• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2019 9:08 pm
Oct 21, 2017
60 posts
24 upvotes
L3h2w8
dilligafeh wrote:
Apr 19th, 2019 10:55 am
What would you say the cost of that thing was with all the time and effort required ?
I don't doubt it tasted amazing, but I just don't have the patience and would've been nibbling at it at every stage...there would've been nothing left to sear.
Then don't do it. Sous vide and smoking is all patience. Do some chores, binge a tv show, catch up on some reading.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
2426 posts
187 upvotes
Winnipeg
Lots of good tips and tricks here. Again, watch the Franklin videos on trimming and preparing the done brisket.

I picked up a 7k brisket at Costco WPG South yesterday, $70. Looking forward to smoking it next weekend. Just have to decide if I go with my faithful Vision Kamado where I am ultra comfortable or use my horizontal stick burner that I am still learning. I'm thinking Kamado with lump and oak for a $70 piece of meat.
Jul 5, 2004
23731 posts
3242 upvotes
ESummer wrote:
Apr 19th, 2019 4:11 pm
How do you you finish your brisket from the sous vide? i'm curious about this recipe. I've been wanting to try to sous vide a brisket but been shy about it.
Let it rest for a bit, sear in a hot pan, slice against the grain
Lots of good tips and tricks here. Again, watch the Franklin videos on trimming and preparing the done brisket.

I picked up a 7k brisket at Costco WPG South yesterday, $70. Looking forward to smoking it next weekend. Just have to decide if I go with my faithful Vision Kamado where I am ultra comfortable or use my horizontal stick burner that I am still learning. I'm thinking Kamado with lump and oak for a $70 piece of meat.
Can't go wrong with the Kamado. Besides, brisket is not a piece of meat you practice on.
Apr 18, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote
[/attachment]
blind56 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2019 10:58 pm
Spotted at Crossiron/RockyView/Balzac Costco. Bunch of Prime grade brisket going for $9.99/kg, most are around the 6kg mark. No idea if other stores have it so YMMV.
Seems like a warm deal to me.

I picked one up from Costco, the kirkland signature printed label says PRIME like in your picture, but I did not get a Gold Sticker with the maple leaf in the middle. Mine just has AAA on it. I'm assuming without that gold sticker it is not Prime?
brisket1.jpg
Last edited by dealgecko2 on Apr 19th, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1317 posts
374 upvotes
Calgary
Taknarosh wrote:
Apr 19th, 2019 10:40 am
You guys think $10/kg for Canadian Prime Brisket is "warm"?
Are you guys on crack?
A specialized butcher charges double for Canadian AAA.

This is a really good deal.
Wasn’t 100% sure. I knew it was a good deal but I don’t smoke myself so wasn’t sure if people had come across better deals. I’ll change it.
Mar 8, 2010
134 posts
77 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks for the heads up - decent price.
I do debate sometimes about the meat quality @ Costco
As much as I enjoy smoking (old school, offset smoker) and concerned with the amount of time it takes. The full brisket with cap on is way more meat than I can consume (no more kids at home). So personally I prefer a pork butt/shoulder to smoke = smaller quantity of meat.
May 6, 2008
256 posts
48 upvotes
Edmonton
Thanks for the tip OP! I wouldn’t have known to look for them. It will be a nice treat
Aug 31, 2008
217 posts
55 upvotes
Newmarket/Markham
Thanks OP!
I've got my BGE and it does wonderful things for briskets. Just waiting for my SMOBOT to be delivered in the next 10-15 days. Last brisket I did cooked about 17 hours. was worth every hour.
My butcher up in Newmarket, ON charges $8.99/lbs for trimmed brisket, and $7.99/Lbs for untrimmed. I do all my own trimming anyways, so the slight discount helps, but ends up evening up anyways purely due to weight loss anyways from the hard fat.
Apr 5, 2003
280 posts
31 upvotes
Edmonton
CT911 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 2:10 pm
Thanks OP!
I've got my BGE and it does wonderful things for briskets. Just waiting for my SMOBOT to be delivered in the next 10-15 days. Last brisket I did cooked about 17 hours. was worth every hour.
My butcher up in Newmarket, ON charges $8.99/lbs for trimmed brisket, and $7.99/Lbs for untrimmed. I do all my own trimming anyways, so the slight discount helps, but ends up evening up anyways purely due to weight loss anyways from the hard fat.
First I've heard of the SMOBOT - any advantages over a CyberQ / DigiQ for controlling the damper instead of blowing air?
Aug 31, 2008
217 posts
55 upvotes
Newmarket/Markham
kashirat wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 2:46 pm
First I've heard of the SMOBOT - any advantages over a CyberQ / DigiQ for controlling the damper instead of blowing air?
For me less chance of ash blowing around and flare ups, as well less dangerous when "burping" my egg. But it's all in one's opinion as too. From what I've read and learned over the years of owning a Kamado, most temperature is regulated by the top daisy wheel/Damper more than the bottom one. But again, I'm not scientist or physicist, just what I've read in my research.

I don't know if the CyberQ or DigiQ or wifi enabled, where I know the SMOBOT is, so I can monitor and adjust temp from anywhere on my phone, no Bluetooth range issues either.
Dec 4, 2008
506 posts
59 upvotes
Montreal
dealgecko2 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2019 6:20 pm
[/attachment]

I picked one up from Costco, the kirkland signature printed label says PRIME like in your picture, but I did not get a Gold Sticker with the maple leaf in the middle. Mine just has AAA on it. I'm assuming without that gold sticker it is not Prime?
brisket1.jpg
If you paid $9.99/kg you might have paid for Prime price for a AAA cut
That being said, as I've previously mentioned, you could easily have paid double from a specialized butcher for the same AAA cut.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)