available and cheap UVC domisetering cards. A card facing up didn't report the necessary dose until the device had completed ten 10-minite cycles. So 100 minutes to clean the top. A downward facing dosimetric test card was unaffected - thus every device to be sanitized needs to spend 100 minutes inside, then be flipped and spend another 100 minutes sanitizing the other side.
This is false.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2007
2548 posts
1583 upvotes
Niagara On The Lake
Thank you for posting this. I have been researching UVC sanitization as I run a BnB in NOTL. I think this will work perfectly considering it covers 650 SqFt. I wonder how easy it is to buy replacement UV bulbs for this device as they do have a certain life expectancy.
dealfinder324 wrote: if you want something that kills covid 19, you will need something much more powerful like this 55W UV Light

https://www.amazon.ca/Pur-UV-Livingroom ... 029&sr=8-4

I have one at home, turn it on for 15 minutes after I come in the house. you don't need to keep it on for long, 15 minutes is enough, this is the same UV light used by the hospitals in between patients.
Come visit Niagara On The Lake
Voted Prettiest, Friendliest & Most Haunted town in Canada
Support local small business
Jan 23, 2016
22 posts
4 upvotes
StealthFinder wrote: Thank you for posting this. I have been researching UVC sanitization as I run a BnB in NOTL. I think this will work perfectly considering it covers 650 SqFt. I wonder how easy it is to buy replacement UV bulbs for this device as they do have a certain life expectancy.
The light bulb supposedly lasts 8000 hours, if you use this at 8 hours a day, it will last for 3 years. I think it's perfect for Air B&Bs, make sure the room is empty when you turn the light on, and I'm sure your guests will feel safer too.
Oct 20, 2008
190 posts
424 upvotes
So how do you pronounce homedics? Ho-medics or Home-dics?
Jun 18, 2008
167 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
If we bought for 100 a few months ago, is it worth a return and rebuy?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
1442 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto
Bought few months ago for 79.

Can I get price match? Or do I need to return abs rebuy again?
Oct 17, 2007
271 posts
458 upvotes
3rd Rock
skylicious wrote: So how do you pronounce homedics? Ho-medics or Home-dics?
you pronounce Ho-mee-diccs
Sep 20, 2003
548 posts
192 upvotes
Burnaby
lhsonic wrote: These do work but UV sanitation requires direct light contact. Anything in shadows, oddly shaped, or dirty will not be properly sanitized.

These are not certified to work against COVID-19 but you can make an educated assumption it likely works. Health Canada has warned against false claims that these work against COVID because they have not received verified test results that these work for that specific purpose.

Quite simply, your phones are DISGUSTING. We use them at the toilet, we use them after contacting a bunch of disgusting surfaces, sometimes we swipe them for recipes while handling raw meat, they sit on all sorts of disgusting surfaces. While I don't know if we can positively link touching your phone, rubbing your eyes, and then getting sick, I don't think there's anything wrong with the occasional sanitization. Viruses and bacteria do exist everywhere but I just think it's funny that we are told to wash hands often but then we go and touch our phones which have been handled everywhere throughout the day once we get home.

Lab results for number of cycles required for disinfection of different bacteria and viruses: https://www.homedics.ca/uv-clean-test-results/
Did u just use the companies own claims abt efficacy where they didnt even cite these "3rd party" studies
Penalty Box
Feb 23, 2004
6003 posts
1904 upvotes
brownstar wrote: If we bought for 100 a few months ago, is it worth a return and rebuy?
Depends if you like getting money back or not.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2007
2548 posts
1583 upvotes
Niagara On The Lake
I started reading the 1 & 2 star reviews. Several complaints. How long have you had it?
dealfinder324 wrote: The light bulb supposedly lasts 8000 hours, if you use this at 8 hours a day, it will last for 3 years. I think it's perfect for Air B&Bs, make sure the room is empty when you turn the light on, and I'm sure your guests will feel safer too.
Come visit Niagara On The Lake
Voted Prettiest, Friendliest & Most Haunted town in Canada
Support local small business
Nov 14, 2019
8 posts
11 upvotes
Another suggestion for phones - get a waterproof case and wash it with soap and water! (This assumes your phone is a popular enough model to have a matching waterproof case available)

My partner has this for their phone - so much easier! - any time they want they just wash it under the tap at the same time they are washing their hands.

And the waterproof case tech has gotten much better over the years. The model they have doesn't really interfere with the touch screen or the speakers in any significant way, although it does make the phone a bit more bulky.

I'm quite jealous of how easy it is for them to clean their phone. Mine isn't a common enough model to have a waterproof case available :(