Expired Hot Deals

[Costco Business Center] Danby 12,000 BTU portable AC with wireless control - $299.97 (GTA)

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2019 11:35 pm
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Mar 8, 2019
52 posts
113 upvotes

Danby 12,000 BTU portable AC with wireless control - $299.97 (GTA)

Retailer:
Costco Business Center
Spotted at Warden and Eglinton warehouse in Toronto. Might not be used this year but posted just in case someone is looking for one.

Model: DPA120B6WDB
Costco item number: 5070012

P. S. Couldn't find it on costco.ca
Images
  • 20190810_134241.jpg
  • 20190810_134231.jpg
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 30, 2007
8389 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
this is a really bad unit I returned mine.

The cooling it was actually doing was below average but worse was the power draw - It was something like 1800 watts and very noisy.

I'd pass even at that markdown of I think $200 was ($499). It will cost you an extra $200 over a hot summer most likely. I used it for less than a week and it added about $35 to my hydro bill.

The funny thing is when I returned mine there were already 3 of them in the returns area.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 9, 2013
3039 posts
1119 upvotes
Scarborough
Does anyone know why my single hose portable A/C units never require water draining yet my dual hose I have to drain the water twice a week? I own two single hose A/C units and in the 2 years I've used them consecutively never had to drain them once.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
3813 posts
1131 upvotes
Ottawa
OrangeBerry wrote: Does anyone know why my single hose portable A/C units never require water draining yet my dual hose I have to drain the water twice a week? I own two single hose A/C units and in the 2 years I've used them consecutively never had to drain them once.
The same reason your self defrosting freezer never requires draining. They evaporate the condensation back into the room. For an AC this is not a very good idea because it won't reduce humidity in the room.
Member
User avatar
Jan 8, 2005
359 posts
28 upvotes
I bought this - doesn't seem to cool the room down very good. Costco said it has a two year warranty and I can return it anytime before then. It's loud.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 27, 2006
3299 posts
489 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
OrangeBerry wrote: Does anyone know why my single hose portable A/C units never require water draining yet my dual hose I have to drain the water twice a week? I own two single hose A/C units and in the 2 years I've used them consecutively never had to drain them once.
Giving that some thought, the dual hose is constantly drawing in more hot humid air from outside than the single hose. Hot air holds more humidity. The single hose units are drawing in air from inside which over time would become contain less humid air.

The question to you is, are you able to determine if the dual hose unit is more effective or are there too many variables having more than one AC unit?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 27, 2006
3299 posts
489 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
dirtmover wrote: The same reason your self defrosting freezer never requires draining. They evaporate the condensation back into the room. For an AC this is not a very good idea because it won't reduce humidity in the room.
No all portable and window units would or should be designed to collect and utilize as much of the condensation as possible to cool the condensor coils and exhaust that air outside.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 29, 2007
3159 posts
2335 upvotes
No Bum Deals
fergy wrote: Giving that some thought, the dual hose is constantly drawing in more hot humid air from outside than the single hose. Hot air holds more humidity. The single hose units are drawing in air from inside which over time would become contain less humid air.

The question to you is, are you able to determine if the dual hose unit is more effective or are there too many variables having more than one AC unit?
The air drawn from outside should never mix with the circulating air being cooled. Like a window rattler or a split system, inside air being cooled is circulated inside, the heat exchange is happening to the air being sucked in from outside and blown back out again. If they did mix it would make for a very inefficient system that would not work.
🢂 Want COVID-19? Run around all the stores buying non-essential goods and help spread it around. Thanks! 🢀
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 27, 2006
3299 posts
489 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
pooper wrote: The air drawn from outside should never mix with the circulating air being cooled. Like a window rattler or a split system, inside air being cooled is circulated inside, the heat exchange is happening to the air being sucked in from outside and blown back out again. If they did mix it would make for a very inefficient system that would not work.
It does in single hose unit though.
Giving it some more thought perhaps the single units the fellow has have larger diameter exhaust hoses and can more move more air? Or they could be designed at better utilizing the condensate and drawing it outside.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 29, 2007
3159 posts
2335 upvotes
No Bum Deals
fergy wrote: It does in single hose unit though.
Giving it some more thought perhaps the single units the fellow has have larger diameter exhaust hoses and can more move more air? Or they could be designed at better utilizing the condensate and drawing it outside.
Single hose have no option but to use some of the cooled air to heat exchange but this air is blown outside never back in to the room. There is a negative air pressure in the room as air is sucked from the surrounding area.
🢂 Want COVID-19? Run around all the stores buying non-essential goods and help spread it around. Thanks! 🢀
Member
Oct 24, 2017
260 posts
558 upvotes
I have the 14,000BTU version. I don’t know why everyone is shitting on the single hose models.

I have it in my master bedroom and it’s been phenomenal all summer.

I’ll grant it hasn’t been that hot here in Edmonton this summer, but for the days that have gone to 28-30, it’s been great.

Being able to turn it on at work using an app is nice as well, as my dogs can stay cool during the day and I don’t need to have it running.

My only knock against it is it tends to cycle between AC mode and fan mode quicker than my last portable AC model, but otherwise it’s been good.
Newbie
User avatar
Mar 19, 2007
50 posts
3 upvotes
belowzeros wrote: this is a really bad unit I returned mine.

The cooling it was actually doing was below average but worse was the power draw - It was something like 1800 watts and very noisy.

I'd pass even at that markdown of I think $200 was ($499). It will cost you an extra $200 over a hot summer most likely. I used it for less than a week and it added about $35 to my hydro bill.

The funny thing is when I returned mine there were already 3 of them in the returns area.
Thanks for the heads up. I was going to purchase one for my mother's apartment.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 29, 2007
3159 posts
2335 upvotes
No Bum Deals
canada5dollarbill wrote: I have the 14,000BTU version. I don’t know why everyone is shitting on the single hose models.

I have it in my master bedroom and it’s been phenomenal all summer.

I’ll grant it hasn’t been that hot here in Edmonton this summer, but for the days that have gone to 28-30, it’s been great.

Being able to turn it on at work using an app is nice as well, as my dogs can stay cool during the day and I don’t need to have it running.

My only knock against it is it tends to cycle between AC mode and fan mode quicker than my last portable AC model, but otherwise it’s been good.
If you are happy with single hose, that's great, but I find them less efficient than dual or even a window rattler and that shows in the hydro they use / cooling capacity.
The main concern is if you are pulling air from elsewhere in the building (negative air pressure) those areas have to pull warm air in from the outside to balance. It's a catch 22.
🢂 Want COVID-19? Run around all the stores buying non-essential goods and help spread it around. Thanks! 🢀
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 10, 2018
3275 posts
460 upvotes
chatbox wrote: No mention of the brand in the OP.

My wife is kinda like that...words ...and more words but miss out on keywords.
Its clear if you check the pics.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.

Top