Expired Hot Deals

Costco - Business Center (Gloucester)

Beef Ribs $9.99/kg

  • Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2021 1:32 pm
Sr. Member
Jul 7, 2013
906 posts
1238 upvotes
OttawaRF wrote: Yes, there was a lot of meat. To put in perspective, when I smoked them the first time, there were 6 of us who enjoyed them -- 1 rib for 2 people. In the package, there were 8 ribs (2 sets of 4).
In the package are the 2 sets wrapped separately in cryovac? To anyone who's bought this and can answer, TIA! :blush:

Too much for 1 sitting - want to freeze the 2nd pack to cook later in the summer and my Foodsaver is probably too small to seal this.

cheers,
:)
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2010
1016 posts
820 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: No special membership needed for the business centre. The regular card works.
Great, looking forward to trying Business Ribs
Zoomer $36 Plan Loyal
[OP]
Newbie
May 5, 2021
9 posts
24 upvotes
Ottawa
The__Rock wrote: How do you cut this?
I ended up cutting them between the bone, then smoked all 8 ribs. Split 1 rib between 2 people for a meal, and had enough for 2 meals for 6 people. We've saved the bones to make beef bone broth. This is my 2nd pack, and I have one left in the fridge.
[OP]
Newbie
May 5, 2021
9 posts
24 upvotes
Ottawa
klamchowder wrote: In the package are the 2 sets wrapped separately in cryovac? To anyone who's bought this and can answer, TIA! :blush:

Too much for 1 sitting - want to freeze the 2nd pack to cook later in the summer and my Foodsaver is probably too small to seal this.

cheers,
:)
There is one cryovac pack that contains 2× 4-rib portions (they are big). Approximate dimensions of the pack: 20×13 inches.
[OP]
Newbie
May 5, 2021
9 posts
24 upvotes
Ottawa
porksoda wrote: i usually get short ribs from asian grocery stores and they go for $3.99-$6.99 a lbs. Comes as a square-ish piece and you can get them to cut it however.
Are those ribs you are getting for $3.99-$6.99 per lb ($8.78-$15.38 per kg) beef or pork?
Member
Aug 18, 2013
289 posts
330 upvotes
Costco only sells the 4 bone short ribs....

It's either 3 bones or no bones

That being said.. it's an amazing price for short ribs :).. even if it is the 4 bone rib
Last edited by wchau85 on May 12th, 2021 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
Apr 10, 2006
506 posts
324 upvotes
OttawaRF wrote: Are those ribs you are getting for $3.99-$6.99 per lb ($8.78-$15.38 per kg) beef or pork?
i think he's talking about beef ribs. $3.99 is when it's on sale. stay away IMO.

depending on the asian - lower to mid level chinese grocery store, the quality is sometimes questionable. they sell grade A or AA the most. sometimes you think you're getting a nice cut but then the whole middle portion (which you cant see when it's a whole piece) is fat filled. I was also fooled once thinking wow, that's some nice "thick meaty cut" of short ribs just to be disappointed when I got home to find out its 2 very thin meat ribs frozen on top of each other. the meat is still edible but you can definitely taste/feel the difference vs quality cut of short ribs. i haven't tried T&T's short ribs yet so don't know if theirs is of better quality (most likely is as they're marketed as a higher end grocery).

If you want quality short ribs for grilling to make LA Galbi, Korean grocery stores is your best choice IMO. Yes, they cost quite a bit - $19.98 per LB, but the quality is superb. And because it's already sliced, you can see what you're getting. haven't bought from Canadian chain grocery stores but seeing them a few times the meat looks much better than from mid tiered chinese grocery stores.
Member
Aug 18, 2013
289 posts
330 upvotes
vanpatrick81 wrote: i think he's talking about beef ribs. $3.99 is when it's on sale. stay away IMO.

depending on the asian - lower to mid level chinese grocery store, the quality is sometimes questionable. they sell grade A or AA the most. sometimes you think you're getting a nice cut but then the whole middle portion (which you cant see when it's a whole piece) is fat filled. I was also fooled once thinking wow, that's some nice "thick meaty cut" of short ribs just to be disappointed when I got home to find out its 2 very thin meat ribs frozen on top of each other. the meat is still edible but you can definitely taste/feel the difference vs quality cut of short ribs. i haven't tried T&T's short ribs yet so don't know if theirs is of better quality (most likely is as they're marketed as a higher end grocery).

If you want quality short ribs for grilling to make LA Galbi, Korean grocery stores is your best choice IMO. Yes, they cost quite a bit - $19.98 per LB, but the quality is superb. And because it's already sliced, you can see what you're getting. haven't bought from Canadian chain grocery stores but seeing them a few times the meat looks much better than from mid tiered chinese grocery stores.
I'm Chinese and i agree with this post :)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 17, 2006
6793 posts
2576 upvotes
GTA
OttawaRF wrote: Are those ribs you are getting for $3.99-$6.99 per lb ($8.78-$15.38 per kg) beef or pork?
Beef Short Ribs.

Can you post pics of the ribs after you trimmed it and cut it up etc?
vanpatrick81 wrote: i think he's talking about beef ribs. $3.99 is when it's on sale. stay away IMO.

depending on the asian - lower to mid level chinese grocery store, the quality is sometimes questionable. they sell grade A or AA the most. sometimes you think you're getting a nice cut but then the whole middle portion (which you cant see when it's a whole piece) is fat filled. I was also fooled once thinking wow, that's some nice "thick meaty cut" of short ribs just to be disappointed when I got home to find out its 2 very thin meat ribs frozen on top of each other. the meat is still edible but you can definitely taste/feel the difference vs quality cut of short ribs. i haven't tried T&T's short ribs yet so don't know if theirs is of better quality (most likely is as they're marketed as a higher end grocery).

If you want quality short ribs for grilling to make LA Galbi, Korean grocery stores is your best choice IMO. Yes, they cost quite a bit - $19.98 per LB, but the quality is superb. And because it's already sliced, you can see what you're getting. haven't bought from Canadian chain grocery stores but seeing them a few times the meat looks much better than from mid tiered chinese grocery stores.
I go to various asian stores, i never had a bait n switch type scenario. Usually they label them as "angus" short ribs, i don't think they are angus but labelled as angus by our friendly cattle province (if the cow had 1/1000th of angus in it they can call it angus).

I usually end up making either Beef Bourguignon or smoke the short ribs. Pretty decent, i usually grab few chunks of it when they go on sale ($3.99)
Sr. Member
Apr 10, 2006
506 posts
324 upvotes
porksoda wrote: I go to various asian stores, i never had a bait n switch type scenario. Usually they label them as "angus" short ribs, i don't think they are angus but labelled as angus by our friendly cattle province (if the cow had 1/1000th of angus in it they can call it angus).

I usually end up making either Beef Bourguignon or smoke the short ribs. Pretty decent, i usually grab few chunks of it when they go on sale ($3.99)
not sure which chinese grocery stores you go to. guessing with the label of "angus" it would mean you're at the higher end ones. lower to mid-tiered ones are always labeled grade AA, never angus. i'm in peel region so the selection of chinese grocery stores can be counted with your hands plus maybe a foot. lol. don't have the selection of stores that north china town has to offer (markham, richmond hill, scarborough).

it's not really bait and switch. you see the meat in front of you, you point, they grab and they process it. i just find that when something's on sale, there might be a catch. either there is literally a 50/50 split on fat to meat ratio for pork belly and a few times had more fat than meat. or like the short ribs I mentioned where it was frozen stacked on top of each other. after that incident, i went and looked closely on their display and you can see it but if you don't pay enough attention and just glanced, you won't notice that it was like that.
Last edited by vanpatrick81 on May 12th, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
Jan 25, 2016
529 posts
705 upvotes
Toronto
porksoda wrote: Beef Short Ribs.

Can you post pics of the ribs after you trimmed it and cut it up etc?



I go to various asian stores, i never had a bait n switch type scenario. Usually they label them as "angus" short ribs, i don't think they are angus but labelled as angus by our friendly cattle province (if the cow had 1/1000th of angus in it they can call it angus).

I usually end up making either Beef Bourguignon or smoke the short ribs. Pretty decent, i usually grab few chunks of it when they go on sale ($3.99)
I agree. Beef Bourginon or a similar long and slow cook method- these fall off the bone.

The entire bottle of Red Wine in the dish gives them a great flavour and the sauce is top shelf.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 17, 2006
6793 posts
2576 upvotes
GTA
vanpatrick81 wrote: not sure which chinese grocery stores you go to. maybe you end up in the better ones. i'm in peel region so the selection of chinese grocery stores can be counted with your hands plus maybe a foot. lol. don't have the selection of stores that north china town has to offer (markham, richmond hill, scarborough).

it's not really bait and switch. you see the meat in front of you, you point, they grab and they process it. i just find that when something's on sale, there might be a catch. either there is literally a 50/50 split on fat to meat ratio for pork belly and a few times had more fat than meat. or like the short ribs I mentioned where it was frozen stacked on top of each other. after that incident, i went and looked closely on their display and you can see it but if you don't pay enough attention and just glanced, you won't notice that it was like that.
I do go to the places in markham, scarborough, richmond hill area. Nowadays lot of them are popping up everywhere. One of my fav ones to go to (in Toronto) is C&C off of donmills just north of eglinton where memories of japan used to be, in that area.
Sr. Member
Apr 10, 2006
506 posts
324 upvotes
porksoda wrote: I do go to the places in markham, scarborough, richmond hill area. Nowadays lot of them are popping up everywhere. One of my fav ones to go to (in Toronto) is C&C off of donmills just north of eglinton where memories of japan used to be, in that area.
ah yes, been to C&C. that was a nice, clean and looked like a higher tiered store. the nice and clean part should be a dead giveaway that its a higher tiered. LOL. the other one I liked is the newly opened one by first markham place - freshway foodmart. where the old movie theatre was (i think movie theatre or home outfitters).
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 17, 2006
6793 posts
2576 upvotes
GTA
vanpatrick81 wrote: ah yes, been to C&C. that was a nice, clean and looked like a higher tiered store. the nice and clean part should be a dead giveaway that its a higher tiered. LOL. the other one I liked is the newly opened one by first markham place - freshway foodmart. where the old movie theatre was (i think movie theatre or home outfitters).
Their fruit is top notch, and their sales are decent too. Before coronavirus i tried their prepared food, which was nothing to write home about.

Top